• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Robin Williams dies

deadheadskier

Staff member
The guy killed himself, left a wife a daughter. POS in my book

And you're a POS in my book for having such a callous opinion.

He lost his battle with a horrible disease. The VA estimates that 22 military veterans die from suicide every day. Are they pieces of shit in your opinion as well?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

In total honesty, my very very first thought was the same thing. Well, not the POS part, but "how could you do that to yourself when you have young kids / children / a family?". It was the thought I had within 20 seconds of hearing the news.

However, I realized that view came from my own perspective (which is not depressed, or at least if it is not to the level that it apparently was for Robin Williams). It's hard (maybe even impossible?) to imagine what it would be like to be in Robin Williams' head that day. From everything I've heard and read over the past few days, this level of depression is something that clouds everything. I'm sure he was in tremendous mental pain. Despite all the success and having a life that many would envy, you can't just logically think your way out of it.

hammer

Can understand (but not agree with!) this statement but mainly because I don't suffer from depression.

Not sure what else to add to what everyone else has said here. Been watching a few short videos since RW's death and they still crack me up as much as when I first saw them.

Last edited:

Cornhead

My Brother committed suicide, we were not close. My Sister lost her battle with Cancer two years earlier. At first I looked at his suicide as a selfish act adding to my Parent's already substansial grief. I soon realized that his mental illness was no less a "real" illness, nor less lethal, than my Sister's Cancer. You wouldn't consider someone a POS for succumbing to Cancer, would you?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I had an uncle who committed suicide several years ago. He had MS and couldn't take the pain anymore nor the drug addled existence he had to suffer through to dull the pain of the disease. He was in his early 70s and probably would have lived for several more years.

Is that okay because he was suffering from a physically painful disease, but it's not okay for someone who is suffering depression?

I don't think it's right to judge what anyone is going through that leads to a choice of terminating their life.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Last edited:

steamboat1

Edd

I've always thought that our priorities are a bit messed up in regard to ending your own life. Not using RW as an example but sometimes, oh yeah, it's warranted.

There are certain illnesses that I can't see myself tolerating, particularly ones that would make me a horrible burden to people I love. No thanks, my life, my business.

ScottySkis

I really do not want to put all my personal life out here. But I know serve depression it really sucks. If you have family you love you think about them to. In the end a lot of the medicine out their does not help I know this from my own experience. MJ helped in fact I willing to say If i did not find mj helped me I probably would not be here today.

jimk

ScottySkis

It very hard for anyone not in his condition to know his reason s were thanks for making us laugh Robin. I understand it totally.