• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New U2 Song

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Well, I expected the same old U2, which I was never crazy about. I'll give em credit, it's different, but still not sure I like it. Sounds a combination of a lot like other bands from the past.

ComeBackMudPuddles

same old U2

Which "same old U2"?? Pre-Unforgettable Fire U2? Unforgettable Fire-Joshua Tree-Rattle n Hum U2? Achtung Baby-Zooropa-Passengers U2? Pop U2? All That You Can't Leave Behind-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb U2?

Not to be a PIA, but, "same old U2" doesn't really make sense, if you know the whole catalogue.

Yes, I am a fan.

PA Ridge Racer

Which "same old U2"?? Pre-Unforgettable Fire U2? Unforgettable Fire-Joshua Tree-Rattle n Hum U2? Achtung Baby-Zooropa-Passengers U2? Pop U2? All That You Can't Leave Behind-How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb U2?

Not to be a PIA, but, "same old U2" doesn't really make sense, if you know the whole catalogue.

Yes, I am a fan.

So true. I'd place it in the AB, Zooropa, Passengers category. Obviously where the album will fall remains to be seen. Can't wait to see / hear this live.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

Yes, I am a fan.
LOL! I wouldn't consider myself a U2 "fan" but I am always amused by characteristics of songs being attributed to old or new U2. I am somewhat familiar with the band to enjoy the albums that most fans would consider departures such as Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop. The classic pre-Achtung stuff was good but so over played. Everything post-Pop has sucked major, IMO. :-D So I am neither an old or new U2 fan, but somewhere in the middle... but then again people said All That... was old U2 so I guess they got me there. LOL. Any ways, at least they didn't make Joshua Tree over a million times. Distinctive sound but definitely different sounds on most albums, often times in significant changes.

drjeff

Whether a U2 fan or not(I am), as a music fan you have to appreciate the ability they've had to many times over reinvent their sound and go where their current music interests/influences take them.

Plus, IMHO, their live shows that I've seen(6 of them to date) have been some of the best that my eyes and ears have experienced!

frozencorn

So true. I'd place it in the AB, Zooropa, Passengers category. Obviously where the album will fall remains to be seen. Can't wait to see / hear this live.

According to RS, it's in the Achtung-Zooropa mold, which pleases me immensely. However, this first taste doesn't do it for me. Hoping for better.

ComeBackMudPuddles

From the LA Times:

Snap Judgment: U2's new single, 'Get on Your Boots'
01:12 PM PT, Jan 19 2009

bonoandedge500.jpg

Bono and his band of merry men are not ones to miss a window of hope. And so on the eve of Barack Obama's inauguration -- just hours after the Irish rock ambassadors entertained the president-elect with their MLK Day anthem and their unofficial post-9/11 elegy at the Lincoln Memorial -- U2 unveiled a new single. Way to claim your spot on the "Yes, We Can" caravan, boys!

"Get on Your Boots" is a first taste from the band's new long-player, "No Line on the Horizon," which hits the global marketplace Feb. 15. Hear "Get on Your Boots" and read details about the album here. (Most exciting tidbit: The digipak edition will include a film "companion to the album" by Anton Corbjin.)

Pundits are already splitting hairs about "GOYB" -- does it sound like Elvis Costello circa "Pump It Up" or the Temptations classic "Ball of Confusion"? Both connections are plausible, and there's also a fuzzy Stooges-style guitar riff that would have made Ron Asheton chuckle. But the fusion "GOYB" represents is hardly new for U2 or longtime producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

U2 got its mojo back with "Achtung Baby" 15 years ago by realizing that as white guys, they had to loosen up and get a little dirty if they wanted to explore black-invented sounds. Since then, one of its many missions has been to meld rock and soul in a way that doesn't feel retro and honors both traditions.

"GOYB" is sharper-edged than "Mysterious Ways," faster than "Elevation" and more non-linear than "Vertigo." It's dance-rock with a few small, tricky changes: a very Eno-esque bridge to nowhere, based on the phrase "you don't know how beautiful you are" that drags out the beat like Silly Putty, and a break near the end that has Bono rapping "let me in the sound" over a muscular Larry Mullen Jr. drumbeat that yells "I love rock and roll!"

As usual, modern rock's beloved grand uncles have been absorbing the lessons taught by their progeny. "Get on Your Boots" is quick and multi-layered, more like the dance rock preferred by kids who grew up on electronic music than a baby-boomer boogie fest.

Though it's tempting to stir up a rivalry between the alt-rock era's most beloved British band and its iPod-era successor, "Get on Your Boots" sounds nothing like Radiohead. MGMT seems like a more relevant influence. This is happy stuff, almost hedonistic, with not a whiff of anxiety or paranoia or even sexual tension. "Get on Your Boots" is a song about letting loose and letting go.

And moving toward a brighter future. Bono's musings here do not read well on the page (peruse them here, if you must), with Bono cutting up phrases he's used before and free-associating like he's had a couple of pink cocktails. But the underlying message is relevant.

So what is sexy about donning boots, in a song whose cheerful tone and other lyrics about forming community and growing up hardly suggest a pair of stilettos? To turn a phrase that once belonged to the increasingly irrelevant Paris Hilton, it's hot right now to ponder cleaning up a mess. And that's what "Get on Your Boots" means to inspire us to do. This is U2's celebratory announcement of a new historical moment, one in which America and the world confront the catastrophes of the recent past and bust out some elbow grease to make things better.

It's not quite time for a new anthem, this song seems to say, though titles from "No Line on the Horizon," like "Cedars of Lebanon" and "White as Snow," suggest those are coming. It's time to get to work. In its playful way, "Get on Your Boots" is a work song, a little jolt for those ready to rise up together toward change. Let me in the sound, indeed.

-- Ann Powers

Photo of Bono and the Edge at the Lincoln Memorial by Charles Dharapak / Associated Press

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/01/snap-judgment-u.html

Geoff

I just listened to it through my Bose noise cancelling headphones. It sounded like crap out of my tiny notebook computer speakers. When the album comes out, I'll borrow a CD and rip it onto my iPod.

I doubt I'll ever go to a U2 concert. The only one I went to was in 2001 at the Fleet Center with the heart-shaped stage. Getting preached at by Bono rubs me the wrong way.

frozencorn

I just listened to it through my Bose noise cancelling headphones. It sounded like crap out of my tiny notebook computer speakers. When the album comes out, I'll borrow a CD and rip it onto my iPod.

I doubt I'll ever go to a U2 concert. The only one I went to was in 2001 at the Fleet Center with the heart-shaped stage. Getting preached at by Bono rubs me the wrong way.

"Don't mean to bug ya..."

wa-loaf

Weak. Lyrics kinda sound like that Billy Joel song. We didn't star the fire, at least the listing of stuff part.

There was a time (80's) where I would have killed someone to get to a U2 concert. Now? Meh.

frozencorn

Weak. Lyrics kinda sound like that Billy Joel song. We didn't star the fire, at least the listing of stuff part.

There was a time (80's) where I would have killed someone to get to a U2 concert. Now? Meh.

I thought of the exact same thing on the way home when I heard it again. Couldn't figure out what it was, and finally We Didn't Start the Fire popped in my head. Weak. Sauce.

ComeBackMudPuddles

I thought of the exact same thing on the way home when I heard it again. Couldn't figure out what it was, and finally We Didn't Start the Fire popped in my head. Weak. Sauce.

I wish I were a mod. Y'all would be so banned!!