• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

recommendation for intermediate to low expert ski

michaelpi

Am 6 ft, 200 pounds, Early 50s. Got back to skiing three years ago. Love it.

East coast skier. Looking for good skis for my level (blues and blacks, if not icy.) Double blacks rarely unless deep snow, or Loon - which doesn't count. Ski mostly at Cannon - if you know the mountain, ski whole hill but Hardscrabble (bumps you can't bail out of).

Ski roughly 20 days a year past two years.

Thinking to get Solomon Rocker 2 90s, and would rent skiis for real powder if lucky enough to get out west next season. Want pair with more flex in bumps (skied used pair of Rossignol Bandits this year, and they were hard to get through bumps without jumping around a lot more than my not-in-such-good shape anymore body can deliver, but fine on groomed snow, stable more or less on hard pack, and fast enough for me.

Recommendations? Want something I don't mind getting nicked up, as early fall and late spring skiing are important to me. (Solomons would be under$500, so wouldn't feel completely bad skiing on some dirt, rocks, etc.)

bobbutts

I think the general opinion you will get is demo and decide what you like which is good, but I always end up loving very expensive equipment.

Last few times I have gone cheap, I check clearance sales like skis.com and also use coupons.

JDMRoma

Im at your age hight and weight, ability......Volkl RTM 84s or if you can live without Rockers you can find the AC 50s on Ebay at a reasonable price. I have the 50s and have yet to find conditions they cant handle from ice to deep pow out west. Obviously not the best pow ski but they do the job well considering. I just picked up powder skis this year, Volkl Gotama's that are full Rockers.......knowing what I know now It go with the RTM84s though Rockers are Fun !! Look over the summer, or in the next few weeks and Im sure you will find some deals on the RTMs. Buy them off season and if for any crazy reason you didnt like them you could get out of them without losing any or much cash out of pocket at the beginning of next season.
Just my $.02

John