• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shawnee Peak, ME 3/2/08

deadheadskier

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, March 2nd, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Shawnee Peak, ME

Conditions: Packed Powder, Windblown powder stashes

Trip Report:

Late start to today. It was my girls bday yesterday we were up late for company for dinner. Woke around 9 with it windy as hell out. Called the mountain and the main summit triple was closed, but might open up in the afternoon when the winds died down. The were running the east side summit triple though. Fixed breakfast, then headed to the mountain arriving at 1:00 and the main Summit Triple was spinning.

Windy, but Bluebird day. Waiting in line for the main summit triple was quite frustrating. The line was LONG and they had no Q lines set up at all. I was a single, there was no distinguished singles line and I just kep watching singles and two's head up while the mob just inched towards the chair. I was heading to the east/sunny side as quickly as I got up there.

Last Sunday, Upper Codys was the run of the day for me. The snow was crunchy then, but the bumps had a nice flow to them. Today, the snow was far superior to a week ago, but the bumps weren't quite a enjoyable. They were good, much larger than a week ago, but inevitably, bumps go from looking like footballs facing downhill to footballs facing across hill. The latter is still fun, but I like to run bumps fairly straight line and when they start getting more horizontol in the troughs, they jar your body a bit more and aren't quite as enjoyable.

Codys

IMGP1502.jpg

linked it to Poachers Paradise, which was much better than last week when the bumps were hard as anvils, but still a bit horizontal for my liking.

IMGP1495.jpg

Got on the Sunnyside Triple and saw that 'The Gut' and the lower right hand side of Applachian were not groomed. Bumps were a bit smallish, but they were close together and running verticley down hill so I could straightline the zipper with much less jarring. PERFECT

IMGP1491_edited.jpg

Spent the rest of my day running this shot until they shut down that side of the mountain at 3:45. BEST bumps I had skied all year. Nice and tight, a tad small, but they were great. Got a nice shout out from the lift for my efforts, which is always nice. Makes me feel like 'the old man still has it a bit'. It was a couple of kids saying 'dude, you just killed that'. I responed, nope, it just killed my legs. Today was fun, but I was completely GASSED from yesterday at Black. My legs were screaming with every turn.

Last run did Upper to Lower Hagerts on the Main Face of the mountain. There were some decent bumps in there, though no where near as good as the Gut. That said, Haggerts has amazing views of Mount Washintong

From a distance

IMGP1504.jpg

closer up

IMGP1503.jpg

I skied like crap from fatigue, but it was still a killer afternoon on the slopes. SO MUCH SNOW in the mountains right now. I'm heading out to Florida for a week tomorrow morning, but I know I'll be coming back to two solid months of great skiing.

Driving through the Bridgton Maine snow tunnel on the way :)
IMGP1518.jpg

Terry

My wife and I and the crew skied the peak on sat. Got first tracks down the gut and right side of lower app. There were huge grins on everyone. Just an amazing day to be out there. On every trail you could find powder stashes and there were no lift lines all day. I think that it was my best day ever on skis! My wife was on a pair of Rossignol attraxion V demo skis and her skiing improved tremendously. They are basically a womens version of the Z9. After skiing on them all day, we stopped at the Sportshaus and walked out of there with a new Pair! It was an unplanned purchase but they only had 1 pair left in her size and they were on sale so we took the plunge.

Terry

The edge of my roof is 10 feet high out back, and I just went out and shoveled 2 feet of snow bank down so it is below the eaves again. Unreal.