• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recipes

Greg

Staff member
Thought this might make a good thread. Any other fellow cooks out there? Let's share some of our favorite recipes in this thread. No rules; anything goes - simple as well as complex recipes are welcome!

Here's a great chili recipe:

Chili

4 tomatoes - or 28 oz can of DelMonte Fresh Cut and Peeled Diced Tomatoes (or similiar)
1 lb ground beef
1 cup onion (chopped)
6 garlic cloves (minced)
3 cans tomato soup
1 or 2 cans kidney beans
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano

If using fesh tomatoes, prepare them by dipping in boiling water for 10-15 seconds, remove quickly, run under cold water, and skin with paring knife. Cut tomatoes into 1 inch chunk (canned tomatoes are just as good).

In large pot, brown beef. Add onion and garlic when beef is mostly cooked, and cook through. Add all other ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Adjust chili and cayenne to taste Add ground black pepper and/or cup or two of chopped green pepper if desired.

Top with shredded chedder and sour cream.

ChileMass

Store-bought is weak - here's my recipe for homemade BBQ sauce that's easy and spicy:

1 big bottle ketchup (brand doesn't matter cuz you're just using it as a base)
1 small can tomato paste
3 oz. Liquid Smoke (Trader Joe's is great)
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 bottle A1 sauce
4 big dashes of Tabasco
big pinch of salt
ground black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients well and adjust amounts to taste. Compare it to KC Masterpiece - about 1/4 the price and even better!

:p

Greg

Staff member
Great one CM! Here's a parboil recipe that works great for ribs. Using your sauce might make it really good:
Barbecue Ribs

Boil ribs for 15 minutes in:

6 quarts water
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp peppercorns
1 whole onion (chopped)
1/2 bottle beer (Bass, Sam Adams or similar)

Marinate cooked ribs in K.C. Masterpiece or similar sauce for minimum of 15 minutes. Grill. Brush with extra suace.

G

GrubTime

Cheese Enchiladas

Cheese Enchiladas
INGREDIENTS
4 c. Monterey Jack, shredded
2 c. Cheddar, shredded
2 medium onions, chopped
1 c. sour cream or plain yogurt
1 c. chopped green bell pepper
3-15 oz. cans tomato sauce
4 T. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 t. dried oregano
20 flour tortillas
3 T. chili powder
3/4 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
PREPARATION
Grease dutch. Mix Monterey Jack, one cup Cheddar cheese, 1/2 onion (chopped), sour cream, parsley
and pepper. Spoon about 1/3-1/2 cup mixture onto each tortilla around filling and face seam side down.
Mix remaining ingredients except cheese. Pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake
until hot and bubbly. Serve about 20.
COOKING TIME: Approximately 30 minutes
DUTCH OVEN SIZE: 14 inc

GrubTime
http://www.packlitepro.com

ChileMass

Bump - another good old thread......

Any other BBQ freaks out there? See Greg's ribs recipe above and my BBQ sauce recipe - yum......

Those new cable TV shows with the competing barbecue chefs make me salivate just thinking about it, and watching them is like delicious torture (does that make me REALLY sick??).

Anyway - let's hear more BBQ or other summer recipes....

Greg

Staff member
Simple: Peel and rinse raw jumbo shrimp and marinate in olive oil, mined garlic (lots), kosher salt and cayenne pepper for at least 30 minutes. Grill. Yum.

ctenidae

Marinate shrimp in dry sherry, a little lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil. Grill. Like Greg's, Yum.

My wife's favorite recipe of mine- stuffed porkchops. Get 1.5-2 inch thick butterfly porkchops, on or off bone, your choice (I like the bone). Cut a pocket inside (careful- don't butterfly it), and stuff with breadcrumbs, butter, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper (should be the consistency of Play-do). Close the hole with a toothpick. Drop in a NASA-hot cast iron skillet to brown one side, flip and toss in a 350 (or so) oven for 15-20 mintutes. Served up with garlic mashed potatoes, you've got some good eating. Just make sure your significant other eats it, too, or you'll get garliced to death.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I find ground veal tastier for chili.

Greg said:
Thought this might make a good thread. Any other fellow cooks out there? Let's share some of our favorite recipes in this thread. No rules; anything goes - simple as well as complex recipes are welcome!

Here's a great chili recipe:

Chili

4 tomatoes - or 28 oz can of DelMonte Fresh Cut and Peeled Diced Tomatoes (or similiar)
1 lb ground beef
1 cup onion (chopped)
6 garlic cloves (minced)
3 cans tomato soup
1 or 2 cans kidney beans
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano

If using fesh tomatoes, prepare them by dipping in boiling water for 10-15 seconds, remove quickly, run under cold water, and skin with paring knife. Cut tomatoes into 1 inch chunk (canned tomatoes are just as good).

In large pot, brown beef. Add onion and garlic when beef is mostly cooked, and cook through. Add all other ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Adjust chili and cayenne to taste Add ground black pepper and/or cup or two of chopped green pepper if desired.

Top with shredded chedder and sour cream.

noski

You have to trust me....

Noski's Thanksgiving Ham:
Ingredients:
Ham (the one with the bone in...)
Creamy Peanut Butter
Bacon
Cloves
Brown Sugar
Disposable pan for baking (note: when the brown sugar/pnt butter melt they will cook to a black mess in the bottom of your favorite roasting pan, so I use disposable)

Score the ham, insert whole cloves
Slather with peanut butter
Press in brown sugar
Drape with bacon
Secure bacon with toothpicks

Cover with foil and cook as directed, removing foil for last 30 minutes until bacon crisps up....

Remove from oven and pull bacon off and eat it while warm. Let ham sit 10 minutes and slice. You can cut this with a spoon, and it has a slight nutty taste. You need a referee around the stove when the bacon gets pulled off.....

bvibert

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Peanut butter, huh? Never used that on a ham before.

Interesting.

I never would have thought to put peanut butter on ham, sounds kinda good though... Thanks noski, now I'm hungry! :roll: ;)

noski

bvibert said:
ctenidae said:
Peanut butter, huh? Never used that on a ham before.

Interesting.

I never would have thought to put peanut butter on ham, sounds kinda good though... Thanks noski, now I'm hungry! :roll: ;)

I didn't even mention the unreal pea soup you'll make with the broth from that ham bone....

nancie2k

Greg said:
Simple: Peel and rinse raw jumbo shrimp and marinate in olive oil, mined garlic (lots), kosher salt and cayenne pepper for at least 30 minutes. Grill. Yum.

try adding a bit of lime juice to that marinade-also yummy 8)
and some minced fresh ginger

Greg

Staff member
Chicken and Penne a la Vodka

This has become a real favorite in our house the past year or so. Now that it's cooling off, I decided to make it tonight which reminded me to post it here. Here goes:

1 lb. chicken breast, cubed in one inch chunks
1 lb. penne pasta
14 oz. can crushed tomato (buy 28 oz. can, freeze or refridge other half)
5 cloves crushed garlic
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup vodka
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Start heating water for pasta. Heat oil and butter in skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes. Add chicken, cook through. Add vodka, pepper, parsley and salt and simmer 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, heavy cream, and parmesan. The sauce should take on a salmon pink color. Cook pasta (don't overcook!) while simmering sauce. Drain pasta and mix pasta and sauce in pasta pot. Serve with italian bread.

A truly radical meal. Let me know if any of you try it. The chicken is a nice change from adding prosciutto which tends to make it too salty.

Grassi21

This has become a real favorite in our house the past year or so. Now that it's cooling off, I decided to make it tonight which reminded me to post it here. Here goes:

1 lb. chicken breast, cubed in one inch chunks
1 lb. penne pasta
14 oz. can crushed tomato (buy 28 oz. can, freeze or refridge other half)
5 cloves crushed garlic
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup vodka
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Start heating water for pasta. Heat oil and butter in skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes. Add chicken, cook through. Add vodka, pepper, parsley and salt and simmer 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, heavy cream, and parmesan. The sauce should take on a salmon pink color. Cook pasta (don't overcook!) while simmering sauce. Drain pasta and mix pasta and sauce in pasta pot. Serve with italian bread.

A truly radical meal. Let me know if any of you try it. The chicken is a nice change from adding prosciutto which tends to make it too salty.

me thinks you need more vodka. if not in the sauce than in the glass next to your plate. :beer: sounds good. loves me some vodka sauce.