• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Packing for a trip out West

So Inclined

So here I am, about to take my first pandemic era flight (Delta) to SLC tomorrow. I've got a Thule Roundtrip double ski roller bag (fits my skis and my friend's skis, as well as some clothes/some gear for padding) plus a Thule Roundtrip boot bag (containing my boots, helmet) which can strap right on to the roller - as I understand it, this arrangement will count as 1 checked bag?

I know the pro move is to carry your boots on board but I'm not sure my boots would fit in any of the small luggage-type bags or backpacks I've got - perhaps they would, but they won't leave much room for anything else in the backpack. I also don't want to carry the boots alone and not have any other carry-on. It's a direct EWR-SLC flight, so I should be just fine...right?

pinion

That combo will count as 1 bag as long as they are under 50lb combined.

You'll likely see a few loose boots being shoved into the overhead. Sometimes separately. Sometimes right at the edge of the compartments just waiting to fall out and whack someone in the head. Saw it happen on my SLC > BOS flight Sunday night.

So Inclined

That combo will count as 1 bag as long as they are under 50lb combined.

You'll likely see a few loose boots being shoved into the overhead. Sometimes separately. Sometimes right at the edge of the compartments just waiting to fall out and whack someone in the head. Saw it happen on my SLC > BOS flight Sunday night.

But if I take my boots onboard loose, in-hand as carry-on then I can't take an actual carry-on bag, can I? Or is that my "personal item"? Because, well, boots are very personal after all :)

I'm also tetchy about taking the boots onboard because the liners have been reeking after some recent hard hot days. I hit them with a lot of Odor Eaters spray but I might have to dump the rest of the can into them just to feel less at risk of becoming That Guy on the plane.

pinion

Boots can be your personal item. Or part of your carry-on. But if you want them as part of the checked luggage that's fine too. You're choice. Not sure where you are flying out of but I've done the 5p-ish Delta departure to SLC from BOS for 20 years, 16 of those was checking boots and I never had an issue with lost luggage (knock on wood). So odds are you are safe. I'm not in the "anything less than 100% success rate for my boots being there when we land is acceptable" camp, but have started carrying on boots in the past 4 years anyway to try and simplify things for me and the fam. Enough smells and air circulation in the cabin that would mask the boots I would think. Only smell the plane doesn't mask is apparently Cool Ranch Doritos and I fucking hate when people eat that shit all flight next to me :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Edd

So here I am, about to take my first pandemic era flight (Delta) to SLC tomorrow. I've got a Thule Roundtrip double ski roller bag (fits my skis and my friend's skis, as well as some clothes/some gear for padding) plus a Thule Roundtrip boot bag (containing my boots, helmet) which can strap right on to the roller - as I understand it, this arrangement will count as 1 checked bag?

I know the pro move is to carry your boots on board but I'm not sure my boots would fit in any of the small luggage-type bags or backpacks I've got - perhaps they would, but they won't leave much room for anything else in the backpack. I also don't want to carry the boots alone and not have any other carry-on. It's a direct EWR-SLC flight, so I should be just fine...right?
Quick math tells me I’ve flown west for skiing 10 times. I’ve checked my boots every time and less than half were direct. Never lost them. I can’t say that’s best practice but the odds of losing the boots on a direct US flight seem low.

crank

But if I take my boots onboard loose, in-hand as carry-on then I can't take an actual carry-on bag, can I? Or is that my "personal item"? Because, well, boots are very personal after all :)

I'm also tetchy about taking the boots onboard because the liners have been reeking after some recent hard hot days. I hit them with a lot of Odor Eaters spray but I might have to dump the rest of the can into them just to feel less at risk of becoming That Guy on the plane.

I usually bring my boots and helmet and mittens etc. in a regular roll on bag. That way I don't have to carry my heavy, bulky transpak. If I'm going somewhere where I will want my boot bag I pack it empty and flat in my suitcase. I also bring my regular backpack. So really you are allowed to carry on 2 bags.

My wife carries her transpak on flights to and checks it for ride home.

We are flying to Italy's Dolomites this Friday and we are both packing and checking boots in our big suitcases. Planning to take it easy and just cruise groomers so if we had to rent boots or even skip skiing for a day no big deal. Renting skis too. Why? Tired of the hassle of carting so much crap around on ski vacations. Traveling farther and want to carry less.

BTW, for smelly boots:
https://lumioutdoors.com/products/natural-shoe-deodorizer-spray

Works amazingly well.

Highly recommend getting a steak at the Chop House in the New Sheridan Hotel. Then roam around upstairs and check out all the local historical photos on the walls.

Thai restaurant, Siam, very popular and good. Hit Alreds for a drink and app. apres ski. Not for dinner.

We love Bon Vivant and Alpino Vino for a relaxed on mountain lunch. Giuseppe's at 11,846' I think, is more casual and really good too.

There's at least 4 dispensaries in town.
Thanks Crank, and Kendo earlier. Grateful for the specifics!

Question- I am already on the waiting list for Allreds for dinner (it was fully booked 2 weeks in advance!). The host suggested their bar & apps if I do not get in for dinner. Why don't you recommend it for dinner?

crank

Thanks Crank, and Kendo earlier. Grateful for the specifics!

Question- I am already on the waiting list for Allreds for dinner (it was fully booked 2 weeks in advance!). The host suggested their bar & apps if I do not get in for dinner. Why don't you recommend it for dinner?
2 reasons. 1, I think the view of town, which is what the view is of, is a lot better when you can see it, not at night. And 2, I had a really crappy dinner there. Some kind of meat that was horribly over salted. I really should have sent it back. I am sure it is usually good food-wise. But there are better places and you are really paying for the view.

Take my advice and get reservations at the New Sheridan instead.

Edit: I just remembered that the waitress never came to check and see if everything was OK . If she had I would have sent my meal back. So add crappy service to the Allreds list.

Last edited:

kendo

Agreed. We enjoyed apps, drinks and the late day view at Allreds bar.

Our favs for dinner are all in Town: Cosmopolitan, The National, Brown Dog Pizza, 221 South Oak and the New Sheridan.

Hawk

Yes, all of this.
I agree with Crank on Allreds. My dinner there was shitty also. We also had a bad meal at the French Resturaunt Le Marmotte. New Sheridan is great. Only had drinks at Cosmo but it was very cool. If you like Mexican, Esperanzas and and Cochina de Luz are good.
Yup there are 4 really good dispenseries there. I like Dalilah.
I flew United on 2 trips. Be forwarned! All 4 flights were delayed and not because of weather. I nearly miss a conection on my way out but did an OJ throught the airport and just made it because the the outgoing was delayed also. On the way back the first flight was delayed and we missed the connection and was stranded in Denver overnight. Covid has really affected thier performance as they are understaffed. Hopefully your layovers are long.
Always carry your boots onto the plane no mater what!
Mountain and Town Vibe are the best. People are really cool and layed back. If you have a day off go up the canyon to the mine and wak around. The scenery is cool.
When we were there, the town set off some charges up the canyon because of high avalanch danger. Watching the avi come down the chutes and the huge snow cloud was someting I will never forget. Really cool experience. People were in the streets cheering the event.

Hawk

Quick math tells me I’ve flown west for skiing 10 times. I’ve checked my boots every time and less than half were direct. Never lost them. I can’t say that’s best practice but the odds of losing the boots on a direct US flight seem low.
Ed, I have traveled out West and to Europe probably 40 times. in my first 6 to 7 trips I checked my boots. twice the luggage did not make the connetion and I was without my boots for the first ski day. Once I rented and once I skipped a day. After that I put them in a small carry on hard case. Really not that hard to do and I have my boots. I am not willing to go skiing and take the chance I might not see them for an extended period of time like my wife a few years back. It happens.

Edd

Ed, I have traveled out West and to Europe probably 40 times. in my first 6 to 7 trips I checked my boots. twice the luggage did not make the connetion and I was without my boots for the first ski day. Once I rented and once I skipped a day. After that I put them in a small carry on hard case. Really not that hard to do and I have my boots. I am not willing to go skiing and take the chance I might not see them for an extended period of time like my wife a few years back. It happens.
Didn’t say it doesn’t happen and we’re not in disagreement.

Yes, all of this.
I agree with Crank on Allreds. My dinner there was shitty also. We also had a bad meal at the French Resturaunt Le Marmotte. New Sheridan is great. Only had drinks at Cosmo but it was very cool. If you like Mexican, Esperanzas and and Cochina de Luz are good.
Yup there are 4 really good dispenseries there. I like Dalilah.
I flew United on 2 trips. Be forwarned! All 4 flights were delayed and not because of weather. I nearly miss a conection on my way out but did an OJ throught the airport and just made it because the the outgoing was delayed also. On the way back the first flight was delayed and we missed the connection and was stranded in Denver overnight. Covid has really affected thier performance as they are understaffed. Hopefully your layovers are long.
Always carry your boots onto the plane no mater what!
Mountain and Town Vibe are the best. People are really cool and layed back. If you have a day off go up the canyon to the mine and wak around. The scenery is cool.
When we were there, the town set off some charges up the canyon because of high avalanch danger. Watching the avi come down the chutes and the huge snow cloud was someting I will never forget. Really cool experience. People were in the streets cheering the event.
Thanks for the info! No layovers as the flight is non-stop -- as long as it does not get canceled and we suddenly have to scramble.

Great Bear

Heading to Telluride, Colorado next week on United Airlines and looking for some packing advice. How do you guys pack the skis and boots? A definite rule is the 2 bags cannot weigh more than 50 lbs. combined. But another line in United's rules concerns me:

"Ski and boot bags that don’t contain ski-related items will be subject to any applicable service charges for oversized and overweight checked bags."

What constitutes ski-related? In the past I would use ski pants and clothing to wrap around and protect the skis, while my Transpack boot bags also hold my helmet, goggles, light tuning equipment, etc. Are they going to say that my sweatshirt or socks are not ski-related (or ski-boot-related)?

Thanks for your thoughts!

My boot bag is an LL Bean style which has a zipper compartment on each side (one for each boot) and then a larger center compartment where i put my helmet, gloves, other ski clothes - including a change of street clothes etc.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/123...feat=513518-GN3&csp=a&attrValue_0=Black&pos=4

I've only done a couple of trips since covid but never had anyone question it. Not sure technically what their rules are but I can't imagine them opening up your bag and rooting through it if the combined weight of your boot bag and ski bag is under the 50 lbs limit.