• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New England Waterfalls

M

maverickdave

Tannery it is!

So I went to a few waterfalls this weekend, and decided on Tannery. The only problem, though, is that I'm going to have a tough time getting her to go out that far (even for a waterfall/geocache). So what I wanted to do was go out to western mass somewhere the night before (which would be 5/1) and do a nice night in a hotel and a nice dinner (I was thinking the Hotel Northampton). Then I could pull the "you got a romantic dinner, now I get to go geocaching" card, and all would be good. However, my lack of planning has led to the H.N. being fully booked that weekend. Can anyone recommend a nice place out that way? Somewhere near the 91/Route 2 junction would be ideal. Thanks!

T-minus-12 days and counting....8)

-Dave

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I don't know about area lodging, but if you're in the I-91 / Rte 2 area, you should visit Shelburne Falls. It's a nice, quaint area, with a beautiful dam, the Bridge of Flowers, the Mole Hollow Candle factory (dip your own), a glass blowing studio, nice restaurants overlooking the river...

It's a good place for a romantic-ish getaway.

SilentCal

I'll second Shelburne Falls. The Bridge of Flowers is a must see as well. As for Lodging you may have a hard time to the fact that school vacations sometimes fill up many places. There are some places near UMass but that might be out of the way for you. Good Luck

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Dave,

This is NOT your boss. :D :D :wink:

It may be a little out of the way, but the Country Inn and Suites in Holyoke is a real nice place. Right next to the Delaney House Restaurant, which serves an excellent dinner and is somewhat upscale. Our company x-mas party was held there for the past two years and the food has been great. It's on Rt. 5 a few miles south of exit 18 I believe. If you're heading north on I-91 it's on the right hand side, right next to the highway. Keep going north, take the next exit, and drive south till you hit it.

Another option is the Red Roof Inn in Sunderland on Rt. 5 at exit 24. Nothing fancy, but it is a place to sleep. Only a few hundred yards from Yankee Candle, which is a nice stop. We ate at the restaurant at Yankee Candle once and the food was good but VERY pricey. I'll also give a nod to the bridge of flowers, especially at this time of year.

Good Luck. :D

jjmcgo

Great book, Greg.

Bash Bish Falls gets my full endorsement for this important moment since my wife and I used it for that purpose 33 years ago and have returned for many romantic moments. There is a parking lot with picnic area and a 15-minute slight, uphill walk to the Falls which are about 30-40 feet high and split by a rock at the point the water goes over the cliff so the falls are split into two streams that land in one pool.

M

maverickdave

This weekend!

Alrighty all, this is the weekend...hopefully the weather will hold out in Florida, MA! I have dinner/B&B reservations for afterwards, and a buddy who's scared crapless that "the plan" isn't going to work out. I'll post here again on monday to let you all know the details. Thanks a *TON* for all of your help!

-Dave

M

maverickdave

ticks????

are you guys messing w/me, or is it actually tick season out there? that might throw off my cargo-shorts plan....

-Dave

Mike P.

The ticks are out in CT & I can't see why they would not be out in CT river valley area or MA either.

i would have been pulling your leg if I mentioned Poison Ivy & being careful where you lay down.

skican

Since last week I have pulled 3 ticks from the cats and one big mamamba tick off the dog. I live in Mass and it's definitely tick season. Everyone gets their bath this weekend and Frontline next week.

Don't forget your DEET.

Good Luck!

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

The ticks came out in southern NH a few weeks ago. I hope their not as bad as last year.

M

maverickdave

finally, the result....

Holy cow!!! I can't believe I forgot to post results here!!! It's amazing how many millions of things happen after SUCCESSFULLY GETTING ENGAGED 8)

Everything worked out more or less as planned. I was really, really nervous for a couple of reasons, but it worked out in the end...full story below:

My buddy got off to a little bit of a late start, so I had to dawdle a few times on the way out there ("ooh, honey, let's look at this apple orchard..."). As we were driving out there, along the deerfield river, I noticed that the river looked awfully low. So, naturally, I was thinking the waterfall would be non-existent. Nothing I could do about that, so we pressed on... Now, one of my problems was figuring out how to explain to my girlfr...err, fiance...why we had to drive so far off the beaten path, then hike down a trail. The explanation wound up being that, when I was going to school in western mass, this waterfall was one of my favorate spots to go sit, and, since "we're going right by it anyways". So we mosey down the road to get to Tannery, and who do I see coming back out from the falls, but my buddy's girlfriend. She was driving his car, because he didn't want to make the almost-3-hr drive alone, and then leave the car where Gina could see it. I backed up at about 30 mph, and she turned the other way down the street. Quick thinking on her part. You should've seen how much I was sweating, though....

So we got to the road to the trailhead, and there were big concrete blocks in the way. We parked behind the blocks and started walking down. Well, it was more like I started dragging her down. I sent my camera buddy signals the whole way down, using the motorola walkie-talkies that we bought for the event. As we were walking, we got passed by some dirt bike/atv people, who were really nice. Apparently they had already seen my buddy walking down the path with a single rose and an SLR camera, so he let them in on the plan to try to get us some extra privacy...

When we got to the trailhead, though, I saw the ATVs at the top. I did'nt know that my buddy had talked to them already, so I thought they went down to the falls. Again, I got more than a little nervous. When we got to within sight of the base of the falls, though, I could see they weren't there. I didn't even see my spy until we were walking down the final steps to the falls...he was all the way down where the two streams meet, just looking downstream - hidden in plain sight, as they say. We walked out to the rocks in the pool at the base of the falls, and she found hte rose that he planted. I asked the question, and she just stared at me. I stared back, and she just continued. After I almost passed out from nerves, she finally came back with the 'yes' and the rest, as they say, is history.

Here's two of the pics that my friend took: http://www.wickedbig.net/pics/falls/1.jpg
http://www.wickedbig.net/pics/falls/2.jpg

Thanks again so much to everyone here who helped out! Hopefully I'll get a chance to buy you all a beer someday :beer:

EDIT: pointed the picture links to my own server....[/b]

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
erm...

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /photos617/1/12/52/92/50/1/150925212105_0_ALB.jpg on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.27 Server at im61.ofoto.com Port 80

M

maverickdave

let's try this again, shall we?

http://www.wickedbig.net/pics/falls/1.jpg
http://www.wickedbig.net/pics/falls/2.jpg

apparently ofoto wasn't a fan of my mooching :)

oh, and the other part that I forgot to mention....Gina realized that there must've been someone else there at some point to lay the rose down (she still has no idea pics were taken). I told her how we drove right by his car, and her response was "woah, i could've sworn it was a girl in the car. He's pretty feminine, I guess"

got a kick out of that one :)