• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Park City Mountain Resort 02/22/11

hammer

Date(s) Skied: Tuesday 2/22/11

Resort or Ski Area: Park City Mountain Resort, UT

Conditions: Partly cloudy, packed and tracked powder, just a little busy

Trip Report:

This second day at PCMR was much better than Saturday...although there wasn't any fresh powder the conditions were still great. First two runs were down a nicely groomed "signature" black trail named Silver King which had good consistent pitch. We then moved over to the King Con zone where we hit a few groomed blues, and we then went over to the Silverlode area for a few runs. After lunch we went back to the Silverlode area and skied more of the blues. We then went through a short "adventure alley" trail called Detonator which winds and banks through the woods...lots of fun and easy enough for all to try. Last run of the day for me included a part of a black trail called Widowmaker which had nice soft moguls.

Lift lines built up around the King Con and Silverlode lifts in the morning but everything cleared out in the afternoon. The groomed trails skied as well in the afternoon as they did in the morning...something I seldom see back home.

The place really grew on me after the second day...there was a ton of terrain that I didn't get to (a lot that is beyond my skill level) and when it isn't max'ed out you don't feel crowded in at all.

Last edited:

hammer

Overall, stolen ski incident aside, how did you and your family like PC and the trip overall?
The skiing was fantastic...the powder took some getting used to on the first day but so much fun. It was great for the DW who went down trails that were much steeper than what she has tried at home...the snow is much more forgiving. I normally stay away from bumped up runs, but the powder bumps there were enjoyable to ski.

I didn't like the crowds on the weekend but that's what you get when there is fresh powder over a holiday.

Only complaint about PCMR facilities was that they could have used a lot more space near the lockers to boot up.

I was pleasantly surprised by DV...I actually thought that there was a nice mix of trails and plenty of challenging stuff that was at and beyond my abilities. The lodge was the nicest one I've been in and the turkey chili was also quite good.

PC is a nice ski town...plenty of places to eat, the bus service was a good way to get to the ski areas, and the main street area was a nice diversion at the end of the day. Our condo was near the Racquet Club which is away from the downtown area but right near a few bus stops...nice and quiet.

I'm not sure that I'll be going back soon (found out that the rest of the family didn't appreciate a ski vacation as much) but I'd recommend it without question. I would not recommend the place where I rented the skis, however...not because I think they were responsible for the theft in any way, but because they could and should have handled the situation better.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
sorry to hear about the skis, bummer.

Regarding ski vacation & family. We've resolved that in my house. I go on "big boys trips." Everyone is happy and it costs a helluva lot less!