• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

okemo or stratton over the holiday

tnt1234

Thinking we might need to ski a place with strong snow making and grooming this saturday.

Would you choose Okemo or Stratton? I would imagine both will be jam packed, but I'm thinking Okemo might handle crowds better?

Haven't been to Okemo in about 10 years.

Boy this weather is a drag....

skimagic

Thinking we might need to ski a place with strong snow making and grooming this saturday.

Would you choose Okemo or Stratton? I would imagine both will be jam packed, but I'm thinking Okemo might handle crowds better?

Definitely Okemo, since it has more terrain pods with their own high speed lift. its pretty efficient once out of the mainbase area.

At Stratton, the gondola will be packed and the URSA lift is the only other real option to get vertical. the shooting star sixpack lift is has limited use but can be good to avoid a crowd if you don't mind skiing the same 3 routes -800 vertical- drop to it. The snowbowl lift will run, but is slow and doesn't get jammed up.
The Stratton Sunbowl lift is ok for some easy intermediate cruising for a bit.
Both mountains ski the same difficulty wise and have annoying cross trail traffic. If its real windy, the stratton gondola might not run so avoid the base area.

bdfreetuna

Okemo > Stratton, but not by a lot.

I think Okemo is a bit steeper than Stratton, although both mountains offer zilch for variety.

Personally I am never going to either place on a Saturday again unless it's skiing Okemo in November.

My impression in these situations is that Stratton has a good reputation but sometimes lets it slide... Okemo has a good reputation and usually lives up to it ... when it comes to mountain recovery operations after bad weather

Since it appears like it will be warm this weekend in SoVT it looks like you won't be reaping "recovery efforts" anyway, but rather should expect to ski springlike conditions whereever you go.

kingslug

I found Okemo to be far better than Stratton. I will never go back to Flatten ...twice was enough. I did find some decent terrain at Okemo after a storm, some bumps, some trees, something I never found at Flatten.
And the 6pack bubble chairs are rather comfy.

gmcunni

i haven't skied O in a couple years, S in many.. but i'd think O would handle the crowds better (once you get away from the base lodges) BUT i think both will be crazy crowded. you day tripping or already have a place to stay?

tnt1234

Okemo > Stratton, but not by a lot.

I think Okemo is a bit steeper than Stratton, although both mountains offer zilch for variety.

Personally I am never going to either place on a Saturday again unless it's skiing Okemo in November.

My impression in these situations is that Stratton has a good reputation but sometimes lets it slide... Okemo has a good reputation and usually lives up to it ... when it comes to mountain recovery operations after bad weather

Since it appears like it will be warm this weekend in SoVT it looks like you won't be reaping "recovery efforts" anyway, but rather should expect to ski springlike conditions whereever you go.

Fri> Sat looks cold. Sunday looks warm.

But if it's warm temps, that will change our thinking. Might finally do Magic, or drive to Pico then...

tnt1234

i haven't skied O in a couple years, S in many.. but i'd think O would handle the crowds better (once you get away from the base lodges) BUT i think both will be crazy crowded. you day tripping or already have a place to stay?

No-refundable room in Manchester for Friday and Saturday night. Goal was to finally try Magic but weather conspiring against us here.

gnardawg

Quick question on Okemo - can you park at Jackson Gore or is that strictly for people staying there?

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
You can definitely park at Jackson Gore. We parked at lower lot at main lodge where buses park. Leave before the crowds or experience gridlock to get out. I did not love O at all. Boring..lots of transitions, no flow to the trails. LOVED Homestyle Hostel for dining / drinks, in Ludlow.

tnt1234

lol.

Yeah, well, I don't have a lot of options here....

Looks like Magic is down to two ways down, and it might rain Friday.

I guess I could try Bromly? Never been.

Pico? That's an hour from Manchester....should be less crowded.

There was a chance N.Vt would see some snow Friday, and if so, I'd drive the couple hours to MRG, or even Stowe, but forecasts showing that was a passing hope.

Got to go somewhere...

HD333

Haven't been to Okemo in about 10 years.

Boy this weather is a drag....

Of the 2 I’d choose Okemo.

Get there early and Lap the Sunburst 6, or Southface, when crowds start head over to Jackson Gore and lap the bubble there. Some good runs off that pod, white lighting, rolling thunder are my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edd

lol.
Got to go somewhere...

Do you? I admit, I’m a crowd snob. But how important is it to ski this weekend, when it will be challenging to have a good time? If holiday weekends are it for you, then I get it but I don’t otherwise.

Dick Gazinya

lol.

Yeah, well, I don't have a lot of options here....

Looks like Magic is down to two ways down, and it might rain Friday.

I guess I could try Bromly? Never been.

Pico? That's an hour from Manchester....should be less crowded.

There was a chance N.Vt would see some snow Friday, and if so, I'd drive the couple hours to MRG, or even Stowe, but forecasts showing that was a passing hope.

Got to go somewhere...

You'd probably be best to do Bromley if you are stuck in that area this weekend. Sucks to book things ahead of time. Or commit to anything, especially holiday periods.