• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Orleans (recommendations?)

Edd

Leaving later today with a few buddies and staying for 4 nights. I'm psyched but I've never been. Any food or music venue advice is appreciated.

If I don't get arrested I'll consider this trip a win!

ScottySkis

Leaving later today with a few buddies and staying for 4 nights. I'm psyched but I've never been. Any food or music venue advice is appreciated.

If I don't get arrested I'll consider this trip a win!

I wad their like 10 years ago for only 2 days, all I remember is the girl's will show off everything they got for the beads , so bring lots of beads, and get the Hurricane drink sold everywhere, have great times I'm sure you will.

wtcobb

There was a good piano bar with decent food on Decatur St. called Scarlet O'Hara's - not sure if it's still open, but it was a few years ago. The owner had a Zydeco club down the far end (east side) of Bourbon too, a bit off the main tourist strip. A bit of a run down joint, but they jammed stadium seats into the back so you could sit around the band on the floor. A pretty good time.

For an absolute hole in the wall check out Evelyn's Place on Chartres. The owner is an old timer from Pittsfield MA with some great stories about hopping the MA-NY state line to catch the last dime-a-dance shows after all the MA clubs closed early. Great red beans and rice recipe there too.

NOLA is one of my favorite cities. Have fun, and be safe, but have more fun!

ctenidae

Get out of the French Quarter some. Get off of Bourbon Street.
Go hang out around Tulane
See if there are any festivals outside of NO going on, especially south and west of town- Thibodaux has a "Sugar and Spice Festival" hosted by teh VFD that was a lot of fun many years ago- 55 gallon drums of crawdads pured out on tables. Good times.

Skimaine

There are great bars and music venues all over the French quarter. A stroll down Bourbon on Saturday night is a must. On Sunday or Monday check- out Frenchman Street. There are a number of small clubs with lots of locals and a wide variety of music. Frenchmen's is just outside the quarter -the opposite end from Canal Street. Spotted Cat, Blue Nile, d.b.a. New Orleans and others are basically right next to each other.

A required stop on any trip to NOLA includes Acme Oyster House. Raw bar is great and the chargrilled oysters are to die for. I suggest going for a late lunch as it can be crowded. Also required is a stop at Cafe Du Monde for cafe au lait and an order of Beignets (French donuts).

Pat O'Brians, House of Blues and Margaritaville are a a bit touristy but still solid venues. Be sure to knock back a few Abita Ambers and some Purple Haze. Please provide a trip report!

Skimaine

A couple more food suggestions - Three Muses on Frenchmen's. Great small plates and a great Jazz venue. Johnny's Po Boys is the place for NOLA's version of subs, grinders, heroes, etc. K-Pauls for lunch.

If your are looking for day time adventure, consider an airboat swamp tour. It is a bit expensive and kind of touristy, but well worth it. We used Louisiana Tour Company and they were excellent. If you go, sign up for the smallest airboat (6 person I think) and go in the morning.