• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 20-21 Intel

skimagic

Today I watched a female snowboarder slide down Freefall for 20-30 yards on her stomach while clutching a whiskey bottle in her outstretched arms.

Zand

Im certainly a MS homer but I wont deny it has an "edge" that exists at few other places and bothers me now and again. Its a vibe caused by its blend of clientele and its volume. Those seemingly increase the chance of these types of occurrences.
Thankfully my kids have all grown up in programs where their instructors or coaches focus on responsibility and mtn citizenship....but even their groups have kids whom behave like their parents.
No offense to anyone here, but Mt Snow is what happens when you mix NJ, NY, CT, and MA. Kinda like I-95 in New Haven. The only ski area that I've ever encountered more pissed off people than Mt Snow is Alta.

Killington kinda has the same mix but always seems much more chill. Then you have Stratton which is just NYCers with Range Rovers and Lambos doing business deals on the gondola and complaining that one of the black diamonds has 5" of ungroomed snow on it.

drjeff

Before yesterday afternoon's liquid event. things were getting thin in places (I quit about 10 when the fog in the air started to produce some water droplets on my coat and goggle lens)

Cold air will help today set the base up. There's still some snow to push around in places, however there's not a bunch extra in some key places, so cold air will be key.

Heard that the potential if they loose the summit due to melting at some point, would be to push things out at Carinthia and potentially go just out of there if that happens. The GM apparently is very aggressive about trying to make the April 18th closing date they announced a few weeks back. Mother nature needs to be much more cooperative than she was the past week for that to happen

MikeW

I’d be curious to know this also. Tomorrow looks nice. How are they with winds?
Summit lifts on hold right now. Reading between the lines on the snow report, Sunbrook closed for the season, but they’re trying to rebuild some features at Carinthia. All natural snow trails closed. They had some big piles of snow that I guess they can push around. Tomorrow would be the day, though, maybe Wednesday morning before the rain. Anyone been there this last weekend?

skiur

Would u say that mt snow made more, the same, or less snow this year compared to the last few?

icecoast1

I’d be curious to know this also. Tomorrow looks nice. How are they with winds?
You're almost certain not to have summit or north face access with wind there. Once in a while you get lucky if it's blowing out of the right direction, but if it's going to be windy, Stratton is a much safer pick in Southern VT

drjeff

Would u say that mt snow made more, the same, or less snow this year compared to the last few?
Less.

Because of the lack of thaw/freezes from basically MLK Weekend through early March, and favorable storms, once they got through the post Christmas Day monsoon recovery and then covering the rest of their snowmaking terrain. The couple of extra often recovery snowmaking efforts as well as using favorable weather windows to add base to core trails atleast, just didn't happen this year.

There are numerous trails right now that do sure seem like they have a normal, or close to normal base depths for heading into the beginning of April now.

There are also other spots, like some portions of the main Cascade to Canyon route, that look like they typically would a few weeks from now.

My guess is that there's somewhere in the neighborhood of about 50 snowgun locations at various places across some core trails on the mountain where in hindsight getting another snowmaking run in those areas would of been beneficial. And while 50 snowguns sounds like a lot of locations, their system when fully cranking, depending on the type of guns and how much water is being sent to the guns has regularly had 250-300+ guns running at the same time in the past.

Some selective targeting of certain areas would of helped right now. For example, the Cascade/Canyon route I mentioned earlier, I'd say that 85-90% of it had good coverage still this past weekend, so it's not like the majority of that route was deficient in snow quantity

drjeff

You're almost certain not to have summit or north face access with wind there. Once in a while you get lucky if it's blowing out of the right direction, but if it's going to be windy, Stratton is a much safer pick in Southern VT

Once the gusts get above 35-40 out of either the Northwest (issue for mainface Summit lifts and Canyon quad and especially the Challenger lift on the Northface) or out of a generally Southerly direction (main face Summit lifts). Wind holds enter into the possibility for Mount Snow

ctdubl07

Id say they made Less snow this year due to favorable Jan/Feb temps and snowfall. I would not buy into any conjecture about expense control.
Mtn beginning to suffer with lots of random bare spots on knuckles so I suspect you'll see trail count begin to drop precipitously. A number of primary trails still have snow that could be pushed around to extend life but secondarys likely done for season.
Last weekend noticably quiet. Saturday Grand Summit was ski on all day.
No one tried to park in our driveway which is a telling sign. Sunday was a ghost town but that was crappy weather.
Did receive an email that this/next weeks free style camps were off....inferring all (or part) of Carinthia was to be shut down midweek for preservation purposes.
Heading to Vail this weekend with some some mtn staff....will report back on operations there.

MikeW

Skiid today, 1030-230. Small line at the Bubble, ski on the Quad. Soft snow turning to mashed potatoes. Perfectly blue sky. Plenty of bare spots. Laps on Chute. Glad I made the trip, though. I'll ski tomorrow morning and that's it for the season!

jaywbigred

Snow was great this weekend, particularly Saturday morning, and more particularly at Carinthia and on the North Face! Hope it lasts the next few weekends. No rain in the forecast (fingers crossed it stays that way) but I wish it was dipping below freezing a little bit more consistently at night.

Whitey

Today was the opposite of suck. North Face is holding up well. 6+ inches of mashed potatoes is the only way to ski Ripcord (and have it be good/fun). Gonna get really skinny before closing on 4/18 but I hope they keep it loose until then. Dodging the brown spots is part of the fun this time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 30

urungus

The end is near...

For Friday and Saturday, we plan to spin Canyon Express, Challenger, Nitro Express, and Discovery Shuttle. Planned trails for North Face are Chute, Free Fall, River Run, with a chance for Ripcord. To get back to the Main Base Area, we'll have Skyline to Committed to High Traverse, with Canyon, N.E. Time to Snowdance, and hopefully Roller Coaster. Beginner terrain will be available only on Launchpad via the Discovery Shuttle. At Carinthia, The Gulch will be open with 11 features, Nitro with 14 features, Junkyard has 2 features, and Upper Fool's Gold will be open as a ski trail.

These 4 lifts are scheduled to spin from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.

Beginning Sunday, all operations will be out of the Carinthia Base Area. Nitro Express is scheduled to spin from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday and provide access to ski trails as well as a trail with park features, weather permitting. We plan to remain open daily at Carinthia through April 18.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The end is near...

For Friday and Saturday, we plan to spin Canyon Express, Challenger, Nitro Express, and Discovery Shuttle. Planned trails for North Face are Chute, Free Fall, River Run, with a chance for Ripcord. To get back to the Main Base Area, we'll have Skyline to Committed to High Traverse, with Canyon, N.E. Time to Snowdance, and hopefully Roller Coaster. Beginner terrain will be available only on Launchpad via the Discovery Shuttle. At Carinthia, The Gulch will be open with 11 features, Nitro with 14 features, Junkyard has 2 features, and Upper Fool's Gold will be open as a ski trail.

These 4 lifts are scheduled to spin from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.

Beginning Sunday, all operations will be out of the Carinthia Base Area. Nitro Express is scheduled to spin from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday and provide access to ski trails as well as a trail with park features, weather permitting. We plan to remain open daily at Carinthia through April 18.

Wow that's bad. Crazy not to be skiing core trails like Ridge or Lodge at close.

chuckstah

Wow that's bad. Crazy not to be skiing core trails like Ridge or Lodge at close.
I was there yesterday. Everything on the front side is toasted. There was basically no snow on the summit after 2. The N face skied great, but getting out of there is " interesting". Ripcord open, soft and loads of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_220501_244.jpg
    IMG_20210407_220501_244.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 13