• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Goals & New Year Resolutions 2016/217

bdfreetuna

Leaves are starting to fall in my yard, and in 2 months or less many of us will be taking the first turns of the new season.

Last season was a disappointment for most of us, and it's been a hot summer. Lessons learned and plenty of time to contemplate the season ahead with beer in hand and ski footage playing on YouTube. If you're like me you're laser-focused on making this coming season one to remember. One for the books. No matter what.

Every year we get a chance to start fresh and pursue a new strategy that we have maybe 5 months to set out and accomplish. Maybe you're throwing out the old playbook; maybe you're focused on a few refinements.

Whatever the case, I'd like to hear what everyone's goals for the season are. What are you going to do differently? How's your strategy been affected by last year's poor winter? How have you focused your stoke?

Here's the plan:

- Already scored new skis / gear for both myself and the wife. First upgrade to the 1 ski quiver in 6 seasons. My wife has also now graduated from the hand-me-down, narrow skis she learned to ski with. Stoke factor +1

- Aiming for a record-breaking personal best season for me, at least since I started skiing again 6 years ago. Have stepped up the BOGO / cheap ticket / club hunt and already have a collection growing on the front of my fridge.

- Get ass out of bed earlier. 10:00AM first chair ride is not acceptable. Motivate wife to participate in this goal somehow.

- Trip to Tahoe planned in beginning of March... 6 days, 5 or 6 mountains. Tickets already acquired. Can't lose.

- More weekday skiing. Vacation days= saved up.

- Ski off the 25 lbs I put on this summer. Starting to become a yearly goal.

dlague

Goal is to ski new places using the Epic Local Pass - Vail, Breck, Beaver Creek, Park City and the Tahoe Region. Would be nice to make a trip back east if things fall in place. Also looking at Gems Card ski resorts though smaller seems like it would be fun.

Our son has new fats and we decided to use our mid fats for now since they only have one season on them. While I wanted to get fatter skis for my wife and I, locals here told me not to waste my money since a large part of skiing here is not powder and when it is it is often the 1 foot variety and the mid fats (97 underfoot) should be fine. We shall see.

Last edited:

cdskier

- Get ass out of bed earlier. 10:00AM first chair ride is not acceptable. Motivate wife to participate in this goal somehow.

- More weekday skiing. Vacation days= saved up.

- Ski off the 25 lbs I put on this summer. Starting to become a yearly goal.

These 3 to a degree... I'm usually on the mountain by 9 on weekends, but last year I realized the advantage of being on the mountain at 8 even with limited lifts running at that point. I need to do this more.

More weekday skiing would definitely be a plus if I can swing it.

And for me it is only about 5 lbs (but I think I still have the 5 lbs from the summer before too...so maybe 10 total! :smile: )

BenedictGomez

My three goals:

1) Drop 15 pounds by January 1st.

2) Start leg exercises that will keep me from tiring after tree skiing long stretches (any exercise ideas for this?)

3) Take a western Easter trip again. Easter is late this year, so I'm thinking Banff might be best, but haven't done any research yet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty moderate expectations having a toddler that won't be able to get out on the hill with me for one more year. He turns 2 in late March, so there's a chance, but unlikely.

- 20-25 days on the hill
- make it to the AZ Summit
- actually get to use my powder skis this year
- stay healthy

steamboat1

* ski at least 40 days (50 would be nice but I never seem to be able to get there).

* I could stand to lose a few pounds (10-15).

* get in better shape before my season begins (shouldn't be a problem).

* stay injury free (getting hurt sucks).

Otherwise no special trips planned. I usually do things spur of the moment anyway. Pretty much set with equipment, I did buy new goggles at the end of last season which I haven't worn yet. Skis are a couple of years old but still in good shape, boots only have one season on them. Might consider buying a helmet this year if K has the same deal in Jan. with a free lift ticket with the purchase of a helmet (ticket would be for my daughter). I've never worn a helmet in over 50 years of skiing (56 this season). All set with outerwear (still have jackets/pants I haven't worn yet). I could use a new pair of spring gloves though. That's about it.

I already get to the mountain early most days except for the morning I drive up. Leaving at 5am gets me on the mountain about 10am. Getting on the road by 5am I can handle but to get there before opening I have to leave before 4am. That's a little to early for me.

Last edited:

4aprice

50 + days ( I avg 40, last season only got 20) got to make up for last year

2 trips to the Rockies (Colorado and Utah)

6 weekend trips to Northern New England (each at a different Max Pass resort, same with out west)

I guess another goal would be to use as many Max tix as possible but its amazing when you sit down to calculate it out how few weekends there are in a season. Killington may be the only resort where I use all 5 (late season)

Any weekend not traveling, and weekday afternoons will be handled by Camelback and Mountain Creek. Hell I may push for 60.

Many have mentioned the physical aspect (dry land training) which is true of myself as well, however, I'm already on top of that as I started my regiment at the beginning of July and am already feeling the benefits of it.

The plans are big and I'm starting to get stoked about it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Tin

Don't get hurt.

Send it off the Birdcage Cliff at MRG.

Don't get hurt.

Resort to buckets of water or just leaving if the woman does not get out of bed within 10 minutes of alarm.

Don't get hurt.

dlague

Skiing with in my means and not thinking that I have to try something stupid to show that I am hardcore. Take what the mountain gives me and have fun!

JDMRoma

Don't get hurt.

Send it off the Birdcage Cliff at MRG.

Don't get hurt.

Resort to buckets of water or just leaving if the woman does not get out of bed within 10 minutes of alarm.

Don't get hurt.

Buckets of water could get you hurt. !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Try not to break another ski.

Drop 10lbs

Train on Nordic Trac with leg weights.

I made up an exercise to keep my balance in tune. Hold right foot back with right hand and do a one leg squat. looking for other ideas for balance exercises.

Keep equipment in vehicle for emergency ski therapy day.

Ski Magic and a few other Red headed step child areas .

Ski. Just ski whatever and wherever I can. Only 15 days last winter, 21 the year before. Not bad, but higher aspirations. Joined a ski club to meet fellow skiers as most of my ski friends have either stopped skiing or have such limited availability that it makes it tough.

I retired, so now living the dream of uncrowded midweek slopes, but last year wasn't up to my expectations. Thinking of the AZ Summit or other ways to meet passionate, off-piste skiers. I like to explore the mountains and seldom ski the same areas multiple times, but I also look for deals as I've done the family ski weekends where big bucks were dropped.

I'm now getting selfish, a western trip that's different from SLC or CO as I've done that multiple times, perhaps KH or Big Sky is one of my goals.

Being out on the mountain feels like freedom and I find enjoyment almost every time I'm skiing. Praying for a great winter!!

bdfreetuna

Keep equipment in vehicle for emergency ski therapy day.

Highly recommended. I convert my car to a 2 seater for the duration of the season. Well, there's a pass through to the trunk. People can sit in the back but they get to use my skis as an arm rest. Gotta be ready to ski 24/7.

sugarbushskier, I like the cut of your jib, old man. Maybe add AZ Summit to the list as well. Haven't done that yet-- do love Sugarbush.

cdskier

I'd also like to simply add "ski MRG" to my list this year...but I really want to ski it mid-week.

abc

I never did NY resolutions. :) Besides, it's too late. My season now starts before the New Year.

I have no goal except to have FUN!

But I do have PLANS. Travel plans I'm talking about. I have the MCP pass again this season. So there will be a lot of flying and a lot of driving. And a lot of skiing in new places too!

Christmas/New Year: the same as last year, Altabird+Jackson+Sun Valley

End-of-Jan/early-Feb: Taos to do the ski week. Aspen at the tail end. If the weather god is good, I may swing by and hit Telluride too.

Early March: Whistler+Revelstoke+Banff

Sometime in April: Squaw + Mammoth

A weekend to Stowe when the condition is good.

That's a lot of travelling. The rest of the time, I'll be resting and recuperating from all the travels. Day trip the Cats when condition is good.