• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback April 15th, 2006

loafer89

Area Skied: Saddleback

Date Skied: April 15th, 2006 from 11:00am - 2:30pm

Surface conditions: Frozen granular, spring conditions, bare spots, icy patches

My son and I left Sugarloaf in a thick fog with the temperature in the upper 30's, my son wanted to ski at Saddleback and the weather looked bad, but it was dry. As we pulled into the Saddleback parking lot, as if on que, it started to rain:evil: :???: Not wanting to ski in a cold rain, we had a leisurely breakfast and waited for the rain to stop around 11:00am.

As we where on our way up the Rangeley Chair a heavy rain shower (mixed with sleet) hit us and we where sopping wet when we skied down a frozen and digusting Grey Ghost. As we boarded the chair again, of course the sun came out:roll: . Skiing from that point on improved somewhat with great groomed snow on Upper and Lower Green Weaver, which was the best trail of the day. I made the mistake of taking a run on the Kennebago T-bar which was an adventure to use in itself with a melted out track which featured roots, rocks, sheet ice and sopping wet snow.

I skied down Wardens Worry in a pea soup fog and hit the only patch of soft snow on the whole trail, sending me into a 10 point face plant when my body kept going but my ski's did not follow:-o The trail has very impressive base depths of at least 6-8' in many spots, and large whales in the middle of the run. The snow surface was disgusting though, with an uneven snow surface that rattled my teeth.

I skied Golden Smelt which has a nice bowl type feel to it, sort of like skiing a long narrow half pipe. The run had many thin and bare spots, but was skiable today at least.

Happy to be back on groomed snow, My son and I skied Red Devil and Silver Doctor, both trails had a very thin beggining, but nice corn snow until the end. As we ended the day at 2:30pm it started to rain again, and the snow cover had taken alot of abuse from the rain in the morning, so we called it quits.

The completed base lodge is beautiful, and a big step up from the old one of years past. I think that construction has started on the hotel, as a large building is being framed near the base of the South Branch Quad????

awf170

loafer89 said:
The trail has very impressive base depths of at least 6-8' in many spots, and large whales in the middle of the run. The snow surface was disgusting though, with an uneven snow surface that rattled my teeth.
With that kind of base they should try to beat K-mart out for the last to close. Sure they will lose money staying open another 2 weeks(3 weeks max) but the publicity they will get from being the last to close in N.E. will surely pay off.

Last edited:

Zand

A few resorts should beat out Killington this year. Killington has MAYBE till the end of April. Stowe, Bretton Woods, and now maybe Saddleback.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
wow, as of friday, saddleback still had 94% terrrain open. i would be really amazed to see saddleback open beyond this weekend, but i do believe they have the highest percentage of open terrain in new england right now which is nuts! go saddleback!

loafer89

Here are some pictures from Saddleback:

Base area:

BaseofSaddleback.jpg

Lower Grey Ghost:

LowerGreyGhost.jpg

Meltwater blowout on Grey Ghost:

RiverofmeltwateronGreyGhost.jpg

Kennebago T-Bar (the good part):

KennebagoT-Bar.jpg

Upper Wardens Worry:

UpperWardensWorry.jpg

Lower Wardens Worry (6'+ whales down the middle of the trail):

WardensWorry.jpg

Green Weaver (best snow on the mountain):

UpperGreenWeaver.jpg

Last edited:

loafer89

I am not so sure that Saddleback could make it much past this weekend without walking required in alot of spots. Warden's Worry had deep snow on it too be sure, it had huge whales of snow down the middle of the trail and looked like someone turned on the snowmaking and let it run without grooming it for quite some time. They rely on a T-Bar to access the trail and the T-bar line was the hairiest, scariest lift I have ever ridden because of all the hazardous meltout conditions that existed on it. The access trail, Dazzler, was melting out and down to mud in a few spots.

Saddleback is also pushing snow over meltwater bars down by the base, which is melting the snow that much faster. The snow at the base was very thin, maybe 6" tops, so walking would be required there. The natural snow cover is impressive above about 3000' with 1-2' at the 3000' level and 2-3' at the 4000' level.

What made me happy was that unlike Sugarloaf, Saddleback was running all of their lifts, even for the last weekend of the season.