• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NY New Snow Gun Program

slatham

if all that take take 300k then less than 17 will get monies.

That assumes 17 at the maxed out level of $300k. But I have to assume each area has to put up a decent amount of money, maybe half (wasn't efficiency VT about half)? So to get $300k, you have to spend $300k. Not sure how many areas, other than the obvious, can come up with $300k. Also, assuming $3k per gun, to get the full $300k match (where you spend $600k) that's 200 guns! Yes I am sure there are other expenditures that will qualify, but just as an example.....

asnowmobiler

[FONT=&quot]“With a maximum of $300,000 in funding allowed per resort we have insured the $5,000,000 will be equitably dispersed to all our ski areas, both large and small,” said SANY president Scott Brandi. Funds will be provided at an 80/20 match, with 80 percent of the funds paid by the program and 20 percent paid by the ski area, subject to maximum funding based on snow gun type.[/FONT]

slatham

Wow that's a hell of a nice split. I hope Plattekill and other such areas take advantage.

Yes I am not sure I want my tax dollars being spent this way. But when I consider it might keep areas in business that might fail, lessens the strain on electric infrastructure, and offers outdoor winter recreation to New Yorkers (and me) then I think the $5mm is reasonable.

What I truly do not like is the state running ski areas and having those areas subsidized by tax dollars. While that is OK by me if its the only available ski area, in reality this is at the detriment of nearby ski areas which I do not believe is fair.

icecoast1

Ridiculous waste of New Yorker's paychecks.

In other words, same **** different day.

So true. Can't fix the roads and bridges that are deteriorating everywhere but we can buy new snow guns to replace ones that work just fine

skiur

Wow that's a hell of a nice split. I hope Plattekill and other such areas take advantage.

Yes I am not sure I want my tax dollars being spent this way. But when I consider it might keep areas in business that might fail, lessens the strain on electric infrastructure, and offers outdoor winter recreation to New Yorkers (and me) then I think the $5mm is reasonable.

What I truly do not like is the state running ski areas and having those areas subsidized by tax dollars. While that is OK by me if its the only available ski area, in reality this is at the detriment of nearby ski areas which I do not believe is fair.

Whiteface Gore & Bellayre have it made, NYS taxpayers pay for both sides of the split! I think as a taxpayer of NYS I should get a few free lift tickets each year to each state run ski resort.

cdskier

Almost 20 Million people in NY. Even if only half were taxpayers, that would only be 50 cents from every one of those people to pay for this. To me that's not a bad use of 50 cents and I'd rather see it go towards that then much of the other garbage they waste money on.

HowieT2

Almost 20 Million people in NY. Even if only half were taxpayers, that would only be 50 cents from every one of those people to pay for this. To me that's not a bad use of 50 cents and I'd rather see it go towards that then much of the other garbage they waste money on.

it really sucks to come on here and have to read the same people foisting their political beliefs into every topic.

Is it really a waste of money? the new guns use less than 5% of the electricity of the old guns. lower the demand for electricity and guess what, electricity rates go down, and so all NY taxpayers will save some money. not to mention the benefits to the environment.

cdskier

it really sucks to come on here and have to read the same people foisting their political beliefs into every topic.

Is it really a waste of money? the new guns use less than 5% of the electricity of the old guns. lower the demand for electricity and guess what, electricity rates go down, and so all NY taxpayers will save some money. not to mention the benefits to the environment.

Right. I don't see it as a waste at all. I completely agree that helping resorts switch to low e guns offers long term benefits and long term cost savings. I really was surprised to see people complaining about this.

BenedictGomez

the new guns use less than 5% of the electricity of the old guns. lower the demand for electricity and guess what, electricity rates go down, and so all NY taxpayers will save some money. not to mention the benefits to the environment.

MEtoVTSkier

In my 34+ years of paying for electricity, I've never seen the rates go DOWN. At least not for any meaningful amount of time that amounts to a substantial savings to the customers...

Jully

There’s irony here, for those familiar with your posts.

I read that as BG pointing out the hypocrisy of someone complaining about politics then responding with a politically bent post. I'd be floored if it actually bugged him at all, especially as that post was rather tangentially political at all.

I unfortunately just don't see a way to talk about a state program like this without it coming to taxpayers and therefore politics. Its been civil and fine thus far though.