• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Not For Nothing

Scruffy

Do you say it?

I can never figure out WTF people who use that term mean, even after reading the definitions.

From Urban Dic:

1) As a native New Yorker, it pains me to see that none of the other definitions seems to actually grasp what not for nothing means.

"Not for nothing" is used to soften the blow of something that would normally be offensive or come on too strong.

For example, if your friend showed up wearing purple and yellow striped pants to a party and asked you how he looked, you could respond, "well, not for nothing, Jimmy, but you look like a gay, retarded zebra." Or if you want to try out for a musical but you can't sing to save your life, your friend might tell you, "hey, not for nothing, but you suck at singing and you're not gonna get that part." Things of that nature.

Not for nothing, but the other guys who defined "not for nothing" are a bunch of schmucks.

Why, I ask, does "Not For Nothing" mean "Don't take this the wrong way pal, but"?

2)
not for nothing
336 up, 238 down
Phrase meaning "what I'm about to say is important." That is "I'm not saying this for my health"....

Generally said as "Not f'nuthin', but...."

How do you get "I'm not say this for my health" out of "Not for Nothing"? NFN sounds like I'm gona charge for this advice.

3) Used as an introductory phrase to indicate that the principle phrase which follows is intended neither to be commanding nor officious, but simply as friendly advice or constructive observation.

Not for Nothing, but NFN sucks :lol:

ctenidae

I wonder if it was originally "naught for nothing" which would imply "what I'm about to say is entirely worthless, and you should expend exactly that much time and effort considering it," as in, "I'm giving you nothing, for nothing."

hippiechick

It is what it is.

Phrases like this, and "not for nothing", for some reason, irritate the living crap out of me. It seems to be a trend now - cliche cliches. (?)

It's almost like a copout for people who either 1. Don't know what the hell they're talking about or 2. Are too ignorant or lazy to explain themselves.

Rant off.

Edd

My GF says "not for nothing" which always threw me off when I first met her. She claims it means "goes without saying".

octopus

Phrases like this, and "not for nothing", for some reason, irritate the living crap out of me. It seems to be a trend now - cliche cliches. (?)

It's almost like a copout for people who either 1. Don't know what the hell they're talking about or 2. Are too ignorant or lazy to explain themselves.

Rant off.
i hear you. this phrase "it is what it is" pisses me off

ctenidae

wtf are you talking about?

There was an ad a long time ago for Spanish language tapes, the punchline of which was "If you can spell what's on your feet, you can speak Spanish" S-O-C-K-S, Eso si que es, means "that's what it is" or "it is what it is"

It's also one of only two Spanish language jokes I know.