• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Year's Eve & Day - Crowds

Jcb890

I can't remember the last time I went out riding on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day...

How are the crowds usually on those days? NYE falls on a Saturday this year while New Year's Day is on Sunday and most people have work off on Monday for the observed NYD.

It is still a little too far out to plan on it I suppose, but it seems like a weekend in the 20's or low 30's for most of NH and VT with some snow coming on Monday (3-5" or 5-8") showing so far. It is looking like Thursday evening we could see a good sized snowfall in most ski/snowboard areas also with predictions ranging between 3-5" for MA and 8-12"+ for some of NH/VT.

bdfreetuna

Don't really know about the crowds but I booked a room in Barre. Bolton for Sunday(New Years) and Sugarbush for Monday is the plan. I think a lot of people party on NYE and don't make it to the hill very early. Monday I don't think could be very bad.

Jully

New years day is usually empty and I suspect it will be a similar case this year as well. Saturday will likely be jammed, especially with Thursday's snowfall making everyone think of skiing. Good for the mountains, bad for us.

I suspect that Monday the 2nd will be empty as well. Everyone will be burned out after skiing the week previously. Kind of like how the Sunday after thanksgiving isn't that crowded either.

cdskier

I'm having a tough time trying to figure out the crowds. I've been watching the Sugarbush web cams the past few days and the mountain keeps being empty looking. I get people are busy on Christmas Eve and Christmas, and I suppose yesterday could have been a travel day for people. Then maybe today the weather last night is keeping people away. I'm inclined to think things will get busier as the week goes on and the New Years weekend will be the peak of the crowds, but New Year's Day itself could be empty at least early in the morning if people were up late NYE and can't drag their asses out of bed in the morning. Then again with fresh snow predicted coming in before the weekend it could be crowded the entire time. So hard to even use historical experience to try to predict this as there are so many variables that come into play on any given day.

Jcb890

New years day is usually empty and I suspect it will be a similar case this year as well. Saturday will likely be jammed, especially with Thursday's snowfall making everyone think of skiing. Good for the mountains, bad for us.

I suspect that Monday the 2nd will be empty as well. Everyone will be burned out after skiing the week previously. Kind of like how the Sunday after thanksgiving isn't that crowded either.

That's kind of what I figured also. It sounds like Friday could be pretty awesome, but I think I'll be working for that.

We have been unable to find dog-sitters, so we might do a day-trip on Sunday and Monday to get some good snow and try to avoid the crowds.

drjeff

My historical experience, skiing what is a busy mountain, Mount Snow, is that New Years Eve isn't as crazy as many think, because so many of the few time a year ski week folks, are toast after a few days of skiing, and want to get back home to go to their New Years Eve parties. New Years Day is usually quiet, and this year, with the 2nd in play for many, I wouldn't expect much.

My hunch is that today through Friday is when the crowds will be their worst, with the variable of how Thursday into Friday's storm playing into the day trip mix a factor.

bdfreetuna

Friday will be awesome but the mountains should be getting some upslope refresh snow to keep it awesome for the whole weekend (and beyond..)

dlague

We have been skiing on both Christmas and New Years Day for the past 5 years and both have been slow days at resorts. I think mostly locals ski since anyone traveling to the mountains are typically doing New Years Eve events closer to their homes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Friday will be awesome but the mountains should be getting some upslope refresh snow to keep it awesome for the whole weekend (and beyond..)

watch for wind hold issues on Friday, as this system is going to likely explode as it passes Cape Cod and really get the winds cranking as it pulls away

4aprice

I hope that's right that the majority of people will be heading south for NYE. When I saw them sticking with the storm forecast today, I booked the weekend up north. Saturday could be one of those days were its busy early then dies off kind of like when Pats are in a playoff game or the Super Bowl and the mountain empties early. I wouldn't know about those things because I'm a Jet fan, but I had some pretty good ski afternoons because of the Pats.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jcb890

I hope that's right that the majority of people will be heading south for NYE. When I saw them sticking with the storm forecast today, I booked the weekend up north. Saturday could be one of those days were its busy early then dies off kind of like when Pats are in a playoff game or the Super Bowl and the mountain empties early. I wouldn't know about those things because I'm a Jet fan, but I had some pretty good ski afternoons because of the Pats.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
:lol::lol: I hate to laugh at one fan's misfortune, but that was too great of a comment not to!

Tin

Fri to Sunday look like some of the best skiing of the year but the winds Friday-Sunday are a serious concern. We are talking sustained summit winds of 45-60 mph and higher into mid day Sunday. Southern VT, NH, Berks, lower elevations might be the only places spinning lifts Fri-Sat.

The clip Saturday night should add a few inches.

Friday just above most elevations...
850wh.us_ne.png

Sunday 30+ at the bases...
925wh.us_ne.png

Jully

Yeah I'm worried about the wind for Friday as well. Planning on being somewhere in northern NH and would rather it not be Bretton Woods to get away from wind holds.

dlague

Yeah I'm worried about the wind for Friday as well. Planning on being somewhere in northern NH and would rather it not be Bretton Woods to get away from wind holds.
Better than nothing? Black Mountain is good on windy days as well. Not sure that really helps with options. Wonder if Jay Peak will be far enough away?

Jcb890

Better than nothing? Black Mountain is good on windy days as well. Not sure that really helps with options. Wonder if Jay Peak will be far enough away?

Jay is showing high winds Today, Thursday and Friday. No Tram or Flyer today and I would bet heavily there will be no Tram Thursday or Friday either, probably no Flyer either. The Bonaventure Quad opened with a delayed start today though.

I'd guess Thursday and Friday will be the same.

snoseek

Black Mountain of NH or Maine would both be good choices. I'll clean up the leftovers after everyone leaves. Maybe an afterwork Thursday night pow session

Edit-that's assuming this even comes together