• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo to hit 300 acres of open terrain

dlague

If the whole of Okemo was open I would still not go. If shit was free I still wouldn't eat it.

But you ski Pats Peak?

I would still go and probably will once this year! There are many flat runs and boring cruisers but I still find stuff I enjoy! I like variety so we ski many ski resorts in a single season including Pats!

C-Rex

If the whole of Okemo was open I would still not go. If shit was free I still wouldn't eat it.

Agreed. I've disliked that place since I ordered a shot of Jaeger in the bar and they told me they didn't carry it because it's a family mountain. Seriously. So, let me get this straight, I can get bombed on whiskey all day but not Jaeger because they see some stigma attached to it. That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. It's not even that I HAVE to have Jaeger. It's more that that "family mountain" bullshit is incredibly lame.

Savemeasammy

But you ski Pats Peak?
/QUOTE]

Hey, hey, hey! Leave poor Pats out if this! Since Pats is 15 minutes away, I'm a passholder. Pats is probably a one-and-done for most, but it works for us and our one skiing kid (and a second hopeful skier).

More on topic: I did okemo one time once upon a time. It's a place I would probably go with my family, but if I were seeking out a challenge, I would go elsewhere. That they are aggressively making snow and expanding terrain is a boon for us skiers. Other resorts are compelled to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

But you ski Pats Peak?
/QUOTE]

Hey, hey, hey! Leave poor Pats out if this! Since Pats is 15 minutes away, I'm a passholder. Pats is probably a one-and-done for most, but it works for us and our one skiing kid (and a second hopeful skier).

More on topic: I did okemo one time once upon a time. It's a place I would probably go with my family, but if I were seeking out a challenge, I would go elsewhere. That they are aggressively making snow and expanding terrain is a boon for us skiers. Other resorts are compelled to keep up.

I agree with your comments then again we usually ski Pats a few times too since it is about twenty minutes from Concord.

Savemeasammy

(Further thread derailment): Night skiing is critical to being a passholder here for me. HUGE bonus! And that the whole mountain is lit up is a plus.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed. I've disliked that place since I ordered a shot of Jaeger in the bar and they told me they didn't carry it because it's a family mountain. Seriously. So, let me get this straight, I can get bombed on whiskey all day but not Jaeger because they see some stigma attached to it. That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. It's not even that I HAVE to have Jaeger. It's more that that "family mountain" bullshit is incredibly lame.

I work at one of the top rated Marriott resorts in the country. Super posh place. We don't serve Jaeger. Sorry. Guess we suck too.

I can respect anyone's opinion on why they don't like a ski area because of a preference for the kind of skiing they offer.....but criticizing a place because you can't do Jaeger Bombs is a little nit picky. Expand your booze horizons my friend.

C-Rex

I work at one of the top rated Marriott resorts in the country. Super posh place. We don't serve Jaeger. Sorry. Guess we suck too.

I can respect anyone's opinion on why they don't like a ski area because of a preference for the kind of skiing they offer.....but criticizing a place because you can't do Jaeger Bombs is a little nit picky. Expand your booze horizons my friend.

Haha! I knew someone would take it too literally. Obviously, my opinion of Okemo has a lot more to do with the terrain and whatnot, but the Jaeger incident was the straw that broke the camel's back. And you also seem to have missed the entire point of my post since I said it wasn't so much about the booze as it was their attitude of "we're a family mountain".

And one more thing, I don't do bombs. I'm not a Guido from the Jersey shore. I just wanted a shot.

Big Game

Jaegermeister means "hunt-master" in German.

So yeah, I could see how someone would be upset about not being served a hunt-master cocktail after blasting down Jolly Green Giant. That totally makes sense.

Smellytele

But you ski Pats Peak?

I would still go and probably will once this year! There are many flat runs and boring cruisers but I still find stuff I enjoy! I like variety so we ski many ski resorts in a single season including Pats!
I ski Pats because it is 5 minutes from home and I have never paid to ski there. If Okemo was 5 mins from my house and free I would ski it but it is as expensive as the big boys in the NE and far less impressive. Hurricane at Pats while not very long is actually steeper than anything I have skied at Okemo.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Haha! I knew someone would take it too literally. Obviously, my opinion of Okemo has a lot more to do with the terrain and whatnot, but the Jaeger incident was the straw that broke the camel's back. And you also seem to have missed the entire point of my post since I said it wasn't so much about the booze as it was their attitude of "we're a family mountain".

And one more thing, I don't do bombs. I'm not a Guido from the Jersey shore. I just wanted a shot.

Pro Tip: learn how to drink

There are bars everywhere that don't serve shots. However every bar will serve you whatever you want served "neat".

I've enjoyed countless "shots" at okemo and other places that don't serve "shots". You just need to know how to order them properly.

ScottySkis

Just bring your own why pay a resort 10 for a shot. That price is CST of a small bottle that will last the weekend.

C-Rex

Pro Tip: learn how to drink

There are bars everywhere that don't serve shots. However every bar will serve you whatever you want served "neat".

I've enjoyed countless "shots" at okemo and other places that don't serve "shots". You just need to know how to order them properly.

I don't know why you seem to insist that this is due to some sort of ignorance on my part. Are you just trying to troll me or something? Why are you so offended by someone elses (half joking) opinion? I'm perfectly aware of the "order it neat" loophole. That wasn't the issue. They do serve shots. We got whiskey instead. Why don't you tell me how a bar refusing to carry one type of liquor yet carrying many other types with equal or greater ABV makes any sense? Especially something as popular as Jaeger. How does having a lesser selection help them in any way? How is your posh Marriott bar better because they DON'T carry something? I think they're misunderstanding the definition of exclusivity. I won't apologize for disliking that snobby, holier than thou attitude.

Pro Tip: Don't make insulting assumptions about people. You just end up looking like an asshole.

C-Rex

Just bring your own why pay a resort 10 for a shot. That price is CST of a small bottle that will last the weekend.

Forgot my flask that day. It was super cold and I just wanted a belly-warmer before going back out after lunch. But I hear ya.

Back on topic. To Okemo's credit I do think they have some of the best man-made snow and grooming around. I like the Jackson Gore area, especially Tuckered Out. And that medium sized jump line under one of the triples is always very nice.

THERE. Now can all the Okemo lovers please settle down? I didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibilities.

giantfan

They just hit 400 acres, maintaining their lead.

The ropes drop on 3 more trails tomorrow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't know why you seem to insist that this is due to some sort of ignorance on my part. Are you just trying to troll me or something? Why are you so offended by someone elses (half joking) opinion? I'm perfectly aware of the "order it neat" loophole. That wasn't the issue. They do serve shots. We got whiskey instead. Why don't you tell me how a bar refusing to carry one type of liquor yet carrying many other types with equal or greater ABV makes any sense? Especially something as popular as Jaeger. How does having a lesser selection help them in any way? How is your posh Marriott bar better because they DON'T carry something? I think they're misunderstanding the definition of exclusivity. I won't apologize for disliking that snobby, holier than thou attitude.

Pro Tip: Don't make insulting assumptions about people. You just end up looking like an asshole.

wow dude. angry much? :lol: