• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seeded Moguls

jaysunn

I searched google without many results. I have a question in regards to seeded moguls. I know these are manmade, however how are they made? Are they made from a tiller on a cat?

gmcunni

there is a thread here with video and detailed descriptions (various techniques). i'll try to find it

jaysunn

Thanks for digging this up. @gmcunni

Using a snowcat, this is the basic process:

Begin first line of moguls by pushing up a blade of snow. Crawl over pile of snow, and begin next pile while descending the last pile. Get into a rhythm (or follow bamboo/flags set to FIS standards if you're building a comp course) all the way up/down (depending on whether winching or free grooming) the line. The cut off 2/3 of the width of the piles you just made. Begin next line by positioning piles beside and between the piles you just made. Repeat until you're satisfied with the number of lines.

It's really hard to describe. I just seeded a couple lines last night at Ski Cooper. Next time I do it, I'll get some video. Maybe even make a "how-to" for other cat operators.

gmcunni

Watch what Sundown does, take notes, and do the opposite!
really? have you skied Sundown ?

P1010051.JPG

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Rats... I just seeded more last night and neglected to do the helmet cam. Well, one of these days I'll make a video of seeding moguls.......

They came out really nice after all the snow. Prepped the area with a compactor bar instead of a tiller to keep the snow softer. Let it set overnight, and it was just right: set up enough to form piles, but soft enough to ski them in with minimal effort.

Savemeasammy

It must be a whole different game out there! Do you seed b/c of low traffic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikec142

Skied Camelback this past weekend and two trails (Lower Cleo and Rocket) had moguls (natural). While still a ton of fun, I found that I enjoyed the seeded moguls at Blue Mountain (Nightmare) more because it was easier for me to pick a line and do the run top to bottom. Guess I'm getting old. Either way, both varieties are a blast.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
It must be a whole different game out there! Do you seed b/c of low traffic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an interesting situation here at Ski Cooper. We do have pretty low traffic density. Also, however, over the past two decades or so, the marketing push had been toward beginners. So our clientele shifted to mostly first timers through intermediates (and we do, in fact, have some of the best learning terrain in the country). As a result, the good mogul terrain that used to exist disappeared. We're shifting our marketing focus, trying to get the word out that there's terrain for all abilities here (even if we don't have the Mary Jane Chutes or the East Wall), and seeding moguls is helping to produce some of that variety until they start forming on their own again. Actually, after the last big storm, some did form on their own. So there is hope!