• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 20-21 Intel

SLyardsale

Perhaps they can teach the extra help to drive a groomer. If anybody skied Plummet today, they'd know what I'm talking about.
They lost the Boyd brothers in the early covid months. Apparently, they were the only ones who could groom in the Valley.

slatham

I got an email from Epic showing future availability for Mt Snow and Okemo. I haven't skied either as Epic mountains, but have skied Stowe, but no email? So I am wondering if they are having more trouble selling out at Mt Snow/Okemo? Or do they know I have a place at Bromley (which one of you told them?!?!?). To be clear, when I bought Epic passes at Stowe I used home address.

It was also interesting to see Mt Snow $106 for Monday, dropping by the end of the week to $93 which appears to be the lowest price. Thats not terrible......

gittist

I got an email from Epic showing future availability for Mt Snow and Okemo. I haven't skied either as Epic mountains, but have skied Stowe, but no email? So I am wondering if they are having more trouble selling out at Mt Snow/Okemo? Or do they know I have a place at Bromley (which one of you told them?!?!?). To be clear, when I bought Epic passes at Stowe I used home address.

It was also interesting to see Mt Snow $106 for Monday, dropping by the end of the week to $93 which appears to be the lowest price. Thats not terrible......
What triggered your email from EPIC? I have a season pass and am wondering because I didn't get anything from them.

abc

I have a pass. I didn't get any availability email.

Strangely, Hunter is sold out on Saturday and Sunday, but not tomorrow. I guess people really don't feel like skiing on New Year's Day? It's not like you can go out and get hammered on New Year's Eve... Not to mention Saturday is expected to RAIN (windy too)!

Edd

Strangely, Hunter is sold out on Saturday and Sunday, but not tomorrow. I guess people really don't feel like skiing on New Year's Day? It's not like you can go out and get hammered on New Year's Eve... Not to mention Saturday is expected to RAIN (windy too)!
It’s not remotely strange that people aren’t expecting to ski New Years Day. They can get hammered at home or Airbnb just fine.

slatham

Not sure what triggered the email, but the two came only minutes apart. I do not have an Epic pass and the email was definitely geared toward non-pass day trippers.

JimG.

Staff member
Not sure what triggered the email, but the two came only minutes apart. I do not have an Epic pass and the email was definitely geared toward non-pass day trippers.
Yeah I got those emails as well. Definitely geared towards non or past Epic resorts customers.

I don't do reservations so they'll never get my business.

cdskier

I received 2 e-mails from Epic yesterday about availability at a couple of their resorts as well a minute apart from each other. One was for Hunter and the other for Vail itself. It has probably been 10-15 years since I've been to Hunter (although I have been on their e-mail list continuously for a while so at least that makes sense). Vail though makes no sense. I've never skied out west or signed up for any mailing lists or snow reports for any western resorts.

At the time of the e-mail, Hunter was filled on Jan 1, 2, and 3 while Vail was not sold out a single day in the next 3 weeks (according to the calendar in the e-mail at least).

abc

So perhaps it's from each mountain individually.

I recalled receiving a bunch of e-mail from just about every Vail owned mountain during the run up to the season. I found them too much and unsubscribed from most of them.

So that may explain why I don't receive any of these new batch of emails.

cdskier

So I went back into one of the e-mails and clicked the "Update your preferences" button at the bottom just to see what they have on file for me. Here's my "Resort Interest" options that they have on file for that particular e-mail account:
1609435733924.png

Vail isn't checked...so still no idea why they sent me Vail. Stowe is checked, but the last e-mail from Stowe was on July 24th... Wildcat I receive about 1-2 e-mails a month for, although last one was 12/10. Okemo realistically SHOULD be checked (I received e-mails from them on a regular basis until their communications transitioned to Vail Corporate. My Okemo mailing list subscription should have been integrated when Vail bought them like obviously the Stowe, Hunter, and Wildcat ones were).

Interestingly enough, Mt Snow also isn't checked, yet I do see e-mails from Vail about Mt Snow as recently as 12/8. Amazing that Vail can't even get something simple like this to work. The "Resort Interests" you have checked are what should drive which e-mails you get. It isn't complicated at all from an IT perspective to get this to work properly...

slatham

I checked my preferences and I do have Mt Snow and Okemo selected, but I also have Stowe but did not get an email. I checked Stowe’s web site and they have tickets available post holiday other than Sunday MLK weekend. But perhaps availability is low enough to not warrant proactive emails? In any event next week midweek is $123. Go out far enough and cheapest is $103.

I also speculate that perhaps the newly acquired areas still maintain their own email lists.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

The stereotype that New Year's is dead at the ski resorts is very very true. Also true that it picks up after 11am.

mattskis

How have morning lines been this week to pick up lift tickets? Heard it was a mess after the big snow the week before xmas.

Also, anyone know if sundance lodge is open and if i could pick up lift tickets there? Thanks.

njdiver85

Morning lines have not been too bad. Nothing like the mayhem on the Friday after the big snow.

njdiver85

No truth to any of Mount Snow's terrain status reports lately, or maybe it's been going on all season and I'm just starting to notice. For example, Choke keeps being shown as open yet it is still closed (though perhaps maybe the top 20 feet by Link is open). Snowdance shown today as groomed, but seems they only groomed the flat runout at the bottom. Overall, seems they are doing the technical bare minimum to call something "open" or "groomed". Overall, the grooming has been very poor, leading to many, many serious accidents the last few days due to the large presence of ice everywhere. Yet they represent trails as groomed that clearly are not. A number of years ago, Mount Snow made use of a "renovator" attachment to chop up some of the icy trails and re-groom. Probably time consuming process so Vail has said no-go.

FBGM

No truth to any of Mount Snow's terrain status reports lately, or maybe it's been going on all season and I'm just starting to notice. For example, Choke keeps being shown as open yet it is still closed (though perhaps maybe the top 20 feet by Link is open). Snowdance shown today as groomed, but seems they only groomed the flat runout at the bottom. Overall, seems they are doing the technical bare minimum to call something "open" or "groomed". Overall, the grooming has been very poor, leading to many, many serious accidents the last few days due to the large presence of ice everywhere. Yet they represent trails as groomed that clearly are not. A number of years ago, Mount Snow made use of a "renovator" attachment to chop up some of the icy trails and re-groom. Probably time consuming process so Vail has said no-go.
Renovators work ok but need a deep base and you have to till twice to even have an OK product. They also beat the piss out of a cat. Mount Snows grooming is weak at best. Vail would fix if they could find operators and or someone to train and work with them. Instead it’s just drive around with your tiller down and call it groomed.

drjeff

They definitely groomed maybe the skiers/riders left say 1/3rd to maybe half of Snowdance last night. I saw the lights of the cats out the window of my condo last night making a few laps up and down it. And my son and I about 9:20 this morning, definitely found some corduroy on it today

Definitely needs some resurfacing, as they started doing up on Snowdance Pitch last night, as there are numerous patches of world cup race hill quality snow underneath the loose granular.

It's from a combo of the freezing rain/rain event the previous weekend, and the simple fact that as a core trail, Snowdance gets worked on by the cats basically every night it's not warm and pouring rain, which ultimately over time compacts the base down below where the tiller can reach.

In the past, they have tended to manage this with a relatively quick (less than 24hrs) run with the fan guns usually just before the weekend. With how much snowmaking they had going on all over all 4 faces of the mountain, late last week, even with the water pumping capacity they now have, probably not enough to also light up the fans on trails like Snowdance, Ridge, Lodge and Long John, while they were running guns on Little Dipper, South Bowl, Ego Alley, Charlie's Chase, Yardsale, Drop, Rollercoaster, Committed, Ripcord, Fool's Gold and the half pipe area.

My hunch is that the core trails get a touch up in the next couple of days