• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need help deciding where to visit regularly (from Pittsburgh)

jimmywilson69

I vacationed for a week on Canandaigua this summer and it was one of the best vacations I took for a while. There are "mountains" to the west and south (that is where Bristol is) and yes lots of good hiking. So much that I'd say we didn't even really scratch the surface.

If you like Beer Other Half Finger Lakes is right there. If you've never heard of them, their Beer is Primo...

Canandaigua is definitely more of a "locals" lake for people who live in Rochester. Not really any wineries down there and that's not a bad thing. Lots of good wineries within an hour to the east on Keuka and Seneca.

cdskier

Leaning towards the fingerlakes for the warm outdoor activities and Bristol just being good enough (and somewhat close proximity). Will prob want to go out west once ever 1-2 years but that is fine too. Canandaigua might be the move - is there still a lot of good and diverse hiking around there?
Canandaigua is under an hour from Letchworth State Park which while I've never been there all the photos I've seen have been stunning. From Canandaigua you're also about an hour from Watkins Glen State park which has great hiking. Finger Lakes National Forest is about an hour. The state parks by Ithaca are also under 1.5 hours. Those are the "big" popular places. There's a bunch of more local options right around Canandaigua as well for when you want to stay local.

jimk

No lake activities anywhere close by.

Snowshoe gets ample snow, but the weather there is freaking awful. Like 2-3 days a week no matter the season you are stuck in dense clouds and fog being at 4800 feet. I lived there for a little over a year and I found the weather massively depressing.

They have two trails off the back that are 1500 vertical and legit, but the vast majority of the mountain is 600 vertical or so

I actually find Seven Springs to be a better mountain overall. Seven Springs is like an hour from Pittsburgh.

If I lived in Pittsburgh, I'd be looking for a place near Youghiogheny River lake and just ski Seven Springs; then fly out west for better skiing. That sounds far more enjoyable to me than driving seven hours frequently to ski Gore or Greek Peak.
There's a lot about this post that I would agree with.

kendo

Watkins Glen State Park and Letchworth State Park are both great, but during the summer and on weekends will always be busy.

Letchworth should be a National park, after all, it is the Grand Canyon of the East! Spectacular gorge. Huge dam at the North end. Great trails along the west rim and overlooking the upper and lower falls at the south end. Cabins and campsites book up fast. Letchworth State Park (ny.gov)

Any direction you travel in the Finger Lakes, you'll find great hiking. Extensive trail networks. All easily accessible.

Some highlights:

Go Finger Lakes – Your Free Guide to the Best Hikes, Bikes, Paddles and Outdoor Adventures

Favorite Hikes on the Finger Lakes Trail – Go Finger Lakes

High Tor Wildlife Mgmt area at the south end of Canandaigua Lake is also great for hiking and more.

High Tor Wildlife Area – Go Finger Lakes

There's so much to explore in the region and it's all easily accessible. Here's a few pics taken last fall from a short hike along Hemlock Lake. Forever wild as it's the water source for Rochester.

FLX_1.jpg

FLX_2.jpg

FLX_3.jpg

FLX_4.jpg

FLX_5.jpg

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Watkins Glen State Park and Letchworth State Park are both great, but during the summer and on weekends will always be busy.

Letchworth should be a National park, after all, it is the Grand Canyon of the East! Spectacular gorge. Huge dam at the North end. Great trails along the west rim and overlooking the upper and lower falls at the south end. Cabins and campsites book up fast. Letchworth State Park (ny.gov)

Any direction you travel in the Finger Lakes, you'll find great hiking. Extensive trail networks. All easily accessible.

Some highlights:

Go Finger Lakes – Your Free Guide to the Best Hikes, Bikes, Paddles and Outdoor Adventures

Favorite Hikes on the Finger Lakes Trail – Go Finger Lakes

High Tor Wildlife Mgmt area at the south end of Canandaigua Lake is also great for hiking and more.

High Tor Wildlife Area – Go Finger Lakes

There's so much to explore in the region and it's all easily accessible. Here's a few pics taken last fall from a short hike along Hemlock Lake. Forever wild as it's the water source for Rochester.

View attachment 50634

View attachment 50635

View attachment 50636

View attachment 50637

View attachment 50638
+1000

jimmywilson69

nice hike around Hemlock. My buddy and I did a bike ride around Candice which is also a wild lake just to the east of Hemolock. We were going to do a ride around Hemlock but never got to it... Seems like a poor choice now...

kendo

nice hike around Hemlock. My buddy and I did a bike ride around Candice which is also a wild lake just to the east of Hemolock. We were going to do a ride around Hemlock but never got to it... Seems like a poor choice now...

If you get back up there, check out Rob's Trail - connecting Canadice Lake with Hemlock Lake. The trail's split into 2 sections with both trailheads accessible from Route 15A. It's a great workout getting up/down to both lakes! Waterfalls on the Hemlock trail. visit-robs-trail-ny.pdf (nature.org)