• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill 01-21-12

selski

Date(s) Skied: 01/21/12

Resort or Ski Area: Plattekill

Conditions: Powder

Trip Report:

Another great day at Plattekill. A few inches goes a long way. Not as great as last weekend when a little hiking produced big results. But we had soft snow most of the day. Once again Plattekill turned a blind eye to the closed trails and everyone was on them. By the end of the day they just took the ropes down. Amazing how little snow is required when you do the off season work on the hill. Really smart of them to not hassle everyone over the closed terrain. It sets them apart from the local competition.
As usual I got treated to one of my favorite sites. A parade of cars driving west on 28 and every one of them turning left into Belleayre leaving Plattekill to the lucky few. I know it is not ideal for Plattekill revenue but it's good for us.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
A great day at Platty indeed! Pow pow everywhere! They were blowing all day on blockbuster top to bottom:

6739767811_9b3858a89c_z.jpg

Where else but platty can youi literally be the first person down a trail making fresh tracks at 12:15?: (soory for the poor pic quality)

6739772105_0eb09f6067_z.jpg

Plus my oldest had a great time racIng in the Plattekill Kids' Cup race. (Took 2nd in her age!).

Can't wait to get back next week. Keeping fingers crossed with the weather!

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Never Assume...

Really smart of them to not hassle everyone over the closed terrain. It sets them apart from the local competition.

Um, no. And I can't say anything more....

As usual I got treated to one of my favorite sites. A parade of cars driving west on 28 and every one of them turning left into Belleayre leaving Plattekill to the lucky few. I know it is not ideal for Plattekill revenue but it's good for us.

The ski industry is really hurting, even after the snow in the lowlands. Never waited in a line yesterday at Belle; it was ski-onto the lifts all day (maybe not at Superchief; just avoid that midday). But don't tell anybody, because we might have to start waiting....

abc

I suspect Sunday will be a lot busier. Saturday it was snowing making roads difficult. The mass will only invated Sunday.

2sons

Plattekill was awesome today. Blockbuster was the ROTD with huge snowmaking whales on the right and a bump line forming on the left. The natural trails were fun too (although my 7 year old didn't like 'em) - a mixed bag of hardpack, chow on the sides with grass and rocks in the mix.
The parking lot was full when we left- way to go Plattekill!

ScottySkis

Platty was awesome i went yesterday. Blockbuster was sweet but so was the rest of the hill, great first day, im glad to see some people on the lifts

Jersey Skier

Will it be worth the drive with $15 lift tickets this Wednesday? Rain on the webcam. Not sure if there will be enough of a base compared to Hunter.

ScottySkis

Will it be worth the drive with $15 lift tickets this Wednesday? Rain on the webcam. Not sure if there will be enough of a base compared to Hunter.
Platty base wasn't a lot so i wait to they got like at least six inches of snow after the rain, canceled my trip to Gore today because of r word,

Bene288

Sounds like a great time, one day I'll drive the extra miles past Belleayre and hit Plattekilll