• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powdr buys Eldora

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know by and large Western areas are massive compared to the east, but don't most count acreage boundary to boundary?

As an example. Stowe reports only 485 acres. I've only visited Eldora in the summer 23 years ago. It certainly didn't seem almost 50% again larger than Stowe IIRC

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

In all reality unless theres a good upslope eldora kinda sucks. If i was a weekend skier and hungover i could see this place being a clear choice but its pretty icy, terrain mostly mediocre and its a special kind of windy most of the time.

Skiing east of the divide in colorado just isnt ideal.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

dlague

In all reality unless theres a good upslope eldora kinda sucks. If i was a weekend skier and hungover i could see this place being a clear choice but its pretty icy, terrain mostly mediocre and its a special kind of windy most of the time.

I get that because it is kind of in the foothills between the Divide and front range. I bet they get refreezing conditions like back east.

dlague

I know by and large Western areas are massive compared to the east, but don't most count acreage boundary to boundary?

As an example. Stowe reports only 485 acres. I've only visited Eldora in the summer 23 years ago. It certainly didn't seem almost 50% again larger than Stowe IIRC

I also think it is because the trails are cut much wider. Stowe's trails are much narrower in most cases and they cut more trails. In addition Stowe has more vert than Eldora.

skiNEwhere

+1. But if the word "upslope" is even hinted at (especially in a poor ski season), everyone and their mother front the front range heads up there and parking and lines are a shit show.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool little ski area but it's farther away than a lot of other, larger ski areas. Usually the Boulder crowd is who you find up there

4aprice

The first place I ever skied is testament to that, Hidden Valley at Estes Park. Eldora the exception, (Loveland,s on the divide it doesn't count) several areas failed east of the divide. Evergreen and Geneva had areas, and I can still make out the rements of the old Arapahoe East on I-70 (near the Sleeper House), Cuchara down south. The CU factor definitely helps Eldora as well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ