• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico 2/28/08

danny p

Date(s) Skied: 2/28/08

Resort or Ski Area: Pico

Conditions: 13"-15" Powder

Trip Report: it was a good day. :grin:

pike
pike208a.jpg

49er
49er08.jpg

birch woods
birchwoods208.jpg

birch woods
birchwoods208b.jpg

birch woods
birchwoods208c.jpg

nice view
view208.jpg

more pictures to follow....

danny p

summit glades
sg208.jpg

summit glades
sg208b.jpg

summit glades
sg208f.jpg

birch glades
birchglades208.jpg

summit trees
summittrees208.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
SICK!!!!! Summit Glades is an AWESOME run....as are Birch Glades. You didn't hike the Outpost area?

danny p

SICK!!!!! Summit Glades is an AWESOME run....as are Birch Glades. You didn't hike the Outpost area?

I had full intentions of hiking over there, but honestly, the lift served terrain was sick, and I must have found 4 or 5 new tree runs that kept me satisfied the whole day. Every run had some sections of untracked the whole day, right up to last run.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably a smart move hitting there for the day instead of K

less traffic = more fresh snow

danny p

Probably a smart move hitting there for the day instead of K

less traffic = more fresh snow

yesterday was one of the busiest days ever for Pico. Because they are closed tuesday and wednesdays, everyone showed up knowing that the mountain had a foot of untracked goodness. Luckily, people tracked out the ususal suspect trails and then left, leaving all the lesser known goodies for people like me who stayed. But there was a HUGE liftline in the morning.

thetrailboss

Staff member
yesterday was one of the busiest days ever for Pico. Because they are closed tuesday and wednesdays, everyone showed up knowing that the mountain had a foot of untracked goodness. Luckily, people tracked out the ususal suspect trails and then left, leaving all the lesser known goodies for people like me who stayed. But there was a HUGE liftline in the morning.

You got it. The place was shuttered midweek and skiers and riders showed up I imagine...

And what is a long line at Pico? Like 2 minutes? :wink: Kind of like Burke....

thetrailboss

Staff member
And yes, there are TONS of places to ski at Pico....you just have to look for them. Outpost will be sick this weekend I imagine.

danny p

And yes, there are TONS of places to ski at Pico....you just have to look for them. Outpost will be sick this weekend I imagine.

don't think so, a couple kzoners reported slaying it all day long yesterday, but there is a refresh on the way, so all the runs might be sick by saturday.... As far as places to ski at Pico, I almost rode the interconnect yesterday, really tempted knowing that I could just catch the shuttle back from ram's head, but decided doing that solo would be foolish. Hopefully can find some people that want to hit it up after the next big storm.

reefer

NICE! There's a place I haven't hit in years. I did not even realize it was closed Tues/Weds. That's real good to know. I can imagine all the powder hounds there Thursday!

thetrailboss

Staff member
don't think so, a couple kzoners reported slaying it all day long yesterday, but there is a refresh on the way, so all the runs might be sick by saturday.... As far as places to ski at Pico, I almost rode the interconnect yesterday, really tempted knowing that I could just catch the shuttle back from ram's head, but decided doing that solo would be foolish. Hopefully can find some people that want to hit it up after the next big storm.

I've heard that the runout at the bottom and the hike out, as well as the fact that it is a flat descent don't make it worthwhile....but then again, I have only looked at it in person, hiked down it a bit, looked at it on Google, and yakked about it on KZone with the others...it MAY be worth the run.

SKIQUATTRO

Gotta love PICO....great spot...dont know the trail, but its all the way to the left when looking at the mtn....off the smaller/racer area lift...nice steep sections, always find untracked over there....