• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

No snow making at Vail Resort ski resorts

kendo

Agree 1000%. I sent an email to their corporate in box saying the same and also noted the same on a Vail thanks for skiing/take our survey email. Of course no response and no snowmaking icon.

snoseek

I will say that cannon mtn is super underrated in the snowmaking.

hovercraft

No idea what your talking about. Rode Stowe 9 out of the last 11 days, they have been blowing snow for that whole time except for a day when the temps went above freezing. Bumps on the front four, chin clip hayride upper smuggs As a season pass holder at Stowe I think they have done an excellent job in making snow this year.

Last edited:

Quietman

Crotched Whales

From tonight, whales on Meteor. Not thin and tall like the ones at Cannon, they were broad and wide.

whales.jpg

Smellytele

Broad and wide can grow into thin and tall. Also does the crotch have fan guns that rotate? Cannon’s are stationary.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thebigo

Broad and wide can grow into thin and tall. Also does the crotch have fan guns that rotate? Cannon’s are stationary.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Crotch guns rotate manually, not automatically. Does anyone have automatically rotating guns?

Crotched has made snow literally every opportunity that weather has allowed this year. I am concerned that vail may stumble with the same learning curve as powdr - reduced snowmaking, shortened seasons. Wish I could get some semblance of their operating plan next year at the nh mtns before committing. Problem is that every alternative involves a significant sacrifice. Short of alterra acquiring a couple mountains in nh there is no real alternative for a family that skis 80 - 90 days and needs seasonal programs in central nh.

drjeff

Crotch guns rotate manually, not automatically. Does anyone have automatically rotating guns?

Crotched has made snow literally every opportunity that weather has allowed this year. I am concerned that vail may stumble with the same learning curve as powdr - reduced snowmaking, shortened seasons. Wish I could get some semblance of their operating plan next year at the nh mtns before committing. Problem is that every alternative involves a significant sacrifice. Short of alterra acquiring a couple mountains in nh there is no real alternative for a family that skis 80 - 90 days and needs seasonal programs in central nh.
A good chunk of Mount Snow's tower mounted SMI Superpolecat fanguns do have the ability to automatically oscillate when the crew chooses to. Typically they do that when resurfacing in conditions with light to minimal wind

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

A good chunk of Mount Snow's tower mounted SMI Superpolecat fanguns do have the ability to automatically oscillate when the crew chooses to. Typically they do that when resurfacing in conditions with light to minimal wind

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

didn't know oscillating fan guns existed, crotch has to spend a fortune in diesel every year pushing out whales.

drjeff

didn't know oscillating fan guns existed, crotch has to spend a fortune in diesel every year pushing out whales.

Yup. Not sure of the exact degrees of oscillation (I'd guess somewhere around 60 degrees based on what I have seen personally) but when they're set in that mode, they make a slow oscillation to the right and left of the "center" position over the course of maybe a minute or so, to help increase the area where the snow being made lands.

Like I said, the main times that I have seen Mount Snow doing this is when they're resurfacing and the wind speed is low. I would imagine if the wind speed is too high, when the fangun oscillates towards the direction the wind is coming from, that the risk of freezing up the gun, even with the heating systems on the nozzles/nozzle bank rings to prevent freeze up could be overwhelmed

jimmywilson69

They've been making plenty of snow down here in PA for the formerly Peak owned now Vail owned resorts. This winter has been so up and down here, even more so than the northern places that it is survival mode. Last week was the first time I felt that they were finally "weather proof"

Also we have oscillating fans as well. The Techon Alpines, Aereco, and Pole Cats all have this feature. They also seem to use it when the wind is low.

slatham

Yup. Not sure of the exact degrees of oscillation (I'd guess somewhere around 60 degrees based on what I have seen personally) but when they're set in that mode, they make a slow oscillation to the right and left of the "center" position over the course of maybe a minute or so, to help increase the area where the snow being made lands.

Like I said, the main times that I have seen Mount Snow doing this is when they're resurfacing and the wind speed is low. I would imagine if the wind speed is too high, when the fangun oscillates towards the direction the wind is coming from, that the risk of freezing up the gun, even with the heating systems on the nozzles/nozzle bank rings to prevent freeze up could be overwhelmed

70 degree arc per their web site. The ultimate resurfacing machine. I do wonder how often they are able to make use of the auto oscillation feature. Even with wind they should be able oscillate to some degree one would think but I am not a snowmaker.......

Newpylong

Not only can Cannon stretch their air out now with the HKDs but the guesswork is gone on snow quality. They always had "slick" conditions, not atypical when you're only use Ratniks or any High E - they tend to make a wet product if not adjusted correctly and continuously. That is all they used to use.

granite

What a difference a week makes, Stowe was fantastic Saturday 02-01-20. Upper Lift Line photos, now that's what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 87