• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need some info re. wax

Razor

I am clueless about using wax. What kind do you recommend for typical spring New England conditions, how often should you apply it, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

snowmonster

I wax my skis after about 2 or 3 trips (i.e., after every weekend) since I ride them pretty hard and the "white spots" start showing. I'm not into watching the temps too closely (yet) so I just go with the All-temperature Glidewax from Swix. This works well in spring. Costs about $20 for the tub and is a good deal.

If you're into temperature watching, then you probably should go for the CH 10 or LF 10.

Razor

Beano, I was thinking of something I could carry with me and apply as needed as the conditions warranted.

BeanoNYC

Beano, I was thinking of something I could carry with me and apply as needed as the conditions warranted.

Any type of universal rub on wax will do. Liquid wax is easier to work with than a crayon type. Since you won't be ironing a wax in, it will wear down quicker. If your skis are tough to turn or if your bases are starting to look "chalky" it's time for another coat.

Others on this forum don't wax at all and seem content...it's a matter of personal choice if you want to wax or not. See what works for you.

drjeff

In spring conditions with wet snow, the importance of wax tends to be greater. What the wax does is apply a hydrophobic layer between your base(s) and the snow. The more water penetration into the base, the sticker and lower glide characteristics you'll get. That being said, in really wet spring snow, especially on flatter trails/surfaces, you'll still get that lovely "sticky snow" sensation with a freshly waxed ski/board, just not as much as with a non-waxed one.

In general, to really beat the sticky snow, stop using a flat ski surface on the snow, get up on edge and make bigger, rounder turns with less of a transition zone(flat ski on the snow) between turns. It breaks up all the "suction" that the water creates with your base.

snoseek

spring structure is key. Rub in wax sucks but if you must the swix f4 past in a small tin can works o.k.