• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Re: FYI skiing

snoseek

Isn't freeskiing considered alpine skiing? Anyhow yes, I predict the sport will shrink. Younger people have less disposable income, jobs pay less, gas is expensive, college loans...the list goes on. A lot of boomers have no idea how easy they had it compared to this generation entering the work force. Funny how they are so quick to use the word "entitled" to describe them.

Smellytele

Very misleading as it seems to be say because more twin tips are being sold that alpine skiing is on the decline and park riding is rising. I know a lot of people with twin tips that go no where near the park. Also those that go in the park ski on the rest of the mountain for the most part. I call this a dumb article...

snoseek

Very misleading as it seems to be say because more twin tips are being sold that alpine skiing is on the decline and park riding is rising. I know a lot of people with twin tips that go no where near the park. Also those that go in the park ski on the rest of the mountain for the most part. I call this a dumb article...
Yeah, it made zero sense to me. I think lots of people are still sliding on snow, things have just diversified a lot but if your riding a chair you are an alpine skier IMO.

timm

Snowboarders could just as easily be divided in to two categories so comparing the numbers seems a bit like a useless. And the growth in tele includes lots of people doing "traditional" downhill style skiing at lift served areas, just on tele gear.

There's a lot of ugly questions in the future of "traditional" alpine skiing, both economic and possibly environmental, but I don't think these numbers are too useful. Agree with snosneek. I know a lot of people who love skiing (and boarding) but don't think they will bring their kids up in the sport just because of the economics involved are too much to overcome. I worry about the same thing.

gmcunni

i have twin tips and i only go in the park when i want to score some meth from the snowboarders.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Poorly written article that was written to prove the point they were trying to make. First, they didnt divide up snowboarders by those who go in the park and those that dont. Second, unless your park is flat, youre still downhill skiing.... I just got twins but only spend 25% of my days in the park.

Many of the kids that can shred up the park can carve with the best of them downhill as well, so I really dont see why we need a distinction.

Scruffy

That's one bollocks-ed up article. Free skiing is a subset of Alpine skiing. So

A closer look at the ski sector, however, shows that the shrinking number of alpine skiers is actually being met with an equal but opposite push toward freeskiing

everything's ok then. Skier ( and boarder ) visits are the important thing. It makes little difference ( yes some for planning where to put their efforts, i.e more terrain parks ) to a resort if you pay and ride the lift to the terrain park or take the lift to the back bowl.

U.S. SKI RESORT VISITS BOUNCE BACK IN 2012-13

MAY 7, 2013 11:35 AM FIRST TRACKS!! ONLINE MEDIA LEAVE A COMMENT
Lakewood, CO – The National Ski Areas Association has released preliminary data showing that U.S. ski areas tallied an estimated 56.6 million skier and snowboarder visits during the 2012-13 winter season, representing an 11 percent increase over the disappointing 2011-12 season and the largest year-over-year gain in 30 years.