• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

POWDR selling Killington

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why not? If I were a billionaire, I'd definitely buy a small ski resort like a Plattekill or a Sundance, and keep it somewhat affordable, small, Mom & Poppy and old-school. Frankly, I'm surprised this hasnt happened more often.

Sometimes I think about that never gonna happen scenario in life and buying Wildcat. Then I remember how I had to work 70-80 hours a week as a middle manager at a ski area and what a bitch it was to staff them. I then say, naw, multiple passes, slope side real estate at say Jay, Saddleback and the Yellowstone Club sounds pretty good.

Then there's just the billionaire mentality and desire to make ever greater amounts of money. I think about the dude Bacon who bought Taos. He's seemingly slowly moving away from the old school charm it's known for. The excuse always being sustainability of the business.

Maybe these new Killington pros bring back the early season twofer though. That would be sweet

BenedictGomez

Maybe my views are outdated, but I always thought K was like hunter in VT. In the sense that the skiers are like your NYC firefighter who lives in Yonkers and bought a mountain green condo in the 2000’s. Or like teachers from Long Island or some shit.

No, that's pretty accurate. Maybe you left out the 20-somethings piling into an AirBnb, getting drunk at the local pubs and finally making it to the mountain at noon.

jimmywilson69

Doubtful they go away from Ikon ever. Its even more guaranteed money than season passes, which already aren't cheap there comparably. Plus if they want to fill this alleged village, you need people.

I've been going there most of my adult life and never really had to deal with things/people that I've seen at either Hunter or Mt Snow. Its a big place stay away from the crowded areas when its crowded. And now that I'm older and have more than sufficient PTO to burn, ski there during the week :) !

Zand

Yeah I've never skied Hunter but based on what I've heard it sounds much more like a Mt Snow crowd. I feel like the four big southern VT resorts each kind of have a stereotype...

Mt Snow: Jersey Shore/Long Island tough guy type crowd that likes to get in fights and engage in jackassery more than other people would, and also likes to keep the booze flowing.

Stratton: NYC business people / stock traders etc. People on the phone doing business deals on the lifts and talking about how their kids private schools are better than the other kids private schools.

Okemo: General northeast soccer mom/dentist type crowd (no offense Dr Jeff but Okemo is much more of a dentist mountain 😆) that definitely has a money feel to it but much more laid back/friendlier vibe than Mt Snow, and a little less snooty than Stratton.

Killington really mixes people together where you get some of the Jersey/Long Island crowd, more of a Boston draw than the others, and a much more noticable diehard population than the others. Also feels like it pulls more from like the Philly area/mid Atlantic than the others do. Also a booze-infused crowd although generally a lot more harmonious than Mt Snow. Also Killington is the first mountain going north that actually gets decent natural snow so I'm sure that helps in the harmonious department.

I also did this thing over the summer where I compared southern VT ski areas to Jersey beach towns...Mt Snow is absolutely Seaside. Stratton isn't Jersey at all, way more of a Hamptons type. Okemo is Ocean City. Killington is Wildwood. Hunter can be Atlantic City 😂

Last edited:

Cobbold

Surprised that alterra did not purchase killington, looks like powdr corp is beginning to sell off ski resorts, always thought at some point they and boyne resorts would merge.

NYDB

Yeah I've never skied Hunter but based on what I've heard it sounds much more like a Mt Snow crowd. I feel like the four big southern VT resorts each kind of have a stereotype...

Mt Snow: Jersey Shore/Long Island tough guy type crowd that likes to get in fights and engage in jackassery more than other people would, and also likes to keep the booze flowing.

Stratton: NYC business people / stock traders etc. People on the phone doing business deals on the lifts and talking about how their kids private schools are better than the other kids private schools.

Okemo: General northeast soccer mom/dentist type crowd (no offense Dr Jeff but Okemo is much more of a dentist mountain 😆) that definitely has a money feel to it but much more laid back/friendlier vibe than Mt Snow, and a little less snooty than Stratton.

Killington really mixes people together where you get some of the Jersey/Long Island crowd, more of a Boston draw than the others, and a much more noticable diehard population than the others. Also feels like it pulls more from like the Philly area/mid Atlantic than the others do. Also a booze-infused crowd although generally a lot more harmonious than Mt Snow. Also Killington is the first mountain going north that actually gets decent natural snow so I'm sure that helps in the harmonious department.
Good summary.

K definitely has more diehards for sure.

I always felt that the summit of K was the southernmost place in VT where you felt like you were really in an ‘alpine environment’ or at the top of an actual mountain, not a big hill.

jimmywilson69

@Zand good list including the beach comparisons :lol: !

For years I've driven right past most of those places south of Okemo. I did get an Ikon this year and hope to try out stratton. I'd like to hit up Hunter when there is actual snow, it was terrible in March last year. both of those places would be weekday stops for sure.

AdironRider

Why not? If I were a billionaire, I'd definitely buy a small ski resort like a Plattekill or a Sundance, and keep it somewhat affordable, small, Mom & Poppy and old-school. Frankly, I'm surprised this hasnt happened more often.

I don't think it is a bad thing, just find it sort of interesting considering the trajectory of the industry over the past 20 years was the exact opposite. Sort of a pendulum swing in terms of motivated parties currently.

I am primarily referencing major resorts, Plattekill etc probably are a different thing in terms of money needed, motivations, etc.

jaytrem

I also did this thing over the summer where I compared southern VT ski areas to Jersey beach towns...Mt Snow is absolutely Seaside. Stratton isn't Jersey at all, way more of a Hamptons type. Okemo is Ocean City. Killington is Wildwood. Hunter can be Atlantic City 😂
Magic can be Asbury Park. Back from the dead a couple times.

jaytrem

That is probably better than what I would've said for Magic (Keansburg)
Ouch! Since the got Black running I'll stick with Asbury. For Keansburg I'd have to leave VT and go with one of the Southern ski areas. "You want me to ride that lift? Uhhhh, okay."

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty good summary Zand

I would add that Killington also attracts a bit of people with the lifted Pickup Truck with hitch testicles vibe. Not necessarily literal owners of those Floridaesque rigs, but figuratively. Definitely compensating for something.

No mountain has regulars with such overinflated pride that their mountain is bigger and badder than anywhere else. It's really weird. I mean every place has its fans that sing their home mountains praises, but no place has a crowd so intent on also telling you why where you like to ski sucks. When I'm on the K1 or in the KBL , I sometimes feel like I'm at a Patriots game.

BodeMiller1

Sometimes I think about that never gonna happen scenario in life and buying Wildcat. Then I remember how I had to work 70-80 hours a week as a middle manager at a ski area and what a bitch it was to staff them. I then say, naw, multiple passes, slope side real estate at say Jay, Saddleback and the Yellowstone Club sounds pretty good.

Then there's just the billionaire mentality and desire to make ever greater amounts of money. I think about the dude Bacon who bought Taos. He's seemingly slowly moving away from the old school charm it's known for. The excuse always being sustainability of the business.

Maybe these new Killington pros bring back the early season twofer though. That would be sweet
Like Cannon: Thursday two for $75.00 if you're from Vermont.

Take Canadian dollar at par. (1 = 1) except for lodging. The Canadians appreciate it.

Don't ever save good snow for the people from New York.

Let kids ski for a nominal charge. The next Bode Miller (The Real One) may live within striking distance. Meow.

Rebuild the hotdog shack on the back side to Wheeler Rd. :unsure:

Just keep the lifts already built running as much as possible. Seriously, Killington does everything right. From using the cold air outside to save on refrigeration costs to the way the whole mountain is set up. At Sunday River they put condos in on White Heat? WTF 🎩

It will be fun to see what's going to happen. This is a game changer for me.

AdironRider

Pretty good summary Zand

I would add that Killington also attracts a bit of people with the lifted Pickup Truck with hitch testicles vibe. Not necessarily literal owners of those Floridaesque rigs, but figuratively. Definitely compensating for something.

No mountain has regulars with such overinflated pride that their mountain is bigger and badder than anywhere else. It's really weird. I mean every place has its fans that sing their home mountains praises, but no place has a crowd so intent on also telling you why where you like to ski sucks. When I'm on the K1 or in the KBL , I sometimes feel like I'm at a Patriots game.

Only place I've been where people rip darts in a lift line and don't get shit for it.

Smellytele

Pretty good summary Zand

More like a jets game

eatskisleep

You guys don’t know how excited I got when I heard on the radio WBZ 1030:
“A large ski resort operator is selling off 2 of their resorts, more coming up at the top of the hour.”

I immediately thought maybe vail is finally selling Attitash and Wildcat!

Sadly, just Killington news.

But, the day with come! Wildcat won’t be yours forever VAIL!

4aprice

More like a jets game
A little Boston Bravado boys? I see plenty of Bruin and Tom Brady jerseys full of testosterone on the slopes too.

Actually I don't care Jersey is going to remain my home in the warm weather months. So J E T S Jets Jets Jets and Let's Go Mets (Grew up a Shea Stadium kid) and Let's go Devils These guys will always be in my heart even as I spend winters out in the Rockies

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have sympathy for anyone who has to live in either state. Have many friends from both that are great people.....but fuck that. I can barely stand the ten days a year I have to spend at my corporate office in NJ or the 50 or so I spend in Mass.

When I retire, I may never travel below the NH border again.