• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Mets

JimG.

Staff member
That was a really bad loss.

Milledge lost his cool and acted like an idiot. Embarrassing.

And how could Willie not know that his closer was getting a massage and not have him ready to close when they took the lead? Rumors are floating that he gave up on the game and the team when they lost the lead.

Not true I'm sure, but these paper cuts are what kills teams this time of year, especially in NY.

Dr Skimeister

I agree Jim, a terrible loss that may turn out to be a backbreaker for this team.

Millage's behavior since he's been with the Mets has been the definition of immaturity. I had thought that Julio Franco had started him on the straight and narrow after Millage did the infamous "high fives" last season after doing nothing more than driving in the tying run in a game against the Giants that the Mets eventually lost. It's more than coincidence that Millage got plunked by Phillies' pitchers in two consecutive games last weekend. He's a loose cannon that probably confirmed his off-season departure from the Mets last night.

I can't do anything but shake my head about Wagner's absence last night. The fact he was not available when he had been dressed and ready prior to the game is inexcusable. If there is even a hint of fact to the massage story that then subjected us to having to watch Sosa pitch, he needs to be severely reprimanded and fined.

It's almost to the point that this ship has too many leaks to stay afloat. A team with this attitude going into the playoffs-if in fact that even happens at this point-is likely to make a quick exit.

JimG.

Staff member
I agree Jim, a terrible loss that may turn out to be a backbreaker for this team.

Millage's behavior since he's been with the Mets has been the definition of immaturity. I had thought that Julio Franco had started him on the straight and narrow after Millage did the infamous "high fives" last season after doing nothing more than driving in the tying run in a game against the Giants that the Mets eventually lost. It's more than coincidence that Millage got plunked by Phillies' pitchers in two consecutive games last weekend. He's a loose cannon that probably confirmed his off-season departure from the Mets last night.

I can't do anything but shake my head about Wagner's absence last night. The fact he was not available when he had been dressed and ready prior to the game is inexcusable. If there is even a hint of fact to the massage story that then subjected us to having to watch Sosa pitch, he needs to be severely reprimanded and fined.

It's almost to the point that this ship has too many leaks to stay afloat. A team with this attitude going into the playoffs-if in fact that even happens at this point-is likely to make a quick exit.

Rumors are just that...rumors.

But the NY press shows its' shark teeth in situations like this.

I wouldn't give up on the Mets...the Tigers lost thier last 5 games last season, then made it to the World Series. And the Cardinals who swept the Tigers were barely a .500 team.

Willie has to show me something now though...this laid back, them's the breaks in baseball act has to morph into a more demanding tone. They need to win now.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Yes, a horrible loss. I don't blame Wagner, I blame Willie and Rick...for not having their players ready to go, (unless of course he did really get a spasm and was unable to pitch). Either way, the good teams know how to win down the stretch. Let's just hope the Mets can do well in these last 10 games.

I must say, the Yankees always seem to come up big down the stretch or in the big games...more so than the Mets.. It's disheartening sometimes to be a Met fan in this great City of ours.

JimG.

Staff member
I must say, the Yankees always seem to come up big down the stretch or in the big games...more so than the Mets.. It's disheartening sometimes to be a Met fan in this great City of ours.

In their last World Series winning season in 2000 the Yanks lost something like their last 8 games and didn't even win 90 games.

But they regrouped and won the series.

Always is a very big word. Mets can still do this and they still control their destiny.

marcski

In their last World Series winning season in 2000 the Yanks lost something like their last 8 games and didn't even win 90 games.

But they regrouped and won the series.

Always is a very big word. Mets can still do this and they still control their destiny.

Agreed. But I said, "the Yankees always seem to come up big down the stretch or in the big games". Like you said, Jim, the yankees won the big games that year in the playoffs. Let's just hope the mets can do the same.

Dr Skimeister

Agreed. But I said, "the Yankees always seem to come up big down the stretch or in the big games". Like you said, Jim, the yankees won the big games that year in the playoffs. Let's just hope the mets can do the same.

I'm hoping that the Mets play well enough to get to the post-season, and that they're getting the "funk" out of them not so that when the playoffs start they can get back to playing and winning like they're capable of doing.

dmc

Good game last night.. Pedro got a bunch of Ks..
Worried about Beltan. Hope Moses can keep the hitting streak up...

marcski

Man, I was sweating when I saw another 3 run late inning lead get pissed away.....Moises comes through again and then they lose the lead....the bullpen is making me very nervous....thank goodness they were able to pull it out in the end. They certainly are making it exciting these days. The number is down to 5 now, I think....

Dr Skimeister

It seem like everyday some other part of this team is a mess. Lucky for the Mets that the Phillies are as much of a mess. My wife and I sat at dinner last night and figured that the Mets could possibly lose the remaining games of the regular season and still wind up winning the division. If Atlanta sweeps the Phils, and then the Nats beat up on the Phils over the weekend, and Houston sweeps the Braves over the weekend, the Mets would still back in to the playoffs.

Regardless, if this team doesn't regain the consistency they had for most of the season until the last 10 days or so, the playoffs will be over quickly for them.

Dr Skimeister

Well, crunch time.
Our Mets average at least 5 runs per game in the last 10 games, then can't even scratch out one measly run to support a decent pitching performance by Pedro. Even with the Phils in the standings. Phillies with forward momentum, Mets sliding backwards on their butts like a grandma newbie that just lost hold of the rope tow on the bunny slope.
What surprises me is the apparent lack of spark in this team. Yes, maybe they are so tired and weary that they just don't have it left in them. We're quickly becoming the laughing-stock of MLB.

JimG.

Staff member
Hard to watch last night.

They look beaten in the dugout.

Actually, they look like the Yankees did early this season.

I hope they turn it around.