• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NVTBC skunkage....

BigJay

...sounds familiar... even tought my "kingdom" isn't has big as yours, i think there is so many options out there... For exemple, there is an western facing slop area that we love... but we'd love to know the northern side better... but in between, it's super dense... and super boring... as you said... got about 8 turns... and then nothing but bushwacking the whole way out... realizing we were so close to another area we love to rip afterwards was frustrating... Linking areas in order to make it for the "supreme" ride is hard... each of these small areas have something special... Again, another area we poked around last year as a great pillow line. And by great i mean, you can't believe no one hits it on a regular basis. But then, you realise that after this line, it's mostly flat... not enough to re-skin... but enough to be boring and slow... So then you poke higher trying to link it to something... and you realize there is a whole flat section that gets all your speed and drop you on a different aspect... So you end up never doing that line in great conditions... simply because it's too far...

I hope to get a tour in this weekends... things seems to be lining up for either sat or sunday... i'd prefer saturday... but we'll see!

Great reading your reports Dave! Keep it up!

kingdom-tele

its magical either way IMO, even getting skunked with good friends in tow leads to good stories over the post ski beer - turns are always the driving force -but you have to appreciate the simple beauty of the woods in the winter - looking forward to a morning of powder and a tour of camel's hump this weekend

dave - interested in Belvidere at all?

deadheadskier

Staff member
guard? it's asbestos correct? they still mine it?

I've never been up close, only looked at it from a distance. How high is the pile?

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Yes, asbestos mine, still owned by Manosh. Toxic waste superfund site now, a lot of mine debris and equipment, a liability nightmare, so it's guarded. So you have to approach from a long way around to get to the pile. It's about 300 vert. 50 degrees. Fun when everything else is tracked out. But very avi prone. Examination of the trees at the bottom of the pile shows alot of activity every year.