• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plan of attack for Okemo?

ADKme

My wife let me powder giggle my way through glades all last week, so now I have the pleasure of accompanying her on cruisers all day at Okemo this Saturday :-?. Where should we head to try to avoid the biggest crowds? We went once last year and it seemed like the South Face and Jackson Gore weren't as crowded as the base of the Northstar Express, which was a mess. What's a good plan for morning/afternoon?

herlich

Plan of attack

My wife let me powder giggle my way through glades all last week, so now I have the pleasure of accompanying her on cruisers all day at Okemo this Saturday :-?. Where should we head to try to avoid the biggest crowds? We went once last year and it seemed like the South Face and Jackson Gore weren't as crowded as the base of the Northstar Express, which was a mess. What's a good plan for morning/afternoon?

I just spent NYE weekend at Okemo and based on that I would say to defiantly avoid the Northstar express lift unless you plan on using the singles line.

At Jackson Gore Vortex/Quantum Leap and Blue Moon/Lower Limelight were very nice this weekend .

Avoid Tucker Out unless there is some major snow between now at then, it was posted as thin cover which apparently means lots of rocks on that trail.

I also skied some trails that were posted as thin cover on my way down to the Sachem chair which was very nice just some grass poking through (can't remember the trail name).

South Face was nice and empty as well Stump Jumper was in very good shape if you looking for cruisers. Rim Rock was Icy in a few places but pretty good otherwise. Dream Weaver and Off the Rim were pretty heavily moguled when I was there late on Monday, not sure if they groom those trails at all.

You could also use the Green Ridge Triple chair to get tot the peak but it is SLOW but there were zero lines when I was there.

Lower Fall Line chair was also empty but I don't remember what the trails were like off of it.

Have Fun!

gmcunni

herlich's advice is good. i'd embrace the singles line of Northstar, it gets long but moves well (assuming your wife is OK with the singles line option)

parking is getting to be a hassle. expect to park in a lot then take a bus to the base lodge or pay for up front rock star parking. once on the snow get away from the base lodges and don't go back until end of day.

i like south face and solitude pods and if the snow is good there could be some fun stuff for you to dip into on South Face and still (mostly) ski with wife.

Last edited:

Morewood

Also there are some decent glades shot some on the trail map and some that are not...which are fun and you'll be able to start on the crusier with your wife and meet up with her at the bottom...so you can get the best of both world. I'd also suggest using the Green Ridge Triple to the summit...never a line and it access some great cruisers and some fun glades. If you see a guy with blue/black and green plaid ski pants, green Dalbello KR boots, and Scott Punisher skis...say hello and I'll show you some of the off the map wood shots.

twinplanx

I will second the don't return to the base lodges notion. Actually I can't stress that enough. If you must stop for lunch try the Summit or Sugar lodges. Actually your best bet for lunch, if you can avoid peak times is the Solitude day lodge. The skiing below the day lodge is nothing special and the lift out is there always seems painfully slow. If you study a trail map you will see how you will need to take 2 chairlifts to reach the Summit from the main & Jackson Gore base areas. I like to get to the South Face early in the day and work my over to the Gore. The Narrows to Whistler is my absolute favorite route to Solitude. In recent years they have set up a skier-cross type park around that area. Sachem and the green trail from the JG summit are fun.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Park and start at Jackson Gore. Far less of a shit show IMO than the main base area. Not ideal, still requires a shuttle bus, but it doesn't some to be as crazy to me as the main base area as it's the area in and around the lodge is more spread out.

MadMadWorld

Groomers at Okemo? What kind of wife is that?? Shame on her!

gmcunni

Park and start at Jackson Gore. Far less of a shit show IMO than the main base area. Not ideal, still requires a shuttle bus, but it doesn't some to be as crazy to me as the main base area as it's the area in and around the lodge is more spread out.

this used to be my plan, you are right, less crazy over there and a much nicer base area. but i gave it up and went back to main lodge. reason was i found i didn't really enjoy the JG pod of trails (tho in fairness there is some new stuff i haven't skied) and all i want to do is get to the top of the hill. from JG base you take a lift to take another lift to then ski down mostly flat stuff to get to a lift to go to the top.

spiderpig

Are you going to be out there tomorrow? I've been skiing at Okemo for so long and have decided to finally make an effort to explore some of these unmarked glades that I keep hearing about. I'll be looking for you.

To OP, all good advice. I hope it was easy going out there today. No Northstar after 9:00 on Saturdays until about 2:30-3:00.