• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NYT article on Stevens Pass avalanche last year

Edd

Saw this on other forums. It's a long read but fascinating with a good dose of video throughout. I used to ski Stevens when I lived in WA. I had trouble with the page links as I went but you just have to mess with it.

I'm sure anyone here with backcountry experience will read this with interest but be warned it's a bit of a downer.

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek

Cannonball

Actually the 3rd time that's been posted here this week. But, yes, very cool article. Very well written and the interactive features add quite a lot the story.

It's a pretty sad story. But also very much a wake up call about complacency and the value of speaking up when you know you should. It's kind of interesting to realize that even people at such a high level in their industry have fear and anxiety about speaking up to others because of fear of rejection. You tend to think that is limited to inexperienced people, but it carries all the way through. If just one of them had spoken up the rest probably would have agreed and their plans would have changed for the safer. I've absolutely been guilty of that myself and have been lucky not to have suffered such severe consequences.