• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo Expansion? (Yes, there's more condos) Expansion Approved

legalskier

Sounds like some kind of haughty taughty gated community with "no public access"
ya gota keep 'em separated smh

Last time I was there I noticed how upscale the place had gone since my prior visit. Be that as it may, I'm more interested in the 7 new trails and 2 new lifts. Curious to see how they fit in.

C-Rex

Apparently, this expansion will do nothing to cure the intense boredom experienced by anyone with more than beginner skills. Yay.

WoodCore

I like it, will finally have ski-in/ski-out access from my folks house! :daffy:

dlague

I don't mind skiing Okemo but ski very specific trails when we are there! Far skiers right and some stuff down the middle. I see it as a cruising resort kinda like Bretton Woods. Both of those are our Sunday afternoon fillers if nothing better is possible. The new trails probably will not be anything worth while.

podunk77

I have nothing against wealthy people, especially if their million dollar slope-side homes help keep my season pass affordable. Skiing's about having fun, and if they've come by their money honestly, they have as much right to enjoy themselves on the slopes as I do.

spiderpig

It's years away and supposedly a private development, but surprisingly on this year's trail map as a future expansion.

xlr8r

I'm surprised Okemo has not finished building out Jackson Gore. I understand this is a different type of and higher end real estate than JG. But there is still more room to build a few more timeshare buildings at JG that were once shown in drawings and renderings. I am glad it seems like the gondola is dead, because I think that would have been a rather pointless alignment for a gondola. But I think it would be nice if maybe they built a second way out of Jackson Gore by adding a lift up to connect at least the morningstar chair but maybe up to the solitude chair.

deadheadskier

Staff member
But I think it would be nice if maybe they built a second way out of Jackson Gore by adding a lift up to connect at least the morningstar chair but maybe up to the solitude chair.

A lift connecting from Jackson Gore to Solitude base would be a nice improvement. It is a PITA to get back to the main mountain from Jackson Gore and I also agree that running a gondola from that base to the summit doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

giantfan

It's years away and supposedly a private development, but surprisingly on this year's trail map as a future expansion.

The project is going to start this spring, not years from now. The trail work is supposed to start this spring and the lifts could be spinning next year.

WoodCore

I can verify that the construction is going to get started in the next few months. No idea when the lifts and trails will be ready but do know that they will be managed by Okemo and open to the public.

Believe it or not this pod of trails has been a long time coming and was originally proposed before Jackson Gore was a wink in Tim Mueller's eye. I have a map of the original proposed design somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.