• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged - 3/11/08

57stevey

Date(s) Skied: 3/11/08

Resort or Ski Area: Ragged

Conditions: groomed lsgr

Trip Report:

We arrived about 8:30 to a nearly empty lot on 2-fer day.

DSCF1800r.jpg

DSCF1798r.jpg

DSCF1797r.jpg

Unfortunately Spear chair was down all day but most of the 6-pack terrain was open.

DSCF1805r.jpg

DSCF1804r.jpg

I must say Ragged did an excellent job of grooming, trails started this cold AM as very edgeable cord and held up well all day... only Birches had any significant scraped areas and that wasn't until 2-3 PM. (Anything not groomed looked impenetrable, we didn't even bother.)

DSCF1799r.jpg

With few people on the hill we were flying all day. Staff was friendly as always, they ran the 6-pack for a few minutes after close for those of us who raced down to get that last run. Route 4 was a mess as others here have noted. Took 104 to 93 on the way home and that will be the route of choice for the future.

Last word... unless you must be off-piste, don't be afraid to try southern NH these last few weeks, there is still fun to be had!

DSCF1796r.jpg

57stevey

I imagine the spear triple will either be replaced or overhauled this summer. It was really patchy the weekend I was up there. Nice pics.

Thx. Isn't the downhill (this Sat.) usually on Flying Yankee? I suspect they may just have Spear down for the week in the hopes that it runs for race day? (Can't tell from the website since the trail report doesn't seem to have changed in several days, and it wasn't right when I was there.)

I know some people have mentioned a HSQ for Spear, but I wonder if that would be overkill for basically three trails... seems like a fixed-grip quad that runs properly would do the job nicely.

Skier75

A hi speed quad would be very nice for getting up the hill. Don't put as many chairs on it and it won't overload the top of the mountain. Let's not discourage them from putting in a high speed quad now.

Angus

skied Sunday here for the 1st time. what a great mountain. skis bigger than the approximately 1300' with nice pitches everywhere and the woods are great. snow was excellent once it softened - after 10AM. the base is deep, even in the glades on steep pitches, there was good coverage. Kudos to the groomers, groomed trails were very good before the snow softened. it looks like they only report on their ski report terrain that they plan to open first thing b/c alot of terrain ended up opening throughout the day. couple of other notes: lots of employees spoke well of new ownership, impressed by #s and visibility of ski patrol & spear lift needs work - dumped a ton of rusty water all over Son of Angus' new jacket (hope it doesn't stain!). Highly recommend for family, all the terrain empties to one spot so you can keep track of kids and terrain is variable to keep young and old satisfied. views were also very nice - when the clouds lifted. alot of the expert terrain they left ungroomed and it was nicely bumped up. nice prelude to spring skiing. will definitely be back. btw: went 89 to rt 11 to 4 - about 110 minutes from metrowest.