• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Mets

dmc

Don't do it...remember your rule about Yankee fans not messing with you.

Yup... I'm down with this close race to the end... Big leads bore me...

But we have issues in my house now.. My girl is related to Cole Hammels of the Phillys - so it's going to get ugly since she and her family have become Philly fans all of the sudden.. Except her dad.. He's still a Brooklyn Dodgers/Mets fan..

But it's cooll I've met Cole and he knows I'm Met fan and that i want him to leave Philly and move to Queens to start for the Mets..

Me and Cole.
dmccole.JPG

Dr Skimeister

Pesky Phils alot more pesky today, eh?

Oh yea....

Phils went from pesky to the equivalent of a crotch rot that won't go away. Lots of bad decisions by Willie through out this series, the worst being asking Wagner to get the 6 outs yesterday after coming off of a few days off because of a "dead arm".

I also agree that this has been a disaster season for Carlos Delgado. I wouldn't say the same about Beltran, though. I've never thought he was worth the mega-bucks he got from the Mets, but he's proven to me to be a solid hitter and perhaps the most underappreciated center fielder in baseball. Yes, he could benefit from some attitude adjustment/maturity, but I don't see that influencing his play.

I am admittedly worried about this weekend in Atlanta. The Braves have had the Mets' number again this season as they have for 11 of the last 12 years. Tonight may be a make-or-break game for their season, and Maines vs Hudson should provide for some good baseball.

dmc

Lots of bad decisions by Willie through out this series, the worst being asking Wagner to get the 6 outs yesterday after coming off of a few days off because of a "dead arm".

The 9th inning was a disastor yesterday..

JimG.

Staff member
Oh yea....

Phils went from pesky to the equivalent of a crotch rot that won't go away. Lots of bad decisions by Willie through out this series, the worst being asking Wagner to get the 6 outs yesterday after coming off of a few days off because of a "dead arm".

I also agree that this has been a disaster season for Carlos Delgado. I wouldn't say the same about Beltran, though. I've never thought he was worth the mega-bucks he got from the Mets, but he's proven to me to be a solid hitter and perhaps the most underappreciated center fielder in baseball. Yes, he could benefit from some attitude adjustment/maturity, but I don't see that influencing his play.

I am admittedly worried about this weekend in Atlanta. The Braves have had the Mets' number again this season as they have for 11 of the last 12 years. Tonight may be a make-or-break game for their season, and Maines vs Hudson should provide for some good baseball.

You're correct in saying that Beltran's season has been much, much better than Delgado's. He does lead the team in HR's and RBI.

But he goes through these periods when his bat is absent from the lineup or he has these nagging injuries that he uses as excuses. Maybe I'm expecting him to be a lead by example guy and he just isn't into that. Piazza was that way too...quiet and not into being a team leader.

The Mets need one player to stand up, trash the clubhouse, and say he's mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.

Dr Skimeister

Mets sweep Braves, feel better now

Any predictions on how Pedro will do?

It shouldn't matter what Pedro does. It's all cake. Mets got to where they presently are without him. Didn't even have to clear a roster spot for him at this point. If he's even a hint of what he has been in the past, it's good. The worst thing that can happen is that he gets shelled, it over-taxes the bullpen for a game or two.

FRITOLAYGUY

Petey looked ok out there, velocity will get better and so will control as he will get about 4-5 more starts in before the playoffs... congrats on the 3000K's thats alottttt.

Dr Skimeister

OK....got tickets for the SECOND round of the playoffs (League Championship Series). The way our Metsies are playing I don't think I'm too optimistic. As long as Reyes stays on his game and stops hitting for the fences and David Wright keeps his MVP-worthy season going, the Mets will continue to score enough runs to make the middle relief woes a non-issue.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
It shouldn't matter what Pedro does. It's all cake. Mets got to where they presently are without him. Didn't even have to clear a roster spot for him at this point. If he's even a hint of what he has been in the past, it's good. The worst thing that can happen is that he gets shelled, it over-taxes the bullpen for a game or two.

Your alot more confindent about their starting rotation than I am....all the starters have been very inconsistant all season. You can't depend on the offense every game. Look at their era's...not that great.
Pedro so far is looking good. They do need him IMHO Not complaining tho...I remember when they couldn't win a game. :D

Dr Skimeister

Magic number a *mere* 11 now. Good win last night despite the middle relief's effort to raise my blood pressure. Willie's one batter shuffle with the bullpen might mean he's concerned about some of these shlubs too. Time to start tayloring Pelfrey for set-up man and let have Sosa, Mota and Schoenweiss make other plans for after October 1.

JimG.

Staff member
Last year the Mets and Yanks ended with identical records, 97-65.

As of today, they have identical records this season.

dmc

I love a confident Bosox fan...more of an emotional high to fall from when they lose.

Hey now.... this is a Mets thread... take your rivalry to the other thread boys...

Now if your a Braves or Philies fan feel free to mix it up... :)

JimG.

Staff member
Hey now.... this is a Mets thread... take your rivalry to the other thread boys...

Now if your a Braves or Philies fan feel free to mix it up... :)

Just trying to get you in here to stir up some juice.

Metsies can make Philly pay big time for the 4 game sweep this weekend and finish the division off too.

Dr Skimeister

Just trying to get you in here to stir up some juice.

Metsies can make Philly pay big time for the 4 game sweep this weekend and finish the division off too.

Magic number is now....10? Even if we sweep the Feelies, probably wouldn't clinch the division until either the Nats in the early part of the week or the fish next weekend.

JimG.

Staff member
Magic number is now....10? Even if we sweep the Feelies, probably wouldn't clinch the division until either the Nats in the early part of the week or the fish next weekend.

Should have added "for all intents and purposes".

It's over now.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
We don't get many Mets games up here so I was thrilled to get today's game and see for myself Pedro pitching. Hey Dr Ski....still feel that "It shouldn't matter what Pedro does. It's all cake" :wink:

I think Pedro's situation MIGHT work great for him and the Mets, especially for next year. He pitches great in the playoffs and beyond. After the short season he gets to rest and further strengthen his body until next year.
I know, alot of what if's but I couldnt believe how well he pitched.

Reyes kind of blew the game but hope he learns. I think he disrespected the Phils by trying to steal 3rd which pissed them off and provided the motivation to turn the game completely around. Just my take.

Last edited: