• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill New Website

dmc

I think a guy tried that a few years ago after being inspired by the Olympic sport skeleton. He mounted a pair of old K2s to the bottom of a flexible flyer. I seem to remember it not ending well.

I can imagine...

I've seen some horrible things involving sleds at Tuckerman Ravine.. No Control = trouble...

BenedictGomez

Platty has a nice pitch actually.. You could try sledding those runs... But you kill yourself
.. :)

As Rodney Dangerfield would say, Plattekill "gets no respect".

I tend to be terrible at comparing items, but I would have to think the steepness of Freefall and Blockbuster would compare favorably to the steepest trails at virtually any eastern mountain.

dmc

I can measure it when I'm there this winter with my slopemeter..

ScottySkis

I tend to be terrible at comparing items, but I would have to think the steepness of Freefall and Blockbuster would compare favorably to the steepest trails at virtually any eastern mountain.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

K 27 I think is steeper, but those 2 trails at platty are nice steep trails.

ScottySkis

Are those sledding hills?

30350_10151354457282363_1162057119_n.jpg
Yes not steep at all you should never go to Platty.:snow:

MarkC

That is such a bad ass picture. I would not want to have pissed off the winch cat operator that day.

ScottySkis

Platty making snow, maybe just not many trails for this weekend but if storm hits Monday the whole hill could open quickly.
252322_10151364831312363_1106877998_n.jpg
:smile:

Scruffy

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

K 27 I think is steeper, but those 2 trails at platty are nice steep trails.

Yes, but lower K27 is just a handful of turns. What separates the platty trails is a 1000' of consistent steep.

Scotty, your new Avatar is scary :-o

dmc

Yes, but lower K27 is just a handful of turns. What separates the platty trails is a 1000' of consistent steep.

OK then... the west side of Hunter is as steep as Platty..

MadMadWorld

I will begin with....I have never skied there so I am just basing this off of what I see. Both trails look steep but damn they are wide. But in terms of just slope, I think it compares well to a lot of the steepest trails in the east.

x10003q

Blockbuster is about 300 vertical feet below the top of the double chair. It is about 600 vertical of skiing. It skis somewhat like Westway at Hunter West, only shorter and less wide. It has the steepest skiing for the longest distance at Platty. The next steepest in order off the double are Freefall, Plunge, and Northface. All are clearly expert skiing, although on all 3 there is about 500 vertical of black at the top that blends into 500 vert of blue. Most strong intermediates can handle these 3 trails. Northface could be rated blue as it is clearly the easiest of these 4 trails.

IMO Hunter West still provides a longer and steeper group of trails. I think the steep sections on Claire's and Westway are steeper than anything at Platty. The bummer is that Westway needs a lot of natural for it to open. I hope Hunter figures a way to open Westway more often.

K27 (the steep part is a short 400 ft in length) is the steepest trail in the Catskills and one of the steepest in the East especially skiers right.

ScottySkis

I like k 27 after a nice storm. Scary picture of Stanley cup in a NY Rangers hands?

dmc

I like K27 on the day it opens...
YOu can huck it and land half way down..... It's crazy fun!!!

ScottySkis

Blockbuster is about 300 vertical feet below the top of the double chair. It is about 600 vertical of skiing. It skis somewhat like Westway at Hunter West, only shorter and less wide. It has the steepest skiing for the longest distance at Platty. The next steepest in order off the double are Freefall, Plunge, and Northface. All are clearly expert skiing, although on all 3 there is about 500 vertical of black at the top that blends into 500 vert of blue. Most strong intermediates can handle these 3 trails. Northface could be rated blue as it is clearly the easiest of these 4 trails.

IMO Hunter West still provides a longer and steeper group of trails. I think the steep sections on Claire's and Westway are steeper than anything at Platty. The bummer is that Westway needs a lot of natural for it to open. I hope Hunter figures a way to open Westway more often.

K27 (the steep part is a short 400 ft in length) is the steepest trail in the Catskills and one of the steepest in the East especially skiers right.

Hunter west is over all steeper and has more moguls then Platty, but their things I live better about both hills.:)

BenedictGomez

Platty making snow, maybe just not many trails for this weekend but if storm hits Monday the whole hill could open quickly.

If everything shapes up right (which is a massive "if"), there are projections where Plattekill is in a small 24"+ zone as of yesterday's ensemble run. That would do the trick.

But in terms of just slope, I think it compares well to a lot of the steepest trails in the east.

That picture was of Blockbuster, and while I dont know, I think Freefall may even be steeper. Blockbuster isnt the hardest trail, as you mentioned due to how wide it is, but I think it compares favorably to some of the "steepest" trails of the east. IMO, Freefall would certainly make the list.

I wish there was a definitive chart of every ski trail etc... It's amazing how much is written about every blade of grass comparing golf courses, but yet for skiing, even with important subjects we dont seem to have much reference.

Blockbuster is about 300 vertical feet below the top of the double chair. It is about 600 vertical of skiing. It skis somewhat like Westway at Hunter West, only shorter and less wide. It has the steepest skiing for the longest distance at Platty. The next steepest in order off the double are Freefall, Plunge, and Northface. All are clearly expert skiing, although on all 3 there is about 500 vertical of black at the top that blends into 500 vert of blue.

Again, no expert on steepness here, but I have to disagree with a few points.

First, I'm not convinced Blockbuster is steeper than Freefall, despite Blockbusters signature trail recognition, but I will defer to others' opinions as I may be wrong.

I also think you're short-changing Blockbuster's vertical a touch with 600 feet. Using a combination of Google Satellite + Google terrain maps, I get approximately 720 feet. Lastly, even the bottom of Blockbuster is steeper than the vast majority of intermediate terrain I've encountered at most ski areas in the east, and with the size of the moguls they allow to form that bottom section is at least a legitimate single diamond.

Also, while making that calculation I found out that MIGHTY PLATTEKILL has been Google Street Mapped! LOL

Last edited:

Scruffy

If everything shapes up right (which is a massive "if"), there are projections where Plattekill is in a small 24"+ zone as of yesterday's ensemble run. That would do the trick.

That picture was of Blockbuster, and while I dont know, I think Freefall may even be steeper. Blockbuster isnt the hardest trail, as you mentioned due to how wide it is, but I think it compares favorably to some of the "steepest" trails of the east. IMO, Freefall would certainly make the list.

I wish there was a definitive chart of every ski trail etc... It's amazing how much is written about every blade of grass comparing golf courses, but yet for skiing, even with important subjects we dont seem to have much reference.

Again, no expert on steepness here, but I have to disagree with a few points.

First, I'm not convinced Blockbuster is steeper than Freefall, despite Blockbusters signature trail recognition, but I will defer to others' opinions as I may be wrong.

I also think you're short-changing Blockbuster's vertical a touch with 600 feet. Using a combination of Google Satellite + Google terrain maps, I get approximately 720 feet. Lastly, even the bottom of Blockbuster is steeper than the vast majority of intermediate terrain I've encountered at most ski areas in the east, and with the size of the moguls they allow to form that bottom section is at least a legitimate single diamond.

Also, while making that calculation I found out that MIGHTY PLATTEKILL has been Google Street Mapped! LOL

I think your'e right Bene.