• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

shovelling techniques

ctenidae

I find that spending the extra few bucks for a good shocel makes a huge difference.

Straight handle, metal blade, loop top.

Grassi21

I find that spending the extra few bucks for a good shocel makes a huge difference.

Straight handle, metal blade, loop top.

straight handle is where its at. those offset ones suck IMO.

hammer

straight handle is where its at. those offset ones suck IMO.
I actually like the offset handles, easier on the back.

I have a metal-edged shovel for scraping the driveway (getting up with my 13YO Home Depot special snow blower can't get to) but my son uses a plastic blade shovel for the brick walkway.

I'd like to get a new snow blower soon...would rather wait until a good sale comes along.

wa-loaf

n1639840993_66108_549.jpg

wa-loaf

Nice.

Was that with one pass? If so, what kind of snow blower do you have...

Two, it's a 1983 Lawnboy 5hp. I got it for free. The electric start is broken, but it still starts on one pull and is a work horse.

Trekchick

I have a John Deere 544 J Front end loader with an 8 cu yd snow bucket. Works well for me :)

For my sidewalks, I have an 8ph Simplicity 2 stage snowblower ;)

drjeff

I have a John Deere 544 J Front end loader with an 8 cu yd snow bucket. Works well for me :)
Well, I guess that would work ;)

For my sidewalks, I have an 8ph Simplicity 2 stage snowblower ;)

I use the same Simplicity 8hp/2 stage for my home snowremoval. Love it, and as I've already said to camp, Simplicities are a REALLY cool color! :)

Many times though I will admit as I'm clearing the driveway to daydreaming that instead of an 8HP gas powered 2 stage snowblower, that I'm using an 8HP gas powered snowgun :) :rolleyes: ;) And I'm sure that just about anyone on this board who uses a snowblower has had similiar dreams! :)

drjeff

Due to an end of season rush on office work, we've hired a farm kid to to my sidewalk shoveling. I miss it very much. :(

In all seriousness, I find that snowremoval duties in the winter and lawn cutting duties in the non snow months to be a GREAT source of mental traquility for me. And for this reason, and not just my ski love, I wish that we'd get clearable storms atleast once, if not twice a week all winter long.

ctenidae

In all seriousness, I find that snowremoval duties in the winter and lawn cutting duties in the non snow months to be a GREAT source of mental traquility for me. And for this reason, and not just my ski love, I wish that we'd get clearable storms atleast once, if not twice a week all winter long.

I believe getting your hands dirty is the best way to keep your head clean.

Drink your orange juice.

I like the term mental traquility..a combination of that and leisure time is what I live for..I really hope New England has a snowpack that lasts all winter and into the late Spring.

Do you guys use much salt as well?? I used alot of it at work today but isn't it really bad for the environment? It erodes at everything..

Jisch

Yes

make 1 line down the middle of the drive way. then take start and one end and just hammer it out on one side. then switch directions for the other side (depending on how the abs feel)

+1 on this technique.

I have a blower, but its old and used and breaks down, and for many years I didn't have one at all. It is amazing how quickly you can go with a blower versus shoveling. Much like the difference between cutting the lawn with a push mover versus the tractor.

The middle down the line technique is exactly how I do it. I look at shoveling as a form of excercise and try to find a pace that gets my heart rate up and I can maintain for a long period of time. My driveway is 120' long, so depending on the snow, it can be a 2 or 3 hour work out.

John