• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

POWDR selling Killington

mister moose

Viper Pit is the black diamond section of Skyeburst, correct ? But what is Anti-Venom, is it the blue bypass on skiers right of Viper Pit ?

Anti-venom is the blue work-around on your trail map that re-joins lower Bear Claw. Which is now lower Skyeburst. I think.

Lots of trail segments have names that have come from Ops, Patrol, or ancient trail names. Bowling Alley, Mixing Bowl, Goat Path, Interceptor, Pipeline.

Newpylong

Viper Pit and Anti Venom funny enough were on the map at one point.

Overall, I don't think POWDR was a "bad" steward of the mountain. I just think somewhere along the lines the priorities started to veer away from industry best practices and what perhaps could have been the best ROI for the amount of capital they were willing to put in. Imagine the amount of snowmaking improvements that could have been made for the price of the K-1 lodge? Luckily Rutland county has an escalator that doesn't work now though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Viper Pit and Anti Venom funny enough were on the map at one point.

Overall, I don't think POWDR was a "bad" steward of the mountain. I just think somewhere along the lines the priorities started to veer away from industry best practices and what perhaps could have been the best ROI for the amount of capital they were willing to put in. Imagine the amount of snowmaking improvements that could have been made for the price of the K-1 lodge? Luckily Rutland county has an escalator that doesn't work now though.
Sounds like POWDR. Spending money on shiny toys and not what is really needed.

One thing from the Mountain Times article that stood out was that several deals had fallen through prior to this one. It would be interesting to know who those potential buyers were.

letitsnow1

Sounds like POWDR. Spending money on shiny toys and not what is really needed.

One thing from the Mountain Times article that stood out was that several deals had fallen through prior to this one. It would be interesting to know who those potential buyers were.
I don't know if it's true but I heard Vail offered substantially more then the current deal, and Powdr said they wouldn't sell to Vail. I also heard they were in talks with Alterra

machski

I don't know if it's true but I heard Vail offered substantially more then the current deal, and Powdr said they wouldn't sell to Vail. I also heard they were in talks with Alterra
Vail may have been interested but I can't imagine that wouldn't trigger antitrust issues for them. That would give them Mt. Snow, Okemo and Stowe. Way too much of the market, especially South/central VT.

drjeff

Vail may have been interested but I can't imagine that wouldn't trigger antitrust issues for them. That would give them Mt. Snow, Okemo and Stowe. Way too much of the market, especially South/central VT.
On the flip side, gotta think that today's anti trust world in the age of Google and Amazon, that anti trust issues aren't as stringently enforced as they were sat 30yrs ago!

urungus

On the flip side, gotta think that today's anti trust world in the age of Google and Amazon, that anti trust issues aren't as stringently enforced as they were sat 30yrs ago!

doublediamond

If Altera is under antitrust investigation for purchase of A-basin while Vail has a significantly larger CO market share, then K being gobbled up by Vail definitely would!

tumbler

I found it interesting in the Mt Times article that they clarified that their capital investment would be the profits from the operation. Sounds like they have already put some money in with new guns but ski areas are not very profitable especially ones with huge old inefficient snowmaking systems. New lifts, pipe, pumps and labor do not come cheap now. I want them to succeed but it seemed that they were trying to temper expectations about capital investment.

machski

Seriously, not as strictly enforced today? What about the low cost airline mergers? JetBlue and Spirit were blocked to "maintain competitive balance" but both are now shrinking and likely to both go into bankruptcy. Hawaiian and Alaska are trying, but DOJ has them in review as well. I'd say anti-trust under the current administration has ramped up significantly. No way Vail would have gotten K over the goal line.