• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

Jully

I feel like more SB skiers would go to SL compared to SR so probably a noticeable impact I bet. Maybe some families would go to Shawnee Peak too.

salsgang

We would probably make either Black or Mt. Abram our home mountain, with some trips to Sugarloaf. I think it would be spread around but Sugarloaf would definitely see an uptick. They may see an uptick in demand anyway due to the current uncertainty and people starting to make holiday week plans.

ironhippy

something similar is happening with my local hill.

The owners announced in March that they would not be opening next season (2015/16) and are selling the hill. A group of local buyers came together, had a town hall meeting and were talking about forming a co-op. This all took place in March.

Since then, we've heard nothing. The unofficial word (from employees and people involved in the sale) is that the hill will be open and it's definitely happening, but as of now there are no tickets on sale and no maintenance has been done to the hill since last April.

xwhaler

I wonder who the buyer would be that would allow them to get a new lift in this season at this stage? Guessing someone with deep pockets and well connected to really get an aggressive timeline.
They should run as is this yr and make sure they get the right buyer---if multiple parties are involved that will help on the bidding war.

Leasing the ski area operations seems like a bad idea--maybe for someplace with lots of ancillary revenue beyond the skiing but Saddleback is really just the ski hill, condos, and food/beverage in the lodge. Not sure leasing would be all that profitable for the person running it?

I'm sure that appeals to the family though so they can maintain ownership of all the land they own.

snoseek

Right? Even assuming a deal closed tomorrow how could it be possible to order ship and install a new lift in time for winter?

Newpylong

A little late to put a lift in... unless used one lined up or Skytrac has one built already and for sale. LP and Dopplemeyer already doing installs on east coast.

tipsdown

Vail, KSL Capital, Intrawest. Lets get the big boys in here. They probably have warehouses full of chairlifts!

The big boys like potential....Here's what they would be after. 5400 acres....Ripe for ski expansion and real estate development. Saddleback Lake and a couple of 4000 ft. peaks included....

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/new-england/tbd-saddleback-mountain-rd/pid_5225329/
http://www.berkshirehathawayhs.com/...ack-Mt-Road-Sandy-River-Plt-ME-4970-131051160

VTKilarney

The big boys like potential....Here's what they would be after. 5400 acres....Ripe for ski expansion and real estate development. Saddleback Lake and a couple of 4000 ft. peaks included....

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/new-england/tbd-saddleback-mountain-rd/pid_5225329/
http://www.berkshirehathawayhs.com/...ack-Mt-Road-Sandy-River-Plt-ME-4970-131051160

Infrastructure wise, there is a LOT of potential. But it's 4.5 hours from Boston and prohibitively far from the New York metropolitan area. It's even over four hours from Montreal. And even if it was close, the Canadian dollar is in the gutter and Canada is now officially in a recession.

I suppose it can be done, but it will not be easy.

ThinkSnow

Infrastructure wise, there is a LOT of potential. But it's 4.5 hours from Boston and prohibitively far from the New York metropolitan area. It's even over four hours from Montreal. And even if it was close, the Canadian dollar is in the gutter and Canada is now officially in a recession.

I suppose it can be done, but it will not be easy.

I wouldn't necessarily say prohibitively far from the NYC metro area. How do you think Tremblant has gotten to be #1 on all those dumb surveys? College kids from the NY/NJ/PA areas. I haven't skied SB, but assume the terrain has to be better than Tremblant (which I have skied). Intrawest could make it work.

VTKilarney

I wouldn't necessarily say prohibitively far from the NYC metro area. How do you think Tremblant has gotten to be #1 on all those dumb surveys? College kids from the NY/NJ/PA areas. I haven't skied SB, but assume the terrain has to be better than Tremblant (which I have skied). Intrawest could make it work.
That is easily explained by the drinking age. Saddleback will not be their destination of choice. Trust me.

danimals

I'm from south jersey, basically philly, and saddleback has always been on my radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tipsdown

I agree....It's location is it's biggest blessing and it's biggest curse. Having said that I believe it can work under the right owner. You have to make the place special for people to make the longer commute. All the raw elements are there (arguably more so than anywhere else in the East), but the build out needs to be there. I think it has to be a big player like mentioned above...A clear vision, deep pockets, high ski business acumen and fortitude are a must!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Vail, KSL Capital, Intrawest. Lets get the big boys in here. They probably have warehouses full of chairlifts!

KSL Capital is not doing a great job at Squaw Valley FWIW. A lot of folks not happy with them.

Vail: they are on a roll.

Intrawest: I doubt it. They have had financial issues.