• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

October Turns

4aprice

I may be in the minority but we are only at the 1/3 mark of fall. I've never done much skiing before the 2/3 mark so I'm anything but in panic mode.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

I get nervous when it snows early. Seems like it always results in a warm up or rain a week or two later.

Puck it

I may be in the minority but we are only at the 1/3 mark of fall. I've never done much skiing before the 2/3 mark so I'm anything but in panic mode.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I am. Can't you see I need it man!!!. I need a fix!!!!!!

catsup948

Yeah rain from now until Tuesday. Then warmish Tuesday- Thursday. After that it seems temps start to fall. Who knows maybe up high it's not as warm late next week and they attempt to blow for a Halloween opening! Not likely but you never know...

BenedictGomez

October has been mild, and November looks relatively mild as well. Things should look much better in December.

Vortex

looks cold enough Wed through Friday to make Snow. I have not ruled out the end of next week. Below are base numbers at the River. Always hard to tell early season if elevation helps or if we get an inversion. I plan on going next weekend. May be a day or two into november. We shall see.

• MonOct 27

Partly sunny and mild48°Lo 32°

• TueOct 28

Partly sunny and not as cool55°Lo 38°
      more

• WedOct 29

Variable cloudiness56°Lo 23°
      more

• ThuOct 30

Colder with clouds and sun45°Lo 25°
      more

• FriOct 31

Colder with a bit of ice37°Lo 22°

wa-loaf

Skiing by Halloween is usually a stretch goal anyway. Anything before November is really a bonus.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Since October snow melts to nothing 90% of the time this is a blessing for the resorts as they don't have to waste resources that go down the creek. It puts less pressure on the non-early season resorts who get pounded by the public for not making snow whenever there's a night where it gets below 30 degrees.

Now if it were November 15 and there was no skiing then I'd be nervous. That would kill Thanksgiving skiing, which is a money maker for some resorts.

BenedictGomez

Now if it were November 15 and there was no skiing then I'd be nervous. That would kill Thanksgiving skiing, which is a money maker for some resorts.

It is?

I always assumed Thanksgiving Weekend was limited to the diehards and opening day/weekend crew (and almost always at reduced rates).

Old Duderino

Can't any one of you who live in the NE get September, October & November turns anytime you want at Tucks or is that more of a April-June thing?

KevinF

Can't any one of you who live in the NE get September, October & November turns anytime you want at Tucks or is that more of a April-June thing?

Tucks is an April/May thing, with June being a possibility if you're willing to a hike a long ways for a few turns.

It has snowed every month of the year on Mt. Washington, but it's a dusting -- it doesn't stick. It's probably turning white up near the summit area by now, but there are very big rocks up there that need to be covered.

mbedle

Tucks is an April/May thing, with June being a possibility if you're willing to a hike a long ways for a few turns.

It has snowed every month of the year on Mt. Washington, but it's a dusting -- it doesn't stick. It's probably turning white up near the summit area by now, but there are very big rocks up there that need to be covered.

That is an understatement - I just looked at the webcams and its frozen solid and covered in snow. deck-med.jpg

dlague

Since October snow melts to nothing 90% of the time this is a blessing for the resorts as they don't have to waste resources that go down the creek. It puts less pressure on the non-early season resorts who get pounded by the public for not making snow whenever there's a night where it gets below 30 degrees.

This is a blessing is right! They have not been spending a boat load on snow making this month in the case of SR and Killington during a time of year that is more than likely not very profitable. Chances are also very high that when the cold comes it may be more stable for the long haul resulting in hopefully few thaw and refreeze situations.