• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sat/Sun Jan 21st - a little snow coming....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Something is brewing for the weekend. Winnchill and NWS are pointing at roughly 4" by Saturday late for SVT. Josh Fox agrees.

day3_composite.gif

Matt Noyes is expecting a couple inches by by Friday. maybe the same thing, since his post is from 1/17.

6a00d83451c01c69e2016760b66dfb970b-800wi

The weather wonks over at American Weather (include powder freak) are pretty wired about this one. Latest model thoughts are mix between rte 2 and rte 90, all snow about 90. "I'm feeling pretty good for advisory snow (3-5") for most of the SNE region north of a HFD-PVD line...but not quite confident on 6"+ "..."I still feel pretty good about 3-5 or 3-6 even if it comes north. If we can keep a Euro type solution or what many of the GFS runs have shown, then something like 5-8" would be more prudent. "

Chins up guys. Get those skis packed.:daffy: I'll be at Magical Londonderry. The gnome will be there too.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Albany ALY checks in:
"A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKING FROM THE TENNESSEE VALLEY TOWARD
THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC COAST IS EXPECTED TO BRING A GENERALLY LIGHT
TO MODERATE SNOWFALL TO THE REGION LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY
WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVIER SNOW ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN
SOUTH AND EAST OF CAPITAL DISTRICT. IF CONFIDENCE LEVELS INCREASE
THAT MODERATE OR GREATER SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR...THEN APPROPRIATE
WINTER WEATHER WATCHES...WARNINGS OR ADVISORIES WILL BE ISSUED."

WinnChill

Just to clarify, there are a couple of quick systems rolling through the next few days--one tonight/early Friday (which Noyes map may be depicting) but then the slider on Saturday--still looks like a suppressed track skimming southern areas, mainly K-ton thru Stratton, Gunstock thru Crotched, and southernmost Maine areas like Shawnee. Still watching but that's what we got so far. Try to enjoy whatever we get because Monday is looking a little rough with some mixing.

Angus

this would be enough for the local XC center to open for the first time this season. Hurrah!!

Glenn

I was reading the discussion out of Albany last night as well. Looks like it could be a good early AM on Saturday in SoVT....fingers crossed.

Oh, and a small system may roll through tonight...good for a few inches.

ScottySkis

Just to clarify, there are a couple of quick systems rolling through the next few days--one tonight/early Friday (which Noyes map may be depicting) but then the slider on Saturday--still looks like a suppressed track skimming southern areas, mainly K-ton thru Stratton, Gunstock thru Crotched, and southernmost Maine areas like Shawnee. Still watching but that's what we got so far. Try to enjoy whatever we get because Monday is looking a little rough with some mixing.
so saturday a trip to Catmount is mid hudson valley of ny might be great but my trip to Gore on this Monday and Tuesday it might rain up there

jaja111

Thanks Bill, this thread makes me even happier that I'll be under a red dot for the "at least12inches" map in the pacific northwest this weekend. :)

WinnChill

so saturday a trip to Catmount is mid hudson valley of ny might be great but my trip to Gore on this Monday and Tuesday it might rain up there

Pretty much Scotty. Monday isn't looking that great. Will keep you posted though.

drjeff

I was reading the discussion out of Albany last night as well. Looks like it could be a good early AM on Saturday in SoVT....fingers crossed.

Oh, and a small system may roll through tonight...good for a few inches.

Hoping that this pans out and makes for another AM Express Powder morning at Mount Snow on Saturday! :) Gotta love when mother nature trys to make the extra 30 minutes that passholders get access even better than usual! :)

hammer

Planning to make it to Loon tomorrow...here's hoping that NHDOT is on top of tonight's snowfall. Still remember being involved in the I-93 pileup a few years ago which was caused in part by icy roads. Only had a few inches on the ground that time...

drjeff

Planning to make it to Loon tomorrow...here's hoping that NHDOT is on top of tonight's snowfall. Still remember being involved in the I-93 pileup a few years ago which was caused in part by icy roads. Only had a few inches on the ground that time...

The good thing is that with how cold it is today, you shouldn't see too much melting of the 1st snow as it starts to fall later today on the road surfaces, and that very often is what causes the biggest problems, getting that melting layer that then freezes up as the temp drops and more snow falls. Any liquid on the road from this one tonight should be just from the road treatment that the DOT trucks put down!

Cheese

Any snow is great news! I'm off to Stowe this weekend and I'll have my powdah boards along for the ride.

How fast does one have to charge 2'" of fresh to get float under skis that are 117cm underfoot? :roll:

4aprice