• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pat's Peak - 1/20 & 1/21

Paul

Date(s) Skied: Saturday, 1/20 - 11:00 am - 3:00 pm Sunday, 1/21 - 10:00am - 2:00 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Pat's Peak - Henniker, NH

Conditions: Manmade FGR, about 1 - 1 1/2" of fresh on Sat. Groomed PP and FGR on Sun. Dust on Crust on ungroomed areas.

Trip Report Made the drive-up on Friday night and stayed in a B&B in nearby Bradford, NH. It was the stellar breakfasts that kept us from even getting anywhere near first-chair. It was all good though, its nice to have the 6 yr. old with a full bellly. :grin: We started the day on Puff /Whisper to get the wife and daughter warmed-up. they're both still in the novice category, and like to take it easy first thing. The Valley side was in good shape, and with the snow falling (albeit slightly) made the surface really nice. We didn't find any scratchy areas at all. After a quick lunch/warm-up/pee break, we headed to the summit. Looking down on Hurricane from the triple, I immediately decided to delay any runs down Hurricane. It was really bumped-up from the top to the middle, with a well groomed run-out, but you could almost see your reflection in the backside of each mogul. It became obvious why as at least 75% of people heading down were in some sort of slide/scrape, regardless of what was on their feet.
Since I was with the fam, we spent most of our time on Breeze, Zephyr, Blast, Squall Line, part of Duster, and Lower Tornado. All trails were holding-up well, even into the afternoon. There were some scratchy/hard spots at the start of Breeze, but were all edgeable. Between Sat. and Sun I was able to get a few runs in down Tornado and Cyclone as well. Tornado was almost pristine most of Sunday and I never saw anyone else on it (MT. Dew Vert Challenge, maybe that's why) Really no slick spots at all, Cyclone was in good shape also, but it was a little more travelled.
The wind was pretty strong Sat, but subsided on Sun, despite that, it was pretty cold, needed multiple Lodge-breaks for the wee one.
Have to give Pat's a lot of credit, their staff is very friendly and helpful, they had all of their trails open (even went and played on the Dust on Crust in the Puff Glade) and despite having hoards of people there for the Vert Challenge, there really was never more than a 5 min. wait for a chair. Also, the 3 of us took group lessons which were almost more like privates. There was noticable improvement after that. They really do a nice job there.

Paul

Just saw this. Gald you had fun. This is a great place. Looks like hurricane got better as of Monday night. Twister was shhweeet also.

Yeah, it was looking pretty ugly over the weekend. I would've been surprised if they hadn't blow snow on it after Sunday. Watched one kid from up on the lift slide top to almost bottom splayed out on his stomach in a spread-eagle. Maybe "slide" isn't the best word as he took air a few times off the bumps. It looked like that stock footage Warren Miller uses of the woman sliding down the mogul field.

Didn't make it to Twister, wanted to, pretty bad, but I was staying close to the fam the whole time, most runs were with them on Breeze, Zephyr, Duster etc... But I was able to peel off a few times for Tornado and Cyclone, and meet them at Lower Tornado.

It really is a fun "little" mountain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You summed it up well, Paul. They run a tight ship and it is great for customer service.