• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

One of the best Spring skiing weeks ever!?!?

drjeff

So I was lucky enough a few months ago to block myself out of work for this week... Due to a multitude of factors, my plans to travel with various members of my family to places on multiple continents and of warm and snowy locations fell through, so my wife and I took a semi "stay cation" to our VT condo.

Been skiing since 1979... Can't remember a stretch of great New England Spring skiing that I have experienced over the last 6 days, with atleast 3-4 more on the way! Skied thus far, 3 days at Mount Snow, 2 at Okemo and 1 at Stowe (thank you Epic Pass and Marriot/Bonvoy points for the Fairfield Inn in Waterbury!) Have only seen cloudy sky's at Stowe, haven't waited more than 10 chairs (mostly less than 2), got over 140k vertical feet and counting, already gone through a full tube of chapstick and 1/2 a tube of SPF 50 sunscreen!

Spring skiing is awesome!

chuckstah

I'm in the middle of a 6 out of 8 day run. It has been great, and very happy with the timing of this. Cannon tomorrow after an off day today for real life stuff. There have been great runs of weather before, but this is up there. Not even a sprinkle yet. Tough task in April.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Jealous of you guys! Alta/Snowbird has been essentially closed for 2 weeks now. First too much snow and now a rapid warm up. Huge avalanches. Still no word on when the road will open again.

*resorts have been very limited open where they can based on avi danger, but the road is closed. It was open very limited last weekend and wasn't worth the risk of getting trapped up there (as my co-workers did) til 8pm or so.

jimk

Jealous of you guys! Alta/Snowbird has been essentially closed for 2 weeks now. First too much snow and now a rapid warm up. Huge avalanches. Still no word on when the road will open again.

*resorts have been very limited open where they can based on avi danger, but the road is closed. It was open very limited last weekend and wasn't worth the risk of getting trapped up there (as my co-workers did) til 8pm or so.
Yep. Unprecedented level of adverse disruption in my seven years of coming out here frequently. FYI, BCC access road was returned to normal/full opening about 3 PM yesterday (4/12). Hopefully, LCC follows suit soon.

Kingslug20

First time I've ever wanted to leave Utah and get back to eastern spring skiing ..

crank

Leaning toward skiing Killington Saturday.

Mainer

No spring skiing this midweek in the mwv. Did get a nice day a up tuckerman. Wildcat looks like they could still be 100% open from across the road. I’d probably skip out of working today if they were open, No wind, no clouds, hitting 80 today in the valley.

LoafSkier19

Skiing Sugarloaf today through the weekend. It’s definitely up there in terms of weather and conditions this week. April ‘07 (Patriots Day Blizzard week) and April Vacation week in ‘08 come to mind for me up this way.

Edd

No spring skiing this midweek in the mwv. Did get a nice day a up tuckerman. Wildcat looks like they could still be 100% open from across the road. I’d probably skip out of working today if they were open, No wind, no clouds, hitting 80 today in the valley.
High of 59 in Quebec City, where I’m at. Can’t believe I’m driving into mid-80s temps on the NH coast today. I don’t want to go home 🙁.

shawnanigans

Cannon was off the hook on Tuesday. Pretty much everything open. In the afternoon we were hiking the saddle for mitt laps and skiing cornaroy till the end of the day. Opening turns on rocket were surreal. This season ended so pleasently.

I was at Cannon yesterday (4/12) and conditions were still spectacular. As mentioned above, hiking the Saddle is definitely worth the effort. Woods and glades also were in great shape once they softened up later in the day. Go get it before they close on Sunday.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
First time I've ever wanted to leave Utah and get back to eastern spring skiing ..

We didn't have spring. We went from cold/powder the entire season to May skiing. The temperature chart for SLC is fascinating. Literally went from 10-15 degrees below normal to 10-15 degrees above normal instantly. The blue lines are the recorded high/low temperatures for that day. Green shading is the normal temperature range.

KSLC202303plot-2.png
KSLC202304plot-2.png

Hawk

It is truely great weather. I can't say it is the best ever. Maybe one of the best. Between my years at Sunday River and Sugarbush, I have skied a stretch like this more that a few times and each time I said it is the best ever. I think we just forget. LOL

2Planker

So I was lucky enough a few months ago to block myself out of work for this week... Due to a multitude of factors, my plans to travel with various members of my family to places on multiple continents and of warm and snowy locations fell through, so my wife and I took a semi "stay cation" to our VT condo.

Been skiing since 1979... Can't remember a stretch of great New England Spring skiing that I have experienced over the last 6 days, with atleast 3-4 more on the way! Skied thus far, 3 days at Mount Snow, 2 at Okemo and 1 at Stowe (thank you Epic Pass and Marriot/Bonvoy points for the Fairfield Inn in Waterbury!) Have only seen cloudy sky's at Stowe, haven't waited more than 10 chairs (mostly less than 2), got over 140k vertical feet and counting, already gone through a full tube of chapstick and 1/2 a tube of SPF 50 sunscreen!

Spring skiing is awesome!
Glad you got to enjoy it.

I too blocked this week out of the schedule months ago, BUT Vail screwed us NH skiers by closing AT completely and The Cat Mon-Thurs.
I've skied/patrolled in April for 40+ years.... BUT Vail keeps trying to ruin Spring skiing in NH

Edd

I too blocked this week out of the schedule months ago, BUT Vail screwed us NH skiers by closing AT completely and The Cat Mon-Thurs.
I've skied/patrolled in April for 40+ years.... BUT Vail keeps trying to ruin Spring skiing in NH
Served up a great spring season at Wildcat and Vail threw it away.

KustyTheKlown

i was worried about melt-out this week, and today and tomorrow are still quite sunny and warm, but this thread has me stoked for a very awesome spring skiing weekend. shades, backwards baseball caps, t-shirts/hoodies. love it.

jaytrem

Did you do the 4 night get 5th free with Marriot points? Always nice when that works out.

snoseek

All they had to do was keep the cat open a couple more weeks and I would have been fine with the season up there. I can overlook the little stuff but to me this is a big one therefore I'm out on next year's pass and pretty bummed about that overall.

Meanwhile all 3 vt properties are open all week. Seriously fuck them.

machski

Tuesday was great at SR, on only 3 lifts still a ton of terrain offered. Like that late season setup. Almost everything still in play from woods to groomers to natty. Unfortunately Wednesday old man wind came and knocked out the 3 chairs (well, 2 with Jordan suffering its first multiday mechanical issue). At least the racing T-Bar still had plenty of snow to spin.