• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NY Times: Skiers Risk Answering the Call of Their Wild Side

RossiSkier

2.3 You may download or copy the Content and other downloadable items displayed on the Service, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained therein.

Greg

Staff member
Please post just the link, RossiSkier. Thanks.

RossiSkier

Greg said:

You can't post the link. It is a subscription service. There's no graphics. It's not killng your bandwidth greg. Get real.

dmc

RossiSkier said:
Greg said:

You can't post the link. It is a subscription service. There's no graphics. It's not killng your bandwidth greg. Get real.

Greg is just following the law...

JimG.

Staff member
Now this is a well thought out article, and it says it like it is. Go OB at your own risk, be prepared and be prepared for anything, don't go alone. If you don't know the area, get a guide or befriend a local who can show you the goods.

Seems like common sense. I know, that gets forgotten in this age of warnings, blame throwing, and lawsuits. But here's the bottom line: it's your life, and other than family issues, do you care what happens after you die? Will you be happier dead if someone is blamed or sued?

Fact is, the more people go OB, the more deaths we will hear about and the more restrictions we will see. It has become "the thing to do". I truly understand the concern that local backcountry skiers feel when they see newbies flying off into the woods without a clue.

Greg

Staff member
RossiSkier said:
It has nothing to do with bandwidth. It's about copywright laws. The fact that the NYT a subscription service makes this more important. I have to respect the fact that the NYT is a business and reader subscriptions are one of the revenue streams. I feel the same way about sites that rely on advertising on their article pages. I don't like it when I find articles here simply copied and pasted elsewhere without any form of recognition or a link. The policy here is to post article links only, and doing so is welcome and encouraged.

Perhaps, I'm just being picky, but whatever. I always try to take the high road and am a strong believer in karma so if anyone thinks I'm too fussy with this link-only policy, so be it. Finally, I'm not picking on you, Rossi. In fact, this has come up before and I agreed with Marc in that instance and Charlie happens to be an offline friend of mine so it's nothing personal.

ctenidae

Copyright laws are the issue. One of the papers in Dallas (I forget which) tried 9unsuccessfuly, fortunately, butnot because it's okay to do it) a few websites for "deep linking" which bypasses a lot of advertising. That's why a lot of sites are subscription, or, like the NYT, registration-required. You can post the link, and if people are registered, they can read it.

That being said, yup. It's your life. It's in your hands.
I'm quite certain my backcountry skills (as do not relate to skiing) can get me out of most situations. I'm also quite certain that I don't ski at a level that gives me a reasonable margin of safety, and I will likely end up crashing and putting myself in one of the situations I can't get out of. No matter how He-Man you are, hiking on a broken knee isn't easy. So, I stay on piste or marked glades. My momma didn't raise no fool. Well, she did, but they're my brothers.

RossiSkier

2. NYT WEB CONTENT AND SUBSCRIBER SUBMISSIONS

2.3 You may download or copy the Content and other downloadable items displayed on the Service, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained therein.

dmc

We heard you the first time... But maybe if you want to chastize the guy that runs the site - you can PM him rather then doing it publically...

It's kinda embarassing.... ;)

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the bold large text, Rossi. My eyesight really is going... :roll: Anyways:

However, you may download material from The New York Times on the Web (one machine readable copy and one print copy per page) for your personal, noncommercial use only.
Source

Further:

2.2 The Service and its Contents are protected by copyright pursuant to U.S. and international copyright laws. You may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale of, reproduce (except as provided in Section 2.3 of this Agreement), create new works from, distribute, perform, display, or in any way exploit, any of the Content or the Service (including software) in whole or in part.

2.3 You may download or copy the Content and other downloadable items displayed on the Service for personal use only, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained therein. Copying or storing of any Content for other than personal use is expressly prohibited without prior written permission from The New York Times Rights and Permissions Department, or the copyright holder identified in the copyright notice contained in the Content.
Source

Posting on a public message board goes well beyond "personal use". Why are you challenging me here? What I'm asking is not that hard to abide by...

Vortex

thankx Greg. Alot of what DMC has been saying about being prepared and aware of what you are doing and having back country gadgets is mentioned.

dmc

Bob R said:
thankx Greg. Alot of what DMC has been saying about being prepared and aware of what you are doing and having back country gadgets is mentioned.

More gadgets!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

I'm giving a transceiver class to some friends headed to Banf this weekend... Not goin to get too technical.. I just want them to have them on... And know how to use them... They're Trackers so they are pretty easy to use... I may get a Piep too for them to use for practice when they are out there...

All my friends have an open transceiver lending policy... If your not using it - lend it... That way more people will use them and buy them... The more we have as a group the better...

dmc

Bob R said:
DMC I was having fun, did not think it would take long for you to respond. :lol:

systems down... bored...