• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NWS 2016 / 2017 Winter forecast!

VTKilarney

We didn't get hit that hard here in northeastern Vermont. My driveway had at most a foot.

Kleetus

Whiteface just updated again, 33" and still snowing. If the person taking the measurements is correct, they must be under absurdly intense banding to be putting down 5" per hour.

I dont think I've ever personally witnessed snowfall at that rate. Last year when we got 36" in my backyard it topped out at 3" per hour, and that was nuts enough.

Saying they got 40" now. I believe it. My family's place in the ADK's got 33". 12" of which occurred in around an hour of a half. Gore said they got over 2 feet but need to remeasure for the exact total.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

I'm in Chicago on my way back from Cali... flight got cancelled due to the storm, will be flying home tomorrow.

Have some work commitments Thurs/Fri/Sat so first chance I'll have to ski the Stella Snow will be Sunday.

Then weekend after that I head to Colorado for work stuff + Telluride. Hope it stays cold out east and this snow sticks around.

BenedictGomez

Saying they got 40" now. I believe it. My family's place in the ADK's got 33". 12" of which occurred in around an hour of a half. Gore said they got over 2 feet but need to remeasure for the exact total.

The thing I'm not understanding is, where did they measure?

From their posts it sounds like that 40" must be at the base, because they werent able to make it to the summit. If you look at their website, even Little Whiteface is closed. So if that's right and nobody has been able to get to the top, you'd have to imagine it must be more like 50" or more up there. Whatever it is, I'm sure glad I booked my lodging when I did and I cant wait for the weekend.

tnt1234

So how is this weekend looking? I'm thinking of getting a room and doing Belleayre then Platty on Sunday.

Best I could swing was one day - got a room for Friday night and skiing Platty with my kids on Saturday. Really looking forward to it. Seems likely it's the season ender for us, so nice to go out with soft snow on the ground.

NYDB

Best I could swing was one day - got a room for Friday night and skiing Platty with my kids on Saturday. Really looking forward to it. Seems likely it's the season ender for us, so nice to go out with soft snow on the ground.

Season Ender? Pshaw. Forecast looks great 10 days out temp wise with a few possible systems rolling through.

tnt1234

The snowmelt scenario makes sense, clearly off the table now.

Not sure I agree about where to go tomorrow; trees both inbounds at Belle and across the ridge at Highmount will be going off! I know those tree areas well but I don't know the best tree areas at Platty (one of these days I hope to convince a Platty regular to show me around). Plus no cash to ski tomorrow with the NYS 3 in 1 at Belle.

Having trouble deciding where the best powder will be on a Wednesday after the epic Feb meltdown seemed to ruin winter seems like a pretty good problem to have right now. Stoked!

Yeah, dream catcher glade alone is a compelling reason to go to Bell. Great glade.

But oddly, today they are listing glades closed...seems impossible.

So how do you ski high mount? Hike over from tomahawk, then hike out to access road at the bottom of high mount?

Other thing I'm interested in trying at Belle is the Cathedral Glen trail to the X-C trails at the base...sounds like a fun excursion.

Rowsdower

Yeah, dream catcher glade alone is a compelling reason to go to Bell. Great glade.

But oddly, today they are listing glades closed...seems impossible.

So how do you ski high mount? Hike over from tomahawk, then hike out to access road at the bottom of high mount?

Other thing I'm interested in trying at Belle is the Cathedral Glen trail to the X-C trails at the base...sounds like a fun excursion.

Cathedral Brook is a lot of fun when conditions are on. It requires a deal of skating down the ridge to get to though. But for that reason it gets very little traffic.

tnt1234

Cathedral Brook is a lot of fun when conditions are on. It requires a deal of skating down the ridge to get to though. But for that reason it gets very little traffic.

Love that trail.

But there is a hiking trail beyond it called cathedral glen that evidently can be skied if it's deep enough.

Rowsdower

And Tomahawk Liftline, if there's enough snow, is one of the gnarliest runs in the Catskills. I think they call it "Liftline Glade" or something now.

Even though Belle doesn't have sustained pitch, its got some pretty fun terrain.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
The thing I'm not understanding is, where did they measure?

From their posts it sounds like that 40" must be at the base, because they werent able to make it to the summit. If you look at their website, even Little Whiteface is closed. So if that's right and nobody has been able to get to the top, you'd have to imagine it must be more like 50" or more up there. Whatever it is, I'm sure glad I booked my lodging when I did and I cant wait for the weekend.
People skin up the Toll Rd to the summit all the time.

j law

The you'd have to imagine it must be more like 50" or more up there.
Whatever it is, I'm sure glad I booked my lodging when I did and I cant wait for the weekend.

Enjoy!!! I can't enjoy this storm but appreciate all the maps over the past couple years that have helped hit amazing powder days at Magic, Gore, and Jay.

For you tree skiers out there, be careful as there wasn't much coverage before the storm!

Sent from my iPhone usin