• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ruroc helmets

KD7000

It's an interesting idea. Once you've been wearing a regular helmet for a while, it's not too big of a step to going full-face.

I have a full-face mountain bike helmet I wear for lift-service DH, and while it's a bit bulky to ride around with, once you're on the descent it's not really noticeable. But the decrease in peripheral vision is typically offset by the fact that you don't need to keep looking around for other people. I'd be a bit more concerned on a ski slope.

Price wise- if you add up a regular helmet + goggles + face mask, you're spending about as much as one of these.

Hawkshot99

what is the face card actually made up though? Is it basic plastic? Since the face mask portion of the helmet is removable I highly doubt they will protect you in a fall. My guess is that it would just break right off. A motocross helmet, the face protection is an integral part of the helmet.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Bene288

what is the face card actually made up though? Is it basic plastic? Since the face mask portion of the helmet is removable I highly doubt they will protect you in a fall. My guess is that it would just break right off. A motocross helmet, the face protection is an integral part of the helmet.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

I never looked at my friends that closely as he only brought it once when it was really windy. You're right, though, it needs to be one piece to be safe. That bottom part could easily break off in a serious fall and end up breaking your jaw something.

C-Rex

On a frigid, windy day, I bet these things are the cat's ass, or if you prefer, the bees knees. I'd love to have protection without my breath getting it all wet and then freezing solid when I get moving on a groomer. I've been thinking about designs for a soft mask with a feature to deal with the moisture. It's going to be my ticket to fame and fortune! ;-)

legalskier

On a frigid, windy day, I bet these things are the cat's ass, or if you prefer, the bees knees. I'd love to have protection without my breath getting it all wet and then freezing solid when I get moving on a groomer. I've been thinking about designs for a soft mask with a feature to deal with the moisture. It's going to be my ticket to fame and fortune! ;-)

I bought a fleece neck gaiter at Snowshed's ski shop a few years back that can be either worn around the neck, or pulled up because it has a flap/opening for the nose. It works great. I tried to find it online for you, but it looks like it's been discontinued.

C-Rex

I bought a fleece neck gaiter at Snowshed's ski shop a few years back that can be either worn around the neck, or pulled up because it has a flap/opening for the nose. It works great. I tried to find it online for you, but it looks like it's been discontinued.

I've seen those and they do work fairly well. I'm thinking I can do better. We'll see. I have an idea to vent exhaled air so that nothing gets wet.

C-Rex

Will do. If I come up with a good design, I'll make prototypes and ship them to AZers for beta testing. I can't think of a better group to do it, since I know you'll all be honest to the point of brutality. LOL

I also want to design a system to carry collapsable poles specifically for snowboarders. I'm thinking something like a holster that could mount to the thigh or lower leg so it's out of the way and won't be a problem in a crash. Or maybe even something that could mount to the top of the board between the bindings... Either way, no more getting stuck on traverses or flat sections! I have a set that I keep in my backpack but it's a pain to stop, take the pack off, pull them out, put the pack back on and continue. Then when I get where I'm going, I have to break them down, take the pack off again...etc. I want to be able to pull them out, get where I'm going, and put them away with minimal down time, or maybe none at all if it can be done on the move.

Breakout12

I saw my first one this year at Bristol. We all thought "Stormtrooper." My first thought was that it must provide excellent protection for your face in a crash.

Breakout12

〽❄❅;801441 said:
Ok then, there's the fuglier Scott 83x goggle/face mask for $52
http://www.compacc.com/p/Scott-83X-...cse&utm_campaign=sc&scpid=6&scid=scsho2727095
http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...oggle-scott-83x-safari-facemask-black-yellow/

I'm actually curious about the Oakley Splice Banditto Face Mask. Not so cyborg looking but expensive and you'd have buy the Splice goggle too. Looks as though it'll work unlike all the other mask and balaclavas i've tried which either restrict vision and or are very uncomfortable - http://www.oakley.com/products/6875...&cm_mmc=gbase_csfeeds-_-PLA-_-master-_-57-276

I love the look of the Oakley face mask, but the ad that I was reading didn't mention that it is part of a system. It was only after looking at several pics of people wearing it that I noticed all the goggles were the same. I dug deeper and discovered that you need specific goggles.

mulva

I saw my first one this year at Bristol. We all thought "Stormtrooper." My first thought was that it must provide excellent protection for your face in a crash.

I could have used one of these last weekend at Sugarbush. Lower Organgrinder warmup run with flat light, I didn't see this little lip, hit it at 40 per alpinereplay, got a bit of air but a ski ejected on landing. Face planted on some groomed hardpack, busted my nose up and split my goggle lens, blood everywhere. A ski school instructor stopped for me and got ski patrol (thanks!) to take me down to the clinic, get me cleaned up, checked out and make sure my head was right. Next lift up I saw a kid with a Ruroc skiing below me. Never saw one before that. Was it a sign? Coincidence maybe? :)

Cannonball

I also want to design a system to carry collapsable poles specifically for snowboarders. I'm thinking something like a holster that could mount to the thigh or lower leg so it's out of the way and won't be a problem in a crash. Or maybe even something that could mount to the top of the board between the bindings... Either way, no more getting stuck on traverses or flat sections! I have a set that I keep in my backpack but it's a pain to stop, take the pack off, pull them out, put the pack back on and continue. Then when I get where I'm going, I have to break them down, take the pack off again...etc. I want to be able to pull them out, get where I'm going, and put them away with minimal down time, or maybe none at all if it can be done on the move.

Just don't infringe on patent US5941435!! I used to see a variations of this back in the mid-90's. I think everyone realized that a) riding with a pole on your leg sucks, b) one pole doesn't do you as much good as you'd think. In other news....we saw a snowboarder rocking 2 poles at Mittersill last weekend. I'd tell you how he looked but it's uncouth to use the "R" word these days.