• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

R.I.P. Pontiac: 1926-2010

deadheadskier

Staff member
Shit man you could trade that baby for 3 Impalas----LOL

You know, in my line of work, in $ value, chefs could buy 3 crap commodity steaks for the price of 1 of what I sell. Not a single chef would take such a trade.

You're really not being fair to BMW with that statement. ;)

campgottagopee

You know, in my line of work, in $ value, chefs could buy 3 crap commodity steaks for the price of 1 of what I sell. Not a single chef would take such a trade.

You're really not being fair to BMW with that statement. ;)

True, especially being the 7 Series----that's when you can really say, "I drive a beemer".

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
daily

what's your point?

Couldnt find the 745 on the bmw web site so i dont know the cost. but if they are evenly priced. yes i would take the chevy any and everyday, or a ford.
cars are not to practical for me because i need my truck to get'r done.
But if it was my lucky day and i won a foreign car i would trade it in for the new camaro.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So that beemer is worth 8 hyundais?

Like and think what you want. I'll admit to not test driving and Impala or Malibu before I bought the Sonata. I did however, test the Fusion. While I was impressed with the Fusion in that Ford had come a long way since the POS taurus that predated it; it was in no way shape or form as well constructed of a car as the Sonata, Accord, Altima or Camry. I picked the Hyundai because I felt it drove the best out of the five cars I tested. The difference between it in the Japanese cars was minimal, so price was a driving factor. The difference between it and the Ford was significant. I didn't even bother with a Chevy option because every Chevy I've driven in my life outside of a truck has been a POS.

Unlike yourself, I'm not a car brand Homer. I actually use my brain when I shop for a vehicle like most people do and drive the damn car before I make a decision. It could be made in Panama for all I care as long as I like it.

The fact that you are so completely close minded to anything but American brands suggests to me that you are a completely close minded individual in general; your comment on prop 8 further confirms that. Not exactly a winning personality trait. Put that in your small to medium sized half pipe and smoke it.

thorski

True, especially being the 7 Series----that's when you can really say, "I drive a beemer".

Wow $80,000 dollars for a 7 series.
I could get the following
1. A chevy impala.
2. A jeep rubicon (with all the bells and whistles)
3. A couple of polaris ATV's with a nice trailer
4. and money left over for a round or two of jaeger bombs and sam adams chasers for the whole bar. :beer:

campgottagopee

Wow $80,000 dollars for a 7 series.
I could get the following
1. A chevy impala.
2. A jeep rubicon (with all the bells and whistles)
3. A couple of polaris ATV's with a nice trailer
4. and money left over for a round or two of jaeger bombs and sam adams chasers for the whole bar. :beer:

Yup, and at the end of the day all you'd have is a hangover.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Right, should've said a large %, not "most" my bad----shouldn't "American Manufactures" lead the "Buikt in America" list anyways???

Subie wont show up on any top 10 manufacturing lists until you get to quality---they are a very small car company----heck, Nissan sell in on month what Subie does in a year. Talk about miss- information

not to belabor this, but the point of the article was to repond to your point that chevrolets aren't built in the U.S.("He's all about Chev, most of those are made in Canada and Mexico....built in America my ass!!!"). how many cars subara sells compared to nissan is not relevant...what's relevant is the percentage of american-sourced content in each subaru (or, lack thereof, to be more precise).

the article made clear that chevy/GM (especially) and ford lead the industry in terms of the percentage of CONTENT of cars sourced in the U.S....not only that, but the gm and ford cars in the list are major volume cars, not like toyota's sienna minivan.

i'm not trying to be all rah-rah U.S.A U.S.A here, just pointing out that saying "most" chevies are built in canada and mexico is wrong, and, IMHO, it's not something that someone in the industry should be getting wrong.

campgottagopee

not to belabor this, but the point of the article was to repond to your point that chevrolets aren't built in the U.S.("He's all about Chev, most of those are made in Canada and Mexico....built in America my ass!!!"). how many cars subara sells compared to nissan is not relevant...what's relevant is the percentage of american-sourced content in each subaru (or, lack thereof, to be more precise).

the article made clear that chevy/GM (especially) and ford lead the industry in terms of the percentage of CONTENT of cars sourced in the U.S....not only that, but the gm and ford cars in the list are major volume cars, not like toyota's sienna minivan.

i'm not trying to be all rah-rah U.S.A U.S.A here, just pointing out that saying "most" chevies are built in canada and mexico is wrong, and, IMHO, it's not something that someone in the industry should be getting wrong.

Did you not read my responce where I said you were correct and that I should've said "a large %" and not "most"???? And when your list is based on "sales" then yes the amount of sales is relevant. (subie wouldn't make that list anyway because they're only 55% American content) I'd be curious to see a list where they would take "fleet sales" out and use only retail, that could open some eyes.

My original post was a "jab" at Thorski more than anything, but this is kinda fun. Should've brought up the Chev Aveo, or I mean Daewoo.:)

thorski

That was not Michael Bays idea, VW chose not to be involved in the movie, they didn't want their cars being perceived as weapons. Just another point that you are completely off mark on.

While the Sky does look nice, and yes is does from 20+ paces, get up close, pop the hood/trunk any panel that opens and you will see shoddy workmanship, lousy welds and overspray and drips. These are some of the areas that the american manufacturers are sorely lacking. Style, IMHO has never been an issue, it is the area between paper an production that sucks.

I have no idea why german companies wouldn't want their cars percieved as weapons.
The heritage of german cars is of making nice cars for the people, no?

thorski

Did you not read my responce where I said you were correct and that I should've said "a large %" and not "most"???? And when your list is based on "sales" then yes the amount of sales is relevant. (subie wouldn't make that list anyway because they're only 55% American content) I'd be curious to see a list where they would take "fleet sales" out and use only retail, that could open some eyes.

My original post was a "jab" at Thorski more than anything, but this is kinda fun. Should've brought up the Chev Aveo, or I mean Daewoo.:)

How dare you jab at the Odinson. :razz:

SkiDork

anyway, to again get away from Politics, here's a question:

Which year GTO was your fave?

I like the year of the one in the very first post (Blue) which I believe is either a 66 or 67

Anyone else?

thorski

anyway, to again get away from Politics, here's a question:

Which year GTO was your fave?

I like the year of the one in the very first post (Blue) which I believe is either a 66 or 67

Anyone else?

I had a 69 pontiac le mans with the chrome front grill in high school.
I bought it used and dropped a 327 chevy in it that i had rebuilt for another car i planned on buying. But when i saw the le mans i bought it instead.
In my opinion 69 was the best year for muscle cars, and pontiac made the best.
Although the rebirth of the mustang, challenger, and camaro is awesome, and maybe the best is yet to come. Unfortunately not for pontiac. Maybe mittsubishi will make a muscle car and call it the zero. :p

And it's not politics- it's car talk.

SkiDork

Now, I'm not that familiar with Pontiac so riddle me this: What was the difference between the LeMans and GTO? Same car but cheaper? Different car?

SkiDork

oh, re: 1969

I agree, prolly the very best mucsle car year. I love the 69 Vette the best. But I would also assert that 67 and 68 are a close second.

I still like the body of the 66/67 better than the 69 Goat

thorski

Now, I'm not that familiar with Pontiac so riddle me this: What was the difference between the LeMans and GTO? Same car but cheaper? Different car?

Bodys were about the same. GTO had the enduro nose that was painted instead of chrome. You had more options on the GTO. The GTO was the Hi performance model of the le-mans. 4 barrel carb as opposed to two. I don't remember if the diff. had better gearing or not. I ran 373's
Much like the difference between a normal chevy and an SS version. The GTO was faster.