• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Expansion? (Yes, there's more condos) Expansion Approved

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Timber Creek - Proposed

In the permitting process as of 2012, Timber Creek could be Okemo's next big real estate development. Located below the South Face area, Timber Creek would potentially feature 208 units, mixed between homes, duplexes, and condominium complexes, as well as an "owner's base lodge."

About 550 vertical feet of lift serviced ski trails would be created in the complex below the South Face Quad chairlift. The seven trail network would be serviced by two lifts.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/Vermont/okemo.php#timbercreek

Taken from NESH
Interesting. Hope this doesn't overcrowd the South Face. That lift already has some of the longest lines at Okemo. I don't see how it could support the increase of skiers. This would destroy the glades over on that side of the mountain (which is already Okemo's worst kept secret). If this does get built, it won't be pretty. 20 minute lift lines on South Face and Glades. Rimrock would become a superhighway. (begin rant) Really, Rimrock is pretty much the only way out of South Face. It is a high-intermediate (by Okemo's standards) and is already over-crowded with all types of people. People trying to pick-up speed for the Catnap traverse. Beginners, experts, and intermediates trying to leave South Face. It's already a mess. Now add condo-goers to the mix. Not pretty. And I won't even get started on the Glades peak quad base/Ledges quad unload intersection. Add more slow signs to that area! It's a steep approach to Glades and people are flying in both directions! (end rant) And Okemo really needs more condos? Are they trying to become North Ludlow? The place already has the most condos in the Northeast (besides Sugarloaf)! Can you tell me no wants this?!

twinplanx

Perhaps Mr. Okemo can chime in here, if the responses in the other thread haven't scared him off...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I wouldn't think this would increase traffic on that side of the mtn that much. I wouldn't think anyone besides those staying in the condos would bother going out of their way to ski that flat (even by Okemo standards) terrain.

skiking4

God. Just looks like a waste of space to me! Might as well save those trees and cut down the trees where the ski terrain is actually good!

EPB

I wouldn't think this would increase traffic on that side of the mtn that much. I wouldn't think anyone besides those staying in the condos would bother going out of their way to ski that flat (even by Okemo standards) terrain.

Agreed. Further, the layout doesn't seem particularly conducive to good cruising either.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed. Not meaningful ski terrain. It's essentially just another South Ridge area. Remember, while run by the Muellers, Okemo has been owned by CNL for a few years now, so it's not surprising that additional Real Estate development is what's being pursued. The only compelling ski terrain they could (if permitted) build would be off the backside at this point. There actually appears to be some terrain with more pitch back there than the front side of the mountain, but it would have an exposure that would hold snow well.

Newpylong

Seems like an awful lot of infrastructure to support condo development - 2 lifts and 7 trails?

Give them one lift out of there and one trail in...

Hopefully it doesn't put more strain on South Face that it can't handle. that's one of the only areas I ski at when I go there...

Last edited:

legalskier

Okemo expansion approved

"The permit will allow the developers to build 22 single-family homes, 32 duplex buildings, nine townhouse condominiums, a base lodge for homeowners, two ski lifts, seven ski trails, access roads, parking lots and a community water system. The proposed development will be situated on 268 acres...."

Full story:
http://rutlandherald.com/article/20130916/THISJUSTIN/709169969

bdfreetuna

Wonder where this new terrain will be. I sort of suspect most of these new trails will be devoted to direct access to the condos.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There was a thread elsewhere on the project. The terrain is below the Southface area. And yes, pretty much a trail pod catering to those new homes; nothing significant in terms of additional decent skiing except for added beginner terrain.

steamboat1

LUDLOW — The District 2 Environmental Commission issued an Act 250 permit Friday to Timber Creek and five other partners to build a 208-unit village at Okemo Mountain Resort in Ludlow.

The permit will allow the developers to build 22 single-family homes, 32 duplex buildings, nine townhouse condominiums, a base lodge for homeowners, two ski lifts, seven ski trails, access roads, parking lots and a community water system. The proposed development will be situated on 268 acres, which includes the Carnes Parcel and the Miller Tract in Ludlow, and the proposed residential recreational community will be a private access development. The owners and guests will have access to Okemo ski trials and amenities and there will be no public access, according to the applicants.

The partners submitted the Act 250 permit application in October 2012.

Edd

Never heard of a base lodge for home owners. Sounds nice if you can swing it.

twinplanx

Never heard of a base lodge for home owners. Sounds nice if you can swing it.

The main base area is rather confined on weekends. I'm assuming this new development may ease some of that pressure eventually...

twinplanx

The main base area is rather confined on weekends. I'm assuming this new development may ease some of that pressure eventually...

Guess I should of read the full article first, lol
Sounds like some kind of haughty taughty gated community with "no public access"
ya gota keep 'em separated smh