• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New job/second career for someone in their 50's

podunk77

So we all know there's a bazillion available jobs out there, but could someone suggest a "second-career-type" job for someone in their 50's who's been in a high-paying, high stress job dealing with hostile members of the public for almost 30 years, and who's decided he just can't do it anymore? I'd love to think there's some little technical job I could be trained for, where I could just sit in a room and do what's expected of me without all the BS that comes from dealing with the public. I know I'll have to take a cut in pay, but that's fine... I've got almost thirty years in the state retirement system so I'll get a good pension when the time comes, but Lordy Lordy I just have to do something different for the next few years :)

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hospitals are always looking for Biomedical Engineers if by technical, you mean you are good at fixing stuff.

IceEidolon

Vail GM - lots of new openings and all you have to do is record apology videos - everything else runs out of Broomfield.

/s

Richard Lineback

So we all know there's a bazillion available jobs out there, but could someone suggest a "second-career-type" job for someone in their 50's who's been in a high-paying, high stress job dealing with hostile members of the public for almost 30 years, and who's decided he just can't do it anymore? I'd love to think there's some little technical job I could be trained for, where I could just sit in a room and do what's expected of me without all the BS that comes from dealing with the public. I know I'll have to take a cut in pay, but that's fine... I've got almost thirty years in the state retirement system so I'll get a good pension when the time comes, but Lordy Lordy I just have to do something different for the next few years :)
I hope that I will manage to find some good job as well when the time comes. I hope that the internet technologies will be more developed than they are today and the range of jobs will be wider ;)

Last edited:

David Lyncher

I hope that I will manage to find some good job as well when the time comes. I hope that the internet technologies will be more developed than they are today and you will get what you want. In case you run an online store I highly recommend to have a very close look at Priceva if you want to offer the best price on the market!
On the other hand many modern professions may disappearz because of the development of Internet technology :(

Last edited: