• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

No heat yet

Trekchick

We waited to turn ours on until our house temp dropped below 60. That was about a month ago. We've had a week long warm spell when we shut it back off and opened the windows again, but with snow and rain mix, cold temps, we've got it back on. Brrrrrr, winter is coming :)

roark

58 that is a bit exteme i could set it to 65 but at night (10) it goes to 50 because i like it cold when i am sleeping.

We've got a pretty new house - very tight. I like it cool at night as well. When heated to 70 in the evenings I need to open a window to sleep!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yes my house is also very tight.......

Oh wait, I don't have any insulation anywhere. Never mind.

No double pane windows either, but some of my single pane windows don't rattle in a slight breeze.
My heat has been set at about 63 in the bedroom end of the house, 50 in the kitchen end where the wood stove is. Got that cranked right now, and the kitchen is a toasty 74. Even though it's pretty far from my bedroom, it keeps the heat from coming on as much and I like sleep in the cold, so it's all good.

I love burning wood. Nothing makes you feel quite as manly has falling, bucking and splitting a big old dead standing elm, oak or ash tree.

I love burning wood. Nothing makes you feel quite as manly has falling, bucking and splitting a big old dead standing elm, oak or ash tree.

Almost as manly as installing a giant tombstone on a steep hill with no crane and just a buggy..barefoot..in the rain..at the base of an erupting volcano..while reading Maxim magazine and drinking a beer straight from the keg..

Grassi21

Its an addiction. We just had our fireplace insert installed. 2.5 cords stacked for this season (cutting it close). A friend and I are about to take possession of 25 cords of log lengths. Over the next couple of months we should be able to process enough wood for both of our houses for the next 3 seasons. Free fuel! :flame: Looking into a chainsaw so I can process some wood on my property...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Its an addiction. We just had our fireplace insert installed. 2.5 cords stacked for this season (cutting it close). A friend and I are about to take possession of 25 cords of log lengths. Over the next couple of months we should be able to process enough wood for both of our houses for the next 3 seasons. Free fuel! :flame: Looking into a chainsaw so I can process some wood on my property...

Stihl MS361.

Husqvarna 372xp.

Stihl MS460.

That pretty much sums up my advice about that.

Grassi21

Stihl MS361.

Husqvarna 372xp.

Stihl MS460.

That pretty much sums up my advice about that.

I have a Stihl back pack blower that I love. I was eyeballing a few of the Stihls at the local hardware store a couple days ago. drool....

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'd highly recommend an MS361 with an 18" b/c or 20 if you're getting big diameter log load stuff. The "pro grade" saws are worth the money. They'll last a loong time.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Will do. I have also been hitting the boards at Heath.com lately.

Do you wear leather chaps? :lol: Seriously...

I have kevlar full wrap chaps. I also wear foam ear plugs and safety glasses. Hard hat when falling. I will openly acknowledge those helmet "systems" with the mesh face screen are probably safer, but I feel like I retain better vision and balance with the ear plugs and glasses. plus I usually get to hot limbing and bucking to wear a hard hat so it's nice to keep the ear/eye protection while losing the hard hat.

Also, never do any sawing without steel toes... w/ steel shank even better.

Grassi21

I have kevlar full wrap chaps. I also wear foam ear plugs and safety glasses. Hard hat when falling. I will openly acknowledge those helmet "systems" with the mesh face screen are probably safer, but I feel like I retain better vision and balance with the ear plugs and glasses. plus I usually get to hot limbing and bucking to wear a hard hat so it's nice to keep the ear/eye protection while losing the hard hat.

Also, never do any sawing without steel toes... w/ steel shank even better.

Not doing any falling for a while. Although cutting down those log lengths (that's bucking right?) will be a process I am new too. Good thing is my buddy owns the saw and has a good amount of time operating it.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Not doing any falling for a while. Although cutting down those log lengths (that's bucking right?) will be a process I am new too. Good thing is my buddy owns the saw and has a good amount of time operating it.

Yup. Bucking generally refers to cutting the main leader(s) or limbs into segments. Limbing refers to cutting the limbs off the main leader(s). Be wary of experienced operators if you see they have dangerous habits/practices. Just because someone's been cutting for a while doesn't necessarily mean they know what they're doing.

campgottagopee

Whatever, I think it sucks!!!!! Didn't even know what my name was until I was 16 because all i was ever called at home was, "get wood". I grew up spending my summers cutting, splitting and hauling wood. Even managed to lop off my thumb on my left hand. When we built our house my wife wanted a "real" fireplace. HAHAHAH---can you say gas!!!!!

No more wood here buckoo

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Whatever, I think it sucks!!!!! Didn't even know what my name was until I was 16 because all i was ever called at home was, "get wood". I grew up spending my summers cutting, splitting and hauling wood. Even managed to lop off my thumb on my left hand. When we built our house my wife wanted a "real" fireplace. HAHAHAH---can you say gas!!!!!

No more wood here buckoo

WTF... you cut wood in the summers? Why on God's green Earth would you do that?

I spent most of my childhood winters cutting, splitting and hauling firewood. I had a positive experience though and still have all my appendages. Must be why Ilike it now. Also, no money out of pocket for the heat is nice... besides the processing time and saw expenses. Cheap though.. I consider it more a hobby.

Cutting firewood in the summer though... bad idea all around. I only did some this summer because I needed to scrounge, being the first year in my house with a wood burning appliance. Other than that I can come up with no good reason to cut firewood in the summer unless you absolutely have to.

I never cut firewood and don't plan on it..when I was growing up my parents used those synthetic logs in the fireplace..I'm a city slicker..

campgottagopee

WTF... you cut wood in the summers? Why on God's green Earth would you do that?

I spent most of my childhood winters cutting, splitting and hauling firewood. I had a positive experience though and still have all my appendages. Must be why Ilike it now. Also, no money out of pocket for the heat is nice... besides the processing time and saw expenses. Cheap though.. I consider it more a hobby.

Cutting firewood in the summer though... bad idea all around. I only did some this summer because I needed to scrounge, being the first year in my house with a wood burning appliance. Other than that I can come up with no good reason to cut firewood in the summer unless you absolutely have to.

Main reason was my Father was a teacher so that's when HE had time-----I was more kidding than anything----all except my name:grin: oh and taken that thumb off

Glad you dig it though. Now if I'm in the woods it's with my dog and my gun which for me is a much more enjoyable time.