• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New (to me) mountain suggestions?

C-Rex

This season I'm looking to check out some new mountains. Below is where I've already been. I love glades, technical terrain, and more "natural" style trails. i.e. not smooth, wide super highways. What do you guys suggest?

I've been to (in no particular order):

Mt. Snow
Stratton
Okemo
Killington/Pico
Jay Peak*
Smuggs*
Stowe*
Jiminy Peak
Berkshire East
Catamount
Butternut
Waterville Valley
Mt. Sunapee
Sunday River (only once, and many years ago)
Shawnee Peak
Sugarloaf*
Ski Sundown

Gore really interests me, and Whiteface as well. I'd also love to check out more NH areas. So where's the good stuff? And keep in mind that I snowboard so Mad River Glen is (unfortunately) not an option.

xlr8r

Sugarbush seems like it would be perfect for you. Also check out Burke and Cannon

C-Rex

If they'd allow it, MRG would be at the top of my list. Pretty lame that they still have their heads up their asses.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Magic is notably absent from your list given your terrain preferences and your location. Probably the closest commute for you and would 100% offer the terrain you're looking for.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Gore has some great glades, steeper then most anything in south Vermont. Everything off the High Peaks Chair is awesome and never really crowded.

Anklebiter

Is see nobody mentioned any Maine resorts.

Saddleback- Never skied it yet, but from what others have said and the video I've seen (tree skiing/snowboarding). It looks like it would be a good fit.

Mt Abram- Close to Sunday River. This is from their website- With our 44 trails, Maine’s first “Boundary to Boundary” ski policy, and 550 acres, we have the best terrain Maine can offer.

I'd +1 for Sugarbush (I loved the place).

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I love Gore, however, as a snowboarder, you gotta pay attention to the trail map and avoid the dotted lines (traverses). They are easy on Tele skis, not bad on alpine skis, and utter hell on a snowboard, particularly on a powder day.

i would think a Gore/Whiteface trip would be perfect for you.

BenedictGomez

Plattekill + Bolton Valley are the 2 tiny gems that i find most people haven't skied. I'll take a day at one of those over a a giant mega resort 9 days out of 10.

bdfreetuna

I wouldn't call Bolton a "tiny gem"... it's one heck of a gem but it's also a good size area. Bolton has some of my favorite woods, the place is underrated and understated.

Bene288

Gore would match your criteria and is one I am comfortable suggesting. I see plenty of snowboarders there. So many people make it seem like every trail is an uphill climb. There are some cross country/traverse spots, but there's usually beginner skiers burning out their shoulders and tris just pushing themselves when the snowboarders casually walk by. (Unless there's tons of powder).

twinplanx

C-rex, I'm just curious as to why to you put an asterisk next to some of the areas you listed? As for new(to you)... I'd say Gore, Magic, & Plattikill are all deserve some attention.

Euler

I just spent the past two days at Sutton in southern Quebec, right across the border from Jay. It's right up your alley... Tons of trees ,twisting trails that follow the contours of the mountain and a great feel overall. Trip report coming when I get home and get access to a real keyboard.